Greatest fight in superhero comics?

Bullgrit

Adventurer
What is the greatest fight you've seen in superhero comics? Let's limit this to actual comic books.

Why was the fight great? Writing, art, long-term backstory, consequencies?

Bullgrit

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Avengers against the Brotherhood, in Avengers Annual #10. I absolutely love Michael Golden's art style in the story. The final fight itself is well choreographed and doesn't marginalize any of the characters. You have Rogue (in her very first appearance), Mystique, Blob, Destiny, Pyro and Avalanche go up against Spider-Woman, Iron Man, Wonder Man, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, Beast and Jocasta (Captain America and Thor already having been taken out by Rogue). Rogue at the time has the powers of several other characters (like Ms. Marvel and Thor) which evens the battle, but it never feels like anyone has a definite upper hand. The way the battle goes you really don't know for sure who will win. And this being the first time Rogue appeared meant that nobody really knew what she was capable of. It's a bummer that after this Rogue starts her slide to the good side, and loses a lot of her cool on the way (two things which aren't necessarily related to each other, just the way the character was handled in the aftermath). Destiny, Blob and Pyro are made excellent use of and their powers combined almost seem good enough to take out the opposing team. Jocasta and Vision have to doubleteam just to slow Blob down, and then Scarlet Witch goes crazy with Pyro's fireworks. They have Destiny predicting everyone's moves and directing the fight, while Rogue takes out Vision (second time in this comic). Mystique pretends to be Nick Fury, but fails to be faster than Spider-Woman's senses.

I love this comic. It's awesome from beginning to end. :D

WayneLigon

Adventurer
One that always comes to mind: The Thing vs Gladiator. It's one of the first times that you really see just how strong Gladiator is, and the results are done in a pretty spectacular fashion. The pure visual appeal of that page is a big factor in it.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
There have been a number of excellent fights between Magneto and the X-Men. One of my favorites is in X-Men #113.

X-Men Volume 1, Number 113

It's the X-Men working as a well-coordinated team with Cyclops directing through Phoenix's telepathy. The whole story arc around this time was just stellar - the X-Men at their peak.

For me..It would have to be gthe fight between Batman and Superman from The Dark Knight Returns, the dialogue between the two as they fight and then at the end of the fight "You're beginning to get the idea, Clark. We could have changed the world…now…look at us…I've become a political liability…and…you…you're a joke. I want you to remember, Clark…in all the years to come…in your most private moments…I want you to remember…my hand…at your throat…I want…you to remember…the one man who beat you."

Then just for the art work..the fight at the end in Kingdom Come......even the film makers who work on the Animated movies have admitted they don't have the time or money to invest in turning Kingdom Come into a film due to the art style alone.

My favorite was when Punisher was fighting Bushwhacker back in Punisher War Journal #15 or something, part of the 'Acts of Vengeance' thing. It was a pretty kick ass fight, Punisher ends up knocking Bushwhacker off a bridge, hes holding on for dear life, and Punisher's like, "confess". Bushwhacker actually confesses his sins to Punisher and then hes like "Okay now you have to help me up hero" (Its like he doesnt know Punisher at all). Punisher just looks at him and says, "you forgot your 'Hail Mary'" and then steps on his hand. I loved (still do) that line. Whats funny is Bushwhacker does say his hail Mary on the way down.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
The fight between the Avengers and Korvac is pretty spectacular too, partly because the Avengers are being killed like flies. Both Wonder Man and Captain America have crowning moments of awesome scenes - one right after the other, in fact. Cap's line, “Hear that, Mike? This is no God hitting you – no Super-Man! Just a man!” just about gives me chills.
Then Wonder Man comes along with "If you're brought back from death, there must be a reason--something you were meant to do! You dig, Michael? This is it! This is my moment! The whole damn universe is depending on me... and I'm not gonna blow it! Get up, Michael! I want to slug you again! I see that you're getting your energy back... but I don't mind! After all, I'm the strongest man alive--my fists hit like Thor's hammer--And I'm not afraid any more!"

Whoo, mercy!

Remove ads