• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grease - Uses of and effectivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Jeff Wilder said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyCool
"Jeff is a poopy-head!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdweller
"Jeff is a poopy-head!"

So ... anybody have an actual argument, or is this enough for you?

Neither poster made the quoted statements you have attributed them. Where I come from, that's known as a "lie".

However, if you want to claim the title, I'm certainly not going to argue with you.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Do I understand the Custserv response correctly?

If I make the DC 27 check to move halfway across a severely slippery, sloped tightrope stretched across a bottomless chasm, and then stop in the middle, I'm not considered flat-footed later in the round when someone shoots an arrow at me?

I'm only 'balancing' while I'm moving on the severely slippery, sloped tightrope stretched across a bottomless chasm?

-Hyp.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Hypersmurf said:

If I make the DC 27 check to move halfway across a severely slippery, sloped tightrope stretched across a bottomless chasm, and then stop in the middle, I'm not considered flat-footed later in the round when someone shoots an arrow at me?

I'm only 'balancing' while I'm moving on the severely slippery, sloped tightrope stretched across a bottomless chasm?

-Hyp.

Only if you want to be extremely logical and reasonable about it. :)

Zandel

First Post
Originally Posted by JW
Are you pulling my leg?

I wasn't but......*pulls JW's legs out from under him aided by the all mighty grease spell*

First check DC = 10.

Second check DC = 15.

You do understand that the above is an example of an "increasing check DC," right?

That would only be true if it was for the same skill AND the same situation. Trying to move on a slipery surface being very careful (half speed) is not the same as fighting on the same surface. Also the Fighting check would be at DC 20+ because it's at least twice as hard to fight on a slippery surface as it is to move carefuly.

As for your statement that the DM is "required" to call for skill checks, I'm not going to argue that except to say that to the extent that's true, it's only when other rules aren't engaged.

If something isn't stated in the rules or goes against what is right and reasonable then the DM is required to call for the roll/s to make it right.
Just remember that A DM doesn't have to use the DC's recomended in a spell or for that matter the skill checks, He/she Must make judgement calls when things don't work right and this is still playing by the rules and not making up house rules.

Maybe so, but this isn't the "Guidelines" forum. I've got no problem with your suggestion as a house rule in your game, going by the "guidelines" approach. But it's not the rules. Whether the rules are important in general is beside the point; it's self-evident that the rules are important in a rules forum.

Make sure to remember that the rules are ALL guidelines as stated in the DMG.

-Hyp.

Not to mention that if you take a single 5' step (FYI min of 2 steps to make 5') you are consided Flat-footed while moving but not if your dancing on the spot.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
As things stand, yes, that's correct. But note that this illogic is not the result of WCS's answer ... it is, instead, because of the illogic of the Balance skill:

"You can walk on a precarious surface. A successful check lets you move at half your speed along the surface for 1 round."

Note that the Balance skill itself only requires a Balance check for movement. If you're simply standing on that oiled tightrope, there's no Balance check required.

That's why "balancing" needs better definition.

Note that if the Balance skill said "you can walk or stand on a precarious surface," this wouldn't be a problem (although it would introduce others). Grease would still say "make a Balance check to move" (superseding the general rule) or perhaps just "make Balance checks as normal" (if they want grease (and ice, and damp floors) to make nearly everyone standing on them sneak attackable).

(Boy, with that change, it sure would suck to be a frost giant living in ice caverns, trying to repel thieves ... )

So what would be a good balancing condition?

"If a character is in the process of movement that requires a Balance check, or is standing on a surface less than 1/2 the size of the character's normal space, the character is considered to be balancing." I'm sure that can be improved ... any suggestions? (I deliberately left out "standing on slippery but otherwise solid footing," because it seems clear that's not what the game designers want, and I happen to agree.)

Zandel

First Post
"A character in an area that requires a balance check to move is considered balancing"

Seems good to me. Simple and effective. And i'd make frost giants immune to balance checks caused by an icy surface but not any other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads