• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Greatbow Ranger and Sneak Attack

Nullzone

Explorer
I see this a lot in charop, and occasionally in Organized Play, so I'm trying to get my thumb on it once and for all because it strikes me slightly absurd; CA aside, can a Greatbow Ranger even use Sneak Attack (via Rogue MC)? Based on the compendium, I'm thinking not:

Sneak of Shadows [Multiclass Rogue]

Prerequisite: Dex 13
Benefit: You gain training in the Thievery skill.
Once per encounter, you can use the rogue’s Sneak Attack class feature.
SNEAK ATTACK
When you make an attack with a light blade, a hand crossbow, a shortbow, or a sling and hit an enemy granting combat advantage to you, that enemy takes extra damage based on your level (see the Sneak Attack table). You can deal this extra damage only once per turn.
So if that first line in SA continues to remain true on the MC (which it certainly seems to since the MC feat just says you get access to the feature), MC rogue is doing eff-all for a greatbow ranger.

Do you concur?

Last edited:

Nullzone

Explorer
Hmm, searching a little harder I see where they're getting it. They take Treetop Sniper as well!

Treetop Sniper

Heroic Tier
Prerequisite: Elf, rogue
Benefit: You can use any bow with Sneak Attack or any rogue power that normally requires a crossbow.

Sorry for the waste of a thread :p

bganon

Explorer
Yeah, I houseruled that one real quick: I let any race take Treetop Sniper, but it only works with shortbows. IMO that's how it should've worked to begin with.

Aulirophile

First Post
Yeah, I houseruled that one real quick: I let any race take Treetop Sniper, but it only works with shortbows. IMO that's how it should've worked to begin with.
You allow any race to take a feat, but modify the feat so that is does what Sneak Attack already does? Generous of you to make the feat useless and still allow people to take it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads