• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Great white wyrm - DEAD

Wee Jas

First Post
Help me beat a great white wyrm - MY DM KEEP OUT!

-
-
-
-
-
-

So our group has to take on a great white wyrm in it's lair.

We have:

Lvl 14 cleric / Lvl 1 Fighter Domains: Death and Magic
Lvl 14 half orc fighter (+5 Greatsword)
Lvl 13 Sorcerer (all her stuff got melted recently)
Lvl 13 wizard
Lvl 14 Cleric
(1 additional lvl 14 character - unknown)

I don't think we have the firepower to take it. So give me suggestions!

This is my only plan so far: I'd cast anti-life shell on myself so it couldn't melee me. I'd attempt a spell battle with it. I have 4 Destructions memorized so I'd pray (get it? I'm a cleric) that one of those would sneak through. The only other spell that might be effective would be blindness. Maybe my mask of the Skull. I'd never close in for the Harm or Slay Living cause the dragon would rip through my hit points. If all that fails I'll word of Recall back to Spellforge to live to fight another day.

Last edited:

BiggusGeekus@Work

Community Supporter
I dunno.

Obviously buff everyone with anti-cold spells. But I think you have the idea. Have one cleric on healing duty and the other on Destruction duty.

Does anyone have any spells to lower the creature's resistances?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Things to be prepared for:

- Ice cold water -- everyone should be able to swim, breathe water and get out of a pit made of smooth ice.

- Iced surfaces -- everyone should have excellent balance, the ability to fly, or Boots of the Winterlands.

- Massive damage -- ice is easy to work. If I were a dragon, I'd have no issues with collapsing my entire lair upon a bunch of interlopers. It's easy enough to make a new one.

-- Nifft

LGodamus

First Post
Are you guys not taking j crowe with you?

Anyway, try to get the level 6 cleric spell from tome & blood called energy immunity : gives you 100% immunity to one energy type for 24 hours.
there is also a level 3 spell called mass resist elements in there .
also owls wisdom is in the same book , it is level 2 and works like bull strength only for wis...you will need those if you want to get your dc high enough for acessiwal to fail.
Also check out Divine Flame from defenders of the faith.....it deal fire damage to any cold type creature that comes near you....unfortunately it gives a fort save..it is level 2 though.
blessed aim is a level 3 that gives a plus 2 to ranged attacks....speaking of which you need to get your group using some ranged weapons ...or grumbar and shade will go down fast.
Flame of faith ...same book.....level 3 makes normal weapons flaming burst.
Bears heart is level 5 but will give every one in your group +4 str & 14d4 temporary hp.

I will try to think of a good strategy to post soon.............when is game day?

Why play its game? Don't ever meet a dragon on the dragon's terms if you can avoid it.

Is there any way you can sucker it out? Killing minions/young, spreading rumors of a great treasure to be had, attempt to parley, etc?

Is the lair in ice, or stone? If ice, use fire-based spells to begin collapsing the lair from the outside in. It will probably come out eventually ...

Cygnus

First Post
This sounds all too familiar to a certain Necromancer/Alienest character that I have.

Advice for casters: Dispell and Buff others, I used my highest spells to summon Fire elementals (true strike with the alienest template was the only way they could hit) until the dragons protections were halfway striped, they were the only things that could hit him. Remember he has had A LOT of time to prepare for you!

schporto

First Post
I like teleport. Have your sorcerer teleport the fighter right behind its head (yeah in mid-air). Your fighter will have to be primed to act as the teleport occurs, and power attacks at the neck. Or try to pull off an aimed shot at the base of its skull. Feather fall helps at this point. 1 shot attack that will probably leave sorcerer dead and maybe the fighter, but nothing like unconventional tactics. Hell grab the ground and teleport as much earth as possible right over his head. Rock falls on top while you feather fall till you can teleport or get eaten. Sorry 700 lbs (minus your body weight) is gonna hurt a bit even if only from a few feet above its head.
-cpd

LGodamus

First Post
Vek will be the key to winning this battle.....Does kizz have fly? I can't remember.......if not you guys will need some scrolls....you cannot let the dragon out manuever you. If you can get the spells I mentioned above and keep orthos on healing and buffing duty and you keep dropping the big spells on him you will win....Do not be afraid to Harm him since you guys still use the broken version ...just be sure to dimension lock him first so he doesnt teleport away before you guys can get those last 1-4 hp gone.......harm is your best shot ...since you are a lich even if he wipes you out you only need that one touch and kizz or shade can do the rest......good luck!

Wee Jas

First Post
Gameday is the 18th. So I have time.

We use the Nerfed Harm. Gah. Not going to be that easy! I use HArm as 'heal for me' anyhow.. lol.

Yeah, add a lvl 14 Wizard to that mix!

Why play its game? I wish we didn't have to /grumble

energy immunity : gives you 100% immunity to one energy type for 24 hours.

there is also a level 3 spell called mass resist elements in there .
also owls wisdom is in the same book , it is level 2 and works like bull strength only for wis...you will need those if you want to get your dc high enough for acessiwal to fail

Flame of faith ...same book.....level 3 makes normal weapons flaming burst.

Bears heart is level 5 but will give every one in your group +4 str & 14d4 temporary hp..

Good stuff there. Maybe I'll rethink my spell selection again.

Does anyone have any spells to lower the creature's resistances?

How?

Jeremy

Explorer
White Dragon Strengths -

Great in Melee
Cold Breath Weapon
Great Lair Protections like slippery ground/cave ins/freezing water
Blindsight/Fog spells

White Dragon Weaknesses -

Not so clever as dragons go
Double Damage from Fire
Low caster level
Not so many hit points as dragons go

Great way to kill white dragons is to load up on cold and fire protections (none to clever way to diversify, pick up your opposite) then go in flying and dispel the dragon. As it's caster level is generally pretty meager, it is much easier than normal to dispel a white dragon's buffs. Once it is dispelled, fire spells do great damage that eat up it's meager hp really quick. And with both a sorcerer (he's got at least fireball right? If not more?) and a flame striking cleric, that can be a pretty devestating way to take him down if you can dispel his fire protections.

Other than that, many of the generic dragon slaying techniques will work fine here too.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads