• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Green Races Campaign Book

Torn between the oncoming hordes of the Green Races of the south lands - trolls, goblins, orcs, and more, even deadlier abominations - and the everpresent DragonElves or BronzeMen, a new magical d20 campaign world presents itself. Fantastic attention to detail, wonderful new creatures, mystical locations, and great riches await all those who choose to see what the world of Green Races has in store for them. Fame? Fortune? Or death!

Psion

Adventurer
Green Races

Green Races is a miniature campaign setting by Fast Forward Entertainment. In the Green Races setting, the players portray monstrous races such as goblins, orcs, and trolls.

A First Look

Green Races is a 224 page hardcover book available for $29.99. This is similar to their format for their Encyclopedia of Demons and Devils books, but a better value than some of their other hardbounds, which offer under 200 pages of material for the same price.

The cover of the book has a grainy red backdrop common to all FFE books. The front cover is a collage with various pieces of nice artwork (apparently from the Dragon Elves card game, as I recognize the green looking elf from their ad copy) pasted on a color version of the green races campaign map.

The interior is black and white. The artwork is mediocre to poor quality. Many of the illustrations are grainy copies of artwork you have seen in prior FFE works such as Rings of Power, and a black and white copy of the cover illustration from Wondrous Items of Power.

The maps are similar in style to those in other FFE products: each map appears to be a collection of textured shapes placed on a map and labeled in a simple graphics program.

The interior text density varies widely. In the text section describing lairs and mechanics, the body text used is rather small. But in most of the history section, the body text use is rather bloated.

A Deeper Look

The Green Races campaign world seems to be a subset of the world of the Dragon-Elves e-card game. The introductory section describes the various races of the world, including such races as bronze men and dragon elves. However, the book spends little time on these races, instead devoting most of the book to the races that it calls the "green races", which occupy a major part of the region depicted in the map in the book.

The "green races" include many of the humanoid races that are typically depicted as evil in the d20 System, such as orcs, goblins, bugbears, hobgoblins, drow, duegar, derro, and trolls. The book does not include racial statistics for any of these, instead referring the reader to the "monsters as characters" section of the DMG. While this saves space it has two problems. First, the section in the DMG lacks many of the finer details that are included in PC race descriptions that are helpful for making fully fleshed out PCs. Second, there are a few new races in this book such as dragon goblins; while they have monster style statistics blocks for these creatures, there is not character level adjustment derived for them that the DMG provides for other races.

Each race has its own section devoted to it. Each such section has a background of the race in the region, a map and some brief details of the region, organization, statistics for a military unit of the race called a "hundred", a prestige class, and a sample "lair" of the race, which is typically some sort of fortification.

As mentioned, each race gets its own prestige class. The prestige classes vary in quality. Some seem to work under the rules, with standard attack and save progressions and reasonable abilities. Others, however, are simply attrocious.

For example, some "prestige classes" have simple requirements (allowing them to be taken at first level) and 20 levels, nonstandard save bonuses, and (worst of all) invent their own totally irregular iterative attack sequences. Some such classes have supposed feat lists that are, in fact, merely a re-listing of class abilities and include many abilities that are not feats in this or the core books. The same classes have class skill lists by no indication anywhere of how many skill points the classes receive per level. Finally, one class is totally missing its summary table describing when it gets the described abilities, and another seems to be missing a paragraph describing its ability, and uses a table hearkening back to the first edition assassin to resolve attempts to trap dragons instead of using d20 System conventions to resolve such attempts.

The stat blocks of the "hundreds" for each race are somewhat better, but there are some errors there too, such as neglecting to take into account ability modifiers.

Conclusion

Someone once mused that it angered them that people published stuff that they wouldn't use themselves or never playtested. I am unconvinced that happens that often. However, this book seems to be a possible example. Much of this book is simply unplayable as written, and I cannot imagine that anyone would not have noticed if they had even tried to write up a character with some of the material in this book.

Some of the classes do work, but that only makes me more disappointed in this book as a product, as you know that some people who contributed to the book knew the d20 System, but others quite clearly do not.

Fast Forward Entertainment needs to start exercising a certain amount of quality control if they expect to be taken seriously in the d20 market. This book is so much worse than that of their peers that I am forced, for the first time, to award a score of appalling.

I should, to be fair, point out that this is not among FFE's more recent products. They do appear to have improved significantly in both content and editing. Green Races arrived to me in the same package as some of their newer products which I have recently reviewed. However, I reviewed this product almost last because I so dreaded doing it. In short, take a look at their newer products, but avoid this one. It is not good.

-Alan D. Kohler

JoeGKushner

First Post
Green Races is a setting meant to illustrate the viability of playing the monstrous races common to the d20 fantasy menu. I can tell that right away Green Races is off to a bad start. The cover, instead of being a rich, evocative image of what the book promises, is instead a collage of past images from the card game with some maps in the background.

The interior starts off with a black and white copy of the front page, a credits page, a table of contents, a preface, and introduction before finally getting into the book itself. It starts off with the Lands of the Green Races, a two page black and white spread which is littered with interesting names like the Crystal Mountains and the Swamp of Peril but difficult to read as the computer generated map has way too much grayscale to make everything easy on the eyes. In addition, it has that ‘fantasy’ name issue where they took the name of something dramatic, like Silent and added it to the region, like Forest, getting the Silent Forest. Not enough ‘normal’ fantasy sounding names if that makes sense.

In terms of game content, the book provides a brief look at the good and evil races of the region and provides some background material on them. There are the good dragons, the elves, and bronze men. Most of this material appears to hail from the DragonElves card game. The real meat of the book however, comes with the ‘green races’, the evil creatures of almost any campaign including orcs, goblins, gnolls, ogres, and trolls, among others.

Each races gets a little background, a lair, a prestige class, army information and a map showing where they reside. Curious about the Northern Goblins and their forts like Smokeburn? How about their Saboteurs? The lair here, the Firewalls, shows a small section of the various fortifications that they have. How about the Duergar? Not truly a ‘green’ race, but a race with their own spellcaster, the Viscant PrC.

Overall, the listing is impressive but the game mechanics look dubious. This is definitely another case of FFE having big eyes with limited understanding of the game systems. While some of the ideas may look good, playtest in your campaign before adding things wholesale.

In terms of layout, the book isn’t bad. Some of the art is good to fair but a lot of it is art I’ve seen before in several products. It’s like watching someone beat a horse to death as the images that used to be easy on the eyes become less and less pleasing as you see them more often. Heck, even some of the covers from previous books are reused as images here. Some of the black and white line artwork also looks like it’s in the good old public domain.

This book might’ve been more original before Fantasy Flight came out with their excellent Monster Handbook or WoTC with their Savage Species. If you’re in dire need of some quick and dirty lairs or some mini-manuals about each of the ‘green’ races, then this book is worth a look. If you’re dying to create your own PrCs and augment the nature of the humanoids in your campaign, you might want to skip this one. In the end, it suffers from poor mechanics and stat blocks, uninspiring art, shady maps and other standard problems that have plagued most FFE books.

jdanovich

First Post
"This book might've been more original before Fantasy Flight came out with their excellent Monster Handbook or WoTC with their Savage Species."

This book came out almost a full year ago, and was available before those other fine books.

Fast Forward has moved on from those days and is producing product much better and more in line will all of the comments that we receive. I urge those that would like to play a monster fighter character to look at our recently released Complete Monstrous Fighter's Compendium. I think you will find that it has a lot more to offer than our previous releases.

By Bruce Boughner, Staff Reviewer and Co-host of Mortality Radio

Sizing Up the Target
Green Races is a 219-page hard cover adventure/accessory published by Fast Forward Entertainment. Tim Brown is the author. No artist is credited for the cover but shows a variety of non-human races superimposed on a map, interior work by Tina Hoffman, Chris Arneson, William W, Connors and Tony Parker and retails for $29.99.

First Blood
Welcome to Green Races, a campaign setting that allow you to play non-human races as player characters, such as kobolds, troll and dragons. This work preceded Wizard of the Coast’s Savage Species by a few months and is an actual campaign setting as opposed to just being a player’s handbook for non-humans.

As with Dungeon World, Tim Brown states this is the type of campaign they wanted to do at TSR but never were allowed to. The advent of the d20 system and the Open Gaming License made this production possible.

This setting is the planet Elara, a world where evil and treachery are prevalent. Referencing back to the old Spelljammer days, Elara can be placed in any Crystal Sphere or among any Plane. Elara is referred to by its indigenous life as the Green.

Fifteen non-human races dominate the Green and there are 15 Prestige Classes, one for each race. This setting was first shown in the adventures: Fortress of the Ogre Chieftain, Temple of the Troll God, Demonic Lairs and Slave Pits of the Goblin King by Fast Forward Entertainment. Other FFE products such as Rings of Power, Swords of Power and Wondrous Items of Power are recommended to be used here also. These are older adventures from a couple of years ago and can still be found at your game store.

On the main continent of the Green, humans and elves live to the north, dwarves to the south, on the edges of the continent with the non-humans dominating the fertile center of the continent.

The races inhabiting the Green include: Bugbears, Derro, DragonGoblins, Drow, Duergar, Gnolls, Northern Goblins, Southern Goblins, Half-Orcs, Hobgoblins, Kobolds, Ogres, Orcs. Eastern Trolls and Western Trolls. Good creatures do exist here but they keep hidden and to themselves, waiting.

Elves and Dragons originally dominated Elara. The dragons, not native to the world are greedy and rapacious began to take over in surreptitious ways. Political upheaval overseas sent dragons raiding into bronze-men lands. Subjects to the elves, the bronze-men pleaded with the elves for aid and were ignored. Finally the elves, after centuries of civil war and upheaval negotiated a treaty with the dragons. This pact created a mystical bond between elf and dragon and with each mystic casting, the elf becomes more and more dragon-like Demons and Devils are also starting to influence the political clime of the world.

Humans or Bronze-men are limited to small nations and take their names from their classical age but they are still dealing in traditions from that time period although they have advanced to expert craftsmen of iron and steel. They have several small nations around the continent.

After describing the remainder of the good races, dwarves and good dragons, and the evil dragons and demonic influences, the book moves into describing the 15 races of the Green. Each race is given a historical treatment as well as it’s home territory and culture. This will include a short (and I mean short) description of a typical settlement or outpost or similar encounter point of each race before describing the Prestige Class of the race.

Bugbears have the Heartless, Derro are Slavers, Dragongoblins have Dragon Trappers etc. Each race also has an army entry called the Hundred to describe their military as wars are constant across the Green.

Many races of non-combatants are also described in this tome. Giants, Efreet, Kron (an insect-like hive creature), liches and necromancers, swamp folk before it move into outlining areas of special interest like Dungeons, Caverns, Ruins and Lakes.

Critical Hits
An interesting twist allowing monstrous races to rule a planet and confining the usual races to the far corners of the world. It can give a serious moral lesson to some. Such as would the evil races remain evil or, as intelligent races, would they not come to a realization on how they must contain their baser natures to prosper and slowly shift alignment towards Neutrality at minimum.

Critical Misses
Sparseness of detail in the descriptions is a hallmark of Fast Forward. There is a lot of information in this volume. Most of it is very vital knowledge used by either the characters or DM. But it is the area descriptions that FFE needs to improve upon. The lack of intricate detail is what has always had me put an FFE product to the back burner over another product. Personally I feel that they have some of the best ideas in the business but they need to improve their delivery and get a little more detailed. FFE doesn’t suffer from this problem in their creature or item descriptions, only when detailing a map or encounter does it seem lacking. Recently this book was also one of the FFE product found in violation of the OGL by use of Lolth and Gruumsh in some of the race descriptions.

Coup de Grace
I got a very first edition feel with Green Races. Thay was a big selling point to me. Had this been a TSR product, I think it would have the same cult status as Ravenloft or Dragonlance has today. It has an unusual twist for a premise and could make for a great campaign. Or if you are running a plane hopping or Spelljamming game, this can be a great source to return to or develop plot hooks or antagonists from.

To see the graded evaluation of this product and to leave comments that the reviewer will respond to, go to The Critic's Corner at www.d20zines.com.

ASEO

First Post
I always wondered how Fast Forward Games stayed in business. Now I know. People like you give their crappy products glowing reviews completely skimming over their failure to comprehend the D20 rules.

I purchased two of Tim Brown's modules, Fortress of the Ogre Chieftain and Temple of the Troll God (please check out my reviews of these two products to get a good feel for Tim Brown's work)...I still feel dirty and violated.

This company has constantly scraped old notes from first edition together and attempted to make them D20 compliant and shoveled them onto the streets.

-----------------------------------------------------------
This setting was first shown in the adventures: Fortress of the Ogre Chieftain, Temple of the Troll God, Demonic Lairs and Slave Pits of the Goblin King by Fast Forward Entertainment. Other FFE products such as Rings of Power, Swords of Power and Wondrous Items of Power are recommended to be used here also. These are older adventures from a couple of years ago and can still be found at your game store.
-----------------------------------------------------------

You are correct you may be able to find these at your game store. Check in the barging bin since no one in their right mind would willingly keep purchasing Fast Forward Game's products after seeing the truly horrible quality of these products.

If you are considering this product please check out the other much more accurate and comprehensive reviews of this book.

Think about it. This company has 23 products and an over-all rating of 2.44 POOR. No other company has such a bad records for that many products.

Also consider Psion who currently has 207 individual reviews and is a staff reviewer gave this product the only 1 he has ever given.

Bruce, Quit kissing up, sell you stock in Fast Forward and give us honest reviews.

ASEO out

teitan

Legend
I think you are being a little harsh there ASEO. Maybe Bruce legitimately enjoys FFE products, being so hard on him about his review is just elitist and doesn't help your case too much at all. I also find FFE's products below par but you won't find me bashing some other reviewers opinion on the product.

Personally I hope FFE gets their act together soon because I am really looking forward to Demon Wars and the Crossgen book...

Jason

jeffh

Adventurer
Well, I WOULD very much like to know what Bruce thought of the incomplete, unplayable-as-written prestige class descriptions...

ASEO-
Please leave your personal attacks out of your comments. A review represents a single OPINION of a given product. In Bruce's case, he finds that Fast Forward's products are suited for his gaming style. While I personally disagree with his review (the book does have some issues), I do support his right to post such a review. If he finds value in a particular FFE product (or any other product), he is well within his rights to publicly state so just as anyone is within their rights to disagree with his views.

No one should ever base their decision to purchase a product upon a single review. You should read as many as possible to get a better feel for the book. If I were looking to be persuaded about this book, for example. The overall negatives would likely dissuade me unless there were specific elements present that I wanted in a campaign (such as high-powered monster races). Every review should be taken with a grain of salt no matter what the score (even Psion's, who will likely agree). They represent an opinion and nothing more. --Steve Creech, Exec. Chairman d20 Magazine Rack

ASEO

First Post
I have no problem with people having different opinions than I do on products. I do have a problem with a review that completely glosses over an obvious flaw in the book. I also believe that should a person not realize a flaw or gloss over a flaw for some reason, that it is proper to post a comment on the review making those flaws known. As you see from my comment, I too encourage others to read a variety of reviews.

Had Bruce's review said "Sure it had flaws with the D20 rules, but I was able to work around them and thus decided to give the product a 5" then I would have been fine with it. But to write an obviously incomplete review and post it as a staff reviewer hurts the credibility of all people who use the d20 Magazine Rack reviewer name.

Are there no bad products out there? 239 reviews and only 3 below average?

It also begs the question: Is the reviewer trustworthy? Why aren't they posting comprehensive reviews?

Do your reviewers get free copies from companies to review, or do they buy the books themselves?

If there is anybody that believes this book is not flawed please make your case and explain all the flaws that have been pointed out.

ASEO out

Remove ads