• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Green Ronin announces Testament Campaign Setting

MulhorandSage

First Post
Testament's a historical game which uses the d20 system to simulate the myths, folklore and religious beliefs of the region. Its primary intent is to entertain, and I hope it appeals to anyone who's interested in the region and its legends, regardless of their beliefs.

We draw on a lot of historic and mythological elements: for Israel, the Old Testament is the primary source, for Egypt, I looked at the Book of the Dead, and other stories like the tales of Setna the Magician; for Babylon, I referenced the Enuma Elish and the Epic of Gilgamesh (among others).

Scott Bennie

Pagan priest

First Post
What is the time frame of the book? Have there been any liberties with the historical timeline of events? Apart from the obvious fantastical or mythical elements, how accurate is the history?

Last edited:

MulhorandSage

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Piqued my interest.

I just hope Green Ronin is ready for the onslaught of critics both inside and outside the RPG community.

Inside the RPG community, there'll be critics, sure. But the initial response to the concept has been very favorable, more than I was expecting.

Outside the RPG community, I doubt we'll register on their radar unless by some major miracle we garner enough sales to break into the mainstream, or some kid playing Testament does something incredibly stupid that gets media attention. I hope to God we avoid the latter. :)

Scott Bennie

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Ranger REG said:
Piqued my interest.

I just hope Green Ronin is ready for the onslaught of critics both inside and outside the RPG community.

It's not the 70s anymore (and IMHO, RPGers were mostly just hysterical then). No one will care.

Blacksway

Rock Monkey
Being from a rather christian background (don't ask!) I have to say I'm very interested in how this is approached, its definately got my interest. Not least from the aspect of how it approaches an era historically that even though read much about (i.e. the bible) is often taken out of context (i.e those reading the bible :D) and not placed in its proper historical setting - which it appears that this product will provide if nothing else.

Err... if this came across as strange ignore it - good luck.

Keep up the good work !

Ranger REG

Explorer
I wonder if this will appeal to non-Christian gamers as well, using sources like the Torah and the Qu'ran, as well as the two versions of the Holy Bible.

HalWhitewyrm

First Post
I'm Jewish and it quite certainly appeals to me. I can't wait for the book. I don't recall being so excited about a game book coming out ever (well, perhaps Victorian Age: Vampire, so let's say a d20 book).

William Ronald

Explorer
I am pretty excited about the book, especially considering this information:

Originally posted by MulhorandSage: Testament's a historical game which uses the d20 system to simulate the myths, folklore and religious beliefs of the region. Its primary intent is to entertain, and I hope it appeals to anyone who's interested in the region and its legends, regardless of their beliefs.

We draw on a lot of historic and mythological elements: for Israel, the Old Testament is the primary source, for Egypt, I looked at the Book of the Dead, and other stories like the tales of Setna the Magician; for Babylon, I referenced the Enuma Elish and the Epic of Gilgamesh (among others).

As someone who does research for his homebrew campaign, I am pleased by the sources Mulhorand Sage cited. (I have used some of them myself.) I hope there is also a list of literary sources.

MulhorandSage

First Post
William Ronald said:
I am pretty excited about the book, especially considering this information:

As someone who does research for his homebrew campaign, I am pleased by the sources Mulhorand Sage cited. (I have used some of them myself.) I hope there is also a list of literary sources.

There's a pretty lengthy bibliography, and that doesn't even include Spike's contributions, who's so knowledgeable about the history and literature of the region it's scary. :)

Scott Bennie

Remove ads