Greatest Fantasy Wizards?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Uhm... no one cited Vecna or Acererak or Fistandantilus.
I don't think they measure up, in most ways, to great fantasy wizards like Gandalf, Ged or Dumbledore, each of whom has power but also a well-rounded personality.

Vecna and Acerak are both Eeeeevil as a personality, with the added wrinkle that Vecna is willing to have dudes with hands for heads serve as his lieutenants instead of Power Word: Killing them out of embarrassment. Fistandantalus is just a goofy facade put on by a dragon whose sophisticated sense of humor is "what if Gandalf, but an idiot?"

Sacrosanct

Legend
even if Gygax thought he was 5th level, greatness is not a function of level
Gygax never made a comment about it, that I'm aware of anyway. I was referring to a fan letter in Dragon magazine where the guy went on a rant about Gandalf only being 5th level. I was making a joke.

R_J_K75

Legend
I've got a long-running NPC in my campaign based on him. He's a surprisingly good template for a villain, when played straight.
I remember seeing the cartoon in the early 1980s, and that for some reason he always wanted to eat Smurfs but in the end was pretty inept and never succeeded. I do know it was a comic strip long before it was on TV but never read it so I have no comparison to it over the cartoon adaptation.

Remove ads