• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grappling when not seeing

edhel

Explorer
What do you think: Do you get a 50% miss chance and be flat-footed if you grapple an opponent you don't see?

This situation occured in my campaign when a player was grappling an invisible foe.

I ruled that you don't get the miss chance unless you're attacking the foe with a weapon in grapple. It seemed logical that, even though being invisible while grappling might give you some advantage, you know where your opponent is.

Also, what if the invisible opponent had had sneak attack? Could've he used it? (And can you feint in a grapple?)

.: edhel

P.S We also made a house rule after a grapple with a disguised medusa. The rules state that you can prevent a pinned opponent from speaking so I decided that you could cover the opponents eyes or turn his head away. This was to prevent the petrificating gaze of the medusa.

And covering the eyes wouldn't make the opponent blinded, it was just for to prevent the gaze. More like preventing eye contact.

Patlin

Explorer
For whatever it's worth (maybe nothing) in real life, I've seen blind people play Judo with seeing people. The only concession granted is that the players start out in physical contact with one another, and they pause the match and put them back in contact if that contact is broken. They seem to do OK.

Maybe a reduced penalty without the blind fighting feat, and no penalty with? This would be a house rule, but the RAW don't (and can't) address every possible situation. Adventurers do crazy things...

Egres

First Post
What do you think: Do you get a 50% miss chance and be flat-footed if you grapple an opponent you don't see?
I'm not sure about your questions,but i just can't see why you should be flat-footed.

Just being invisible doesn't make your opponents flat-footed.

Last edited:

drunkmoogle

First Post
Welcome to the boards.

edhel said:

This situation occured in my campaign when a player was grappling an invisible foe.
By the RAW the 50% miss chance applies to the melee touch to initiate the grapple, and any attacks with light weapons during the grapple. It's fine with me.

edhel said:
Also, what if the invisible opponent had had sneak attack?
Sure, he could use his sneak attack. The defender is denied his Dex to AC due to invisibility. Note that if the attacker were not invisible in the same situation, he would not be able to SA; in a grapple you are denied Dex to AC from everyone outside of the grapple.

edhel said:
(And can you feint in a grapple?)
Sure you could.

edhel

Explorer
Egres said:
I'm not sure about your questions,but i just can't see why you should be flat-footed.

Just being invisible doesn't make your opponents flat-footed.

Yeah, I just mixed losing your Dex to AC and being flat-footed.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads