• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grappling questions in general...

Kemrain

First Post
Well, a fighter will have a higher attack bonus and grapple check, but the monk will probably end up dealing more damage when he hits, what with unarmed damage being scaled. The monk, however, with the power bonuses, will hit noticably less often.

Can you use Power Attack in a grapple, I wonder?

- Kemrain the Weak.

PrinceZane

First Post
So it pretty much comes down to what you really want to do. Fighter if you just want to hold em down while your buddies beat the snot outta the bad guys, or monk if u want to hold em and do a little damage.... gotcha :)

IcyCool

First Post
If you have Complete Warrior, be sure to check out the Reaping Mauler prestige class. If memory serves, it will work great with the fighter approach.

Gort

Explorer
Surely barbarian with improved unarmed strike and improved grapple is the way to go.

However, the spell "freedom of movement" negates your character entirely.

PrinceZane

First Post
I was thinking Human fighter, with 18 str + 2 ability pts to equal 20 str, plus belt giant str +4 for a 24 str, and pick appropriate feats, that way he could do some nice grabs, but still be able to smack someone around if he had to or couldn't grab...

Croaker

First Post
I have had a great deal of success with a grappling-oriented druid; a lot of wildshape options are great for grapplers, especially once you can go Large, and naturall weapons do a good bit of damage. One tactic I've been experimenting with lately is casting Airwalk, then using the "move opponent" option to head upwards; after a few rounds, the opponent stops wanting to escape at all... plus, it helps avoid getting pounded on by the subject's allies.

Ezieer

First Post
Legildur said:
No. A Flurry of Blows involves unarmed strikes. So monk would make as many grapple checks to deal damage as his BAB allowed. However, he could choose to use FoB if he were willing to use the 'strike an opponent' grapple option as an unarmed strike is a light weapon and therefore can be used in a grapple. But note that you cannot use 2 light weapons in a grapple.

I'm not completely sold on the above, but I don't know either way. I was actually looking for opinions on this.

Any char can use his higher BAB to "Attack Your Opponent" more than once if it allows, but I don't see any FOB in the grapple section or the Monk section. It specifically indicated that in 3.0 in the Monk section, but does not in 3.5.

At least some monsters get to use all their attacks. Case in point, the Behir gets to attack with all its constrict ability and all its leg in a grapple. You could say that is part of the constrict ability/Beherness though.

In the absense of a real ruling, I'd say it was up to the DM.

kjenks

First Post
Grappler build recommendation

Human. Monk for two levels, switch alignment to Neutral or Chaotic, then Barbarian 1 and fighter the rest of the way. This gives you Improved Grapple and unarmed strike, rage and Greater Weapon Specialization (Armor Spikes). Put stats in Str, Con.

Wear spiked light armor (mithral breastplate). Add Holy, Frost, Flaming, Shocking to your +1 adamantine armor spikes for extra damage. With light armor, you lose a couple of minor Monk abilities (Flurry, Wis bonus to AC), but you retain Barbarian fast movement.

Take Power Attack, Improved Toughness and Extra Rage feats. Ignore Reaping Mauler, Close Quarters Fighting, and all of those other Complete Warrior things. Take the Mage Slayer feat from Complete Arcane.

The 3.5e PH says armor spikes inflict extra piercing damage after a successful grapple check. This might mean you get your Str bonus to damage twice (once on unarmed strike damage, again on armor spikes). The 3.5e FAQ kind of makes that rule revert to the 3e version of armor spikes, but that FAQ entry may mean that you have the option of NOT inflicting extra damage if you don't want to. Ask your DM.

Power Attack adds to your unarmed strike damage, but may not (at DM's option; rules are ambiguous) decrease your grapple check. Grapple damage is like unarmed strike. But Power Attack doesn't give a damage bonus to armor spikes (they're a light martial weapon).

Carry a decent greatsword (+1 adamantine Ghost Touch) and a +1 Holy bow for those foes who can't be grappled. Boots of Speed. Some means of flying. Belt of Giant Strength. Amulet of Health. Gloves of Fearsome Grip (A&EG, +5 grapple checks). Cloak of Displacement. Vest of Resistance. Ring of Spell Storing (Enlarge Person, Alter Self, True Strike, Silence, Mirror Image) (might want to carry scrolls to help your caster buddies to recharge your ring). Ring of Counterspells (Dominate Person).

If your caster buddies usually lead off with Haste, change Boots of Speed to Winged Boots.

The Greater Magic Weapon spell is your friend, especially if your caster buddy has the Chain Spell feat.

With Silence from your bard or cleric buddy or from your Ring of Spell Storing, you grapple an enemy spellcaster and he's toast. Pin him to make sure or just squish him.

Rely on Displacement and Mirror Image instead of armor class, or just rely on big HP cuz yer gonna get hit anyway.

Remove ads