• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Greater invisibility spamming?

mellored

Legend
I want to build an invisible stalker with cunning action, booming blade, warcaster, and as much greater invisibility as i can muster.

So what's the best way to maximize the number of times i can cast greater invisibility?

RSIxidor

Adventurer
It's on the Warlock's Archfey Expanded list. So, two times per short rest at level 7. Depending on party makeup, they'll be able to cast it more than any other will.
Cunning action is a 2 level dip into Rogue. After that, I'd consider Wizard for Bladesinger for the concentration boost (AC and CON saves) that Bladesong provides and some spell slots for other spells. You also get Mage Armor from either Warlock invocation or Wizard spells. You'll have 4 invocations so you've got a pick of others. I'd either go Fighter 1 at first level or Human Variant for CON save proficiency.

On the topic of items, Pearl of Power, Cloak of Invisibility, Cloak of Displacement (not quite as good but gives DA), Potions of Invisibility all look like they fit the theme you're going for. While the CoD doesn't provide actual invisibility, it doesn't have a time-limit like the CoI or PoI does. If you can manage to craft PoI, then that's awesome.

Last edited:

Noctem

Explorer
Warlock sounds solid and so does the fighter starting point for CON saves + weapon / armor. But I personally don't like the idea of going into bladesinger. I would much prefer to continue into fighter to get the extra attacks, feats and features there. Something like Fighter 11 / Warlock 7 / Rogue 2. Start fighter 1 -> Warlock 1-4 (getting ABI and features going) -> Rogue 1-2 (expertise, cunning action, sneak attack) -> Warlock 5-7 (finish off warlock) -> Fighter 2-11 (rushing back to grab feats and features) maybe?

Last edited:

RSIxidor

Adventurer
Bladesinger's really just to protect your concentration saves and a small AC boost. Extra Attack is a nice trade-off, though. Suppose it depends on whether you care more about keeping your GI active or more about dealing more damage. I guess if you go Fighter at all, you go for it again above level 10. You can go Eldritch Knight to get some more low level spells and Cunning Action for use with Booming Blade.

Keep in mind that if Booming Blade is part of the goal here, Extra Attack doesn't matter much. Maybe that's where two versions of this build deviate.

mellored

Legend
It's on the Warlock's Archfey Expanded list. So, three times per short rest at level 7.
Warlock is perfect thanks.

I forgot to check their sub-classes.

Though it's 2x per short rest. I need warlock 11 for 3x.

Depending on party makeup, they'll be able to cast it more than any other will.
Well this will require some party cooperation. I need enemies to move to get an OA for booming blade to trigger. And they won't if my party rushes them.

Cunning action is a 2 level dip into Rogue. After that, I'd consider Wizard for Bladesinger for the concentration boost (AC and CON saves) that Bladesong provides and some spell slots for other spells. You also get Mage Armor from either Warlock invocation or Wizard spells. You'll have 4 invocations so you've got a pick of others. I'd either go Fighter 1 at first level or Human Variant for CON save proficiency.
Flying (winged tielfing or the birdman), let's me hide not just next to someone, but above their head too. Much less chance i'll accidentally be hit by a breath weapon or something.

Going further in rogue will boost damage with sneak attack. 4d8+4d6+dex+cha is a lot of damage to deal to someone who moves. Plus they get a bonus ASI at 6. Not sure what sub-class though.

Also, bladesinger needs Int, and i'll already need Cha/Dex + warcaster.

Warlock sounds solid and so does the fighter starting point for CON saves + weapon / armor. But I personally don't like the idea of going into bladesinger. I would much prefer to continue into fighter to get the extra attacks, feats and features there. Something like Fighter 11 / Warlock 7 / Rogue 2
I don't see how fighter 11 since i'm depending on booming blade for damage. EK 7 doesn't help either since i need the bonus action for hiding.

Fighter 3/4 i could see. Action surge is always good, and can let me "quicken" greater invisibility, and battlemaster's precision strike helps ensure i hit.
Goading attack to just to be mean. (disadvantage to attack anyone but the invisible hidden guy!!!).

So maybe warlock 8/fighter 4/rogue 8?

Though rogue 10 is tempting to boost my stealth.
And warlock 11 is also tempting for more invisibility...

Hmm...

Last edited:

TheBigHouse

Explorer
Blade pact warlock already gets you extra attack via invocation so i think taking fighter past 4 is not as useful. Also, if you are spamming booming blade, you won't use extra attack.

Fighter 2 or 4 (champion), Warlock 8 (fayblade), Rogue 4 (assassin), Paladin 4 or 6 could be interesting.

Since you always have advantage with greater invis you are going to crit more often. Champion helps that even more, and pali lets you throw huge smites when you do crit. Assassinate feature is obviously great. Lots of ASIs if you go to 4 (or 8) in each. You can choose between improved critical and one ASI or pali 6 for the save aura. Since you are invisible, you can always position yourself to hit as many allies as possible with the aura at the end of your turn. Pali 6 does waste an extra attack, though.

Half Elf 8/16/15/8/10/17

Fighter 1 -> Warlock 8 (Warcaster + 18 dex) -> 4 rogue (cunning action, assassinate, 20 dex) -> fighter 2 (action surge) -> Pali 6 (smite, 18 CHA, 16 CON, and save aura)

OR

Variant Human 8/16/14/8/10/16 (any feat, probably inspiring leader or alert)

Fighter 1 -> Warlock 8 (Warcaster + 18 dex) -> 2 rogue (cunning action) -> fighter 4 (20 dex, action surge, improve critical) -> Pali 4 (smite, 18 CHA) -> rogue 4 (assassinate + 20 CHA)

RSIxidor

Adventurer
Blade pact warlock already gets you extra attack via invocation so i think taking fighter past 4 is not as useful.

If you're focusing on Booming Blade usage, I agree about not going past 4, though I wouldn't even suggest taking Thirsting Blade if that's the case.

If you're focusing on weapon attacks, going deeper in fighter gives you another extra attack, if you can get to level 11 with it. So, then, it depends on whether you for the third Warlock slot or the third extra attack and ABI/feat.

Remove ads