Greg Tito Is UHURA!

Former Escapist editor-in-chief Greg Tito is now WotC's new Communications Manager according to D&D Brand Manager Nathan Stewart -- "Please welcome Greg Tito newest member of the D&D team. Greg joins our team as Communications Manager and official bag of holding holder." Greg was laid off from The Escapist a couple of weeks ago. He mentioned his recent layoff, whihc also involved others: "Due to budget cuts at Defy Media, the parent company of The Escapist, Game Front, and GameTrailers, a large number of my colleagues have also been let go. This news sucks for everyone, including those left behind to run these publications. My thoughts are with all of you and I hope you bounce back with a new gig soon."

Former Escapist editor-in-chief Greg Tito is now WotC's new Communications Manager according to D&D Brand Manager Nathan Stewart -- "Please welcome Greg Tito newest member of the D&D team. Greg joins our team as Communications Manager and official bag of holding holder." Greg was laid off from The Escapist a couple of weeks ago. He mentioned his recent layoff, whihc also involved others: "Due to budget cuts at Defy Media, the parent company of The Escapist, Game Front, and GameTrailers, a large number of my colleagues have also been let go. This news sucks for everyone, including those left behind to run these publications. My thoughts are with all of you and I hope you bounce back with a new gig soon."

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
Only for Gamergate conspiracy people, really, so I don't think it'll be a problem.

Or people that prefer honesty and integrity from someone in a position of power, especially one that is responsible for content or communications, which, imo, Greg fails at in spades.

variant

Adventurer
I think it should be relevant to anyone who wants someone ethical working at their company. Well, unless said company wants someone to lie to their customers.

Wolfskin

Explorer
I don't know about geek politics or gamergate (nor I really care for that matter). All can I say is I'll never wish someone to be unemployed.

Dannager

First Post
I think it should be relevant to anyone who wants someone ethical working at their company.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, one might argue), the ethics and priorities of the Gamergate movement are not shared by most gamers. It's a pretty narrow, vocal bunch that have decided to latch onto Tito's supposed ethical lapses. I think he'll be fine.

variant

Adventurer
Unfortunately (or fortunately, one might argue), the ethics and priorities of the Gamergate movement are not shared by most gamers. It's a pretty narrow, vocal bunch that have decided to latch onto Tito's supposed ethical lapses. I think he'll be fine.

I didn't know most people, let alone most gamers, would want news suppressed and articles not fact checked as long as it agrees with their agenda. It's great there is someone here that is an expert in ethical journalism to educate me.

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
He was unemployed due to in part, driving away readership by backing false narratives, pushing social agendas and their version of politically correct down the throats of readers, and betraying the trust of the readers. Readers, feeling betrayed and not wanting to be made societal scapegoats and be preached to regarding the 'new' original sin of their hobby, left. Revenues went down. The site lost touch of what it's readers were interested in and suffered, costing him his seat as editor.

He has lost the respect and trust of one game related hobby, and now he's been brought into another. I for one find it troubling that he is now a spokesman of one of the leading companies, if not the most well known, of our hobby.

Dannager

First Post
I didn't know most people, let alone most gamers, would want news suppressed and articles not fact checked as long as it agrees with their agenda. It's great there is someone here that is an expert in ethical journalism to educate me.

Again, this isn't something you're going to magically win ground on. Gamergate isn't an in-the-shadows movement. It's not a secret. It isn't being suppressed by a monolithic, organized conspiracy. We're all familiar with it in at least a passing capacity. You guys lost the "it's-about-ethics-in-games-journalism" war for about eight different reasons, and the movement is now out of credibility. I even agreed with you guys in the first couple of weeks, before the shine wore off.

When all you have left are dogwhistles, it's probably time to retire the cause.

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
Gamergate isn't an in-the-shadows movement.

GameJournoPros was, of which Mr Tito was a member. Having one's own secret mailing list to coordinate political agenda driven strategy across various, supposedly independent sites is definitely very much an "in the shadows movement", coming up with the week's talking points and narrative to push, when your sites are supposed to be about gaming.

Dannager

First Post
He was unemployed due to in part, driving away readership by backing false narratives, pushing social agendas and their version of politically correct down the throats of readers, and betraying the trust of the readers. Readers, feeling betrayed and not wanting to be made societal scapegoats and be preached to regarding the 'new' original sin of their hobby, left. Revenues went down. The site lost touch of what it's readers were interested in and suffered, costing him his seat as editor.

Cute, but false. As its Alexa page shows, The Escapist has actually improved its traffic ranking since the start of the Gamergate movement, from almost 6,000 in mid-August to its current rank of roughly 4,500 - a massive improvement that has been, aside from temporary traffic spikes (likely due to hot-button news items being reported), fairly steady.

I bet that narrative gets a ton of mileage, though.

Remove ads

Remove ads