• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Green Ronin announces Testament Campaign Setting

cthuluftaghn

First Post
The 1611 King James Bible is public domain. For any of the other versions, look in the front cover for a copyright. Also, some publications of the 1611 King James have copyrighted notations in them, such as the Schoefield annotated KJV.

Sixchan

First Post
Ranger REG said:

Although it is rhetorical, I'll answer it anyway. The Bible is Public Domain. Anyone can practically use it and abuse it any way they want to.

Copyright 4000BC-2003AD God Inc. All rights reserved.
"Bible" "Old Testament" "New testament" and the Cross logo are registered Trademarks of God inc.

I can't wait to see Jesus' stats...

I can't wait for the Chick Tract either...

Last edited:

Very cool, I'm really looking forward to this game. I understand that this book stops just short of the christian era. Will it be based strictly on material from the Tanak or will there be things from the Talmud, Apocrapha, or Pseudepigrapha?

William Ronald

Explorer
HalWhitewyrm wrote: I'll throw my vote in the "This is Great" camp. I had toyed with the idea of doing something similar, but at the moment I thought there probably was no market for this. I am glad someone did what I didn't and that I'll be able to own this book.

Maybe I'll be able to sneak-in some gaming on Shabbat. :D

Hal, I second your opinions on this. I think that this setting has a lot of rich possibilities, and can be played as is, or used with other source materials. (Hmm, maybe use some of the stuff from Necropolis ( a good idea for anything set in Egypt) or use some of the materials in existing settings.)

I think you can also argue for some gaming on Shabbat. I do.:)

As for expansion, one possibility could be to work with the Apocrypha. There are a few books, such as the book of Tobit and the books of the Maccabees, that should work well for several adventures.

All told, I am looking forward to this product. I expect it should be well written. Also, I believe that it will not only treat the beliefs of others with respect but perhaps show publishers how to deal sensitively with modern-day beliefs. Cheers to Green Ronin for a gutsy project.

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
Wait a minute, is this game going to be based on the Old Testament, the New Testament, or both?

Personally, I'd like to see many cultures in visual arts for that time period.

Pramas

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
Wait a minute, is this game going to be based on the Old Testament, the New Testament, or both?

Personally, I'd like to see many cultures in visual arts for that time period.

It covers the Old Testament. It would be easy enough to run New Testament games with the info provided, of course, but you won't find stats for Jesus or the like.

Sixchan

First Post
Pramas said:

It covers the Old Testament. It would be easy enough to run New Testament games with the info provided, of course, but you won't find stats for Jesus or the like.

Aww...I was looking forward to Jesus. The Ultimate Munchkin. (Not that I'm saying that in a bad way!)

Spike Y Jones

First Post
Twiggly the Gnome said:
Very cool, I'm really looking forward to this game. I understand that this book stops just short of the christian era. Will it be based strictly on material from the Tanak or will there be things from the Talmud, Apocrapha, or Pseudepigrapha?
It's mostly based on the Tanak (the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament), but with some Apocrypha, and some amplification from sources like the Talmud when the mood struck us. The book also covers some of the history, culture and mythology of the cultures surrounding the Promised Land; after all, we have to give your Israelite PCs something to fight against.

Spike Y Jones, editor, Testament

William Ronald

Explorer
Spike Y Jones: Thanks for replying to the thread.

I imagine there could easily be some stats for the Romans as they were a rising power at the time of the Maccabees.

So, will there be any stats for named NPCs or will there perhaps be stats and character information for NPCs of different eras? (For example, a typical soldier in King David's Army.)

Forcegypsy

First Post
Let me just say...Absolutely cool. I will definitely be picking this up. Probably just to read, but I may run a few oneshots. For gamers there is a novel series by Matthew Woodring-Stover, set in this era.

Remove ads