• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Greater magic weapon on magic weapons

kreynolds

First Post
Yup. From the Sage...

Weapon enchantment/buffing question

1) Could you cast Keen Edge (or Weapon of Impact, its bludgeoning counterpart) on a magical weapon that had already been enchanted up to the +10 non-epic maximum? In other words, could you create a situation in which your weapon was effectively +11 or +12 temporarily via weapon buffing spells?

Yes, you can.

To illustrate the question by example:
You can, by the rules (I think), have a +2 shocking burst (+2), flaming burst (+2), icy burst (+2), holy (+2), (total +10 enhancements) Great Axe Lets say I have this Great Axe with a +10 total enchantment (Sweet!). Now, can I have my wizard friend cast Keen Edge on it? -OR- since the weapon cannot be crafted with more than 10 pluses of bonuses without essentially being an Artifact, is it in some way capped out? The same question applies if I am using a Scabbard of Keen Edges (which allows for the Keen Edge Spell to be applied to your weapon 3 times a day.)

You cannot *create* a weapon with more +10, but that does not mean a weapon cannot *be* more than +10 temporarily. Note, however, that enhancement bonuses from spells still don't stack with a magic weapon's magical enhancement bonus. A +2 flaming, speed sword that receives a +3 enhancement bonus from a greater magic weapon spell becomes a +3 flaming, speed sword.

Last edited:

magnas_veritas

First Post
James McMurray said:
Yep. That's how it works. Which is why you should target the thing with a Greater Dispel and then Sunder it. :)

Thus ruining the fun of the target, and possibly their life cycle. ;-)

One member of our group is fond of Chain GMWing stuff. One spell makes a whole lot of +5 arrows, +5 bows, and +5 melee weapons. Of course, that one dispel makes life really, really suck for the target, so you shouldn't depend on it all the time, but it's really useful in a lot of situations.

Brad

Caliban

Rules Monkey
magnas_veritas said:

Thus ruining the fun of the target, and possibly their life cycle. ;-)

One member of our group is fond of Chain GMWing stuff. One spell makes a whole lot of +5 arrows, +5 bows, and +5 melee weapons. Of course, that one dispel makes life really, really suck for the target, so you shouldn't depend on it all the time, but it's really useful in a lot of situations.

Brad

Minor point:

You can't use a Chained GMW to enchant arrows and weapons at the same time.

To Chain a spell, the spell has to have a single target.

GMW can either target a single weapon, or 50 arrows/bolts/bullets.

If it's targetting 50 arrows, it's not eligible for being Chained (because it has more than one target).

If it's targeting a single weapon, it can be chained, but it won't affect arrows because they are not weapons. They are ammunitioin.

Numion

First Post
I find this rule problematic. All my players do is buy weapons with only +1 standard bonus and then elemental / holy damage and keen abilities out of the wazoo.

magnas_veritas

First Post
Caliban said:

Minor point:

You can't use a Chained GMW to enchant arrows and weapons at the same time.

To Chain a spell, the spell has to have a single target.

GMW can either target a single weapon, or 50 arrows/bolts/bullets.

If it's targetting 50 arrows, it's not eligible for being Chained (because it has more than one target).

If it's targeting a single weapon, it can be chained, but it won't affect arrows because they are not weapons. They are ammunitioin.

I see your point, though it is arguable that the 50 arrows count as a single target, in that they normally count as a target for the spell, and they're normally enchantable that way anyway.

Of course, I have to make sure my DM doesn't hear about this interpretation...then again, he came up with the idea, anyway.

Brad

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads