• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Graveborn - What are they?

Ninja-to

First Post
I started reading Open Grave and noticed a quote in there that made a reference to graveborn, saying that Shadar-Kai sometimes will deal with them (as opposed to killing them outright).

What are graveborn? Can't seem to find them anywhere.

cpendlet

First Post
I thought it was a DDI only character race (in Dragon - one of the earlier online only ones), however it is not in the character builder.

I tried googling it and found hits for a WoW NPC so my google-foo failed me :)

Stumblewyk

Adventurer
I thought it was a DDI only character race (in Dragon - one of the earlier online only ones), however it is not in the character builder.
My gut tells me "Graveborn" is another name for Revenants (a DDI-only PC race) but obviously - my gut is far from an official source for anything of any kind of value whatsoever.

cpendlet

First Post
My gut tells me "Graveborn" is another name for Revenants (a DDI-only PC race) but obviously - my gut is far from an official source for anything of any kind of value whatsoever.

You are correct, I was thinking of the Revenants. I was about to update my post indicating this.

Ryujin

Legend
IIRC Revenants are DEX/CON, with an ability to do bonus necrotic damage once per encounter, and the ability to take various feats in order to obtain some flavour of their former race. Odds are that they either were derived from that homebrew, and they forgot to change the name in that part of Open Grave, or it was the original name, and wasn't fixed in all of the text that existed prior to finalization.

Ninja-to

First Post
Interesting.

Another strange thing about Open Grave was in this thread.

Can't say I'm all too impressed with the amount of Errata 4th Edition has needed since release. Before release I remember there being talk about digital versions of the book that you would 'own' with some code provided in the books when you bought them. These digital versions would then be updated with the new Errata. It was a fantastic idea that they obviously scrapped for some unknown reason. I guess it was something to do with some imaginary loss of revenue, but ironically I've stopped buying books because of it. DDI is doing about 70% of the job which I guess is better than it was in 3rd Edition.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
Not so unknown. Early PDFs of the rulebooks made it into various illegal distribution channels. If you can't control what happens with the material after you release it, then you can't release it and expect to profit from it. They didn't.

If you're using and paying for DDI then you're essentially getting what was promised, AND they're still making money from it. I use DDI too but I still prefer to have real books, however flawed.

Aegeri

First Post
Interesting.

Another strange thing about Open Grave was in this thread.

The point of the first paragraph is that constructs that have souls in them - for example the method that is arguably used to create Warforged in Eberron - may become undead (there are indeed creatures in 4E with both the undead and undead keywords). The second establishes that soulless creatures cannot become undead and gives the example of constructs, which are generally creatures without a soul. They are not in any way a major error in editing or similar. I'm confused as to what you're getting at here.

As for Graveborn I have no idea what they are. But I would just use them however I felt like. It's not a major thing to mention something and not stat it. Otherwise he'd have a major problem talking about Gods in 4E.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads