• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Greyhawk 5e

Xantherion

First Post
I am planning on running a 5e game. I am going back and forth of placing it in the Realms or Greyhawk.

I have currently From the ashes pdf, The Marklands, City of skulls, and ivid the undying. Is this a good source of information detailing the world. What are your thoughts. Any suggestions on other products that I should look into about Greyhawk.

Thanks for any information.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
One of the best supplements for Greyhawk, is
the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer. It's technically for
3e, but it's almost solely fluff and setting
information, so is basically edition neutral. Really good resource!

Warunsun

First Post
One of the best supplements for Greyhawk, is the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer.

This 100%. The Living Greyhawk Gazetteer is the 591 timeline and it is a great source-book and it is rules edition neutral. There is also a player edition of this book called Gazetteer. I have several copies of the player's edition that I lend out to players in Greyhawk games. You can also pair the Greyhawk Player's Guide and Greyhawk: The Adventure Begins together for the 591 timeline. From the Ashes is also a good Greyhawk source and it set more firmly in the post-Greyhawk Wars era, the 585 timeline. The Marklands, the City of Skulls, and Ivid the Undying are also from the 585 timeline era. I would recommend purchasing Iuz the Evil to go with those books especially if you want to use the City of Skulls.

Emirikol

Adventurer
I would highly encourage you to check out "Canonfire." It is a great place to get even more feedback. All of us old Greyhawkers are there:
http://www.canonfire.com/cf/index.php

jh

Scarlet.jpg

Last edited:

kiness

Explorer
ghmaps.net has the most incredible highly detailed maps of Greyhawk by Anna Meyer. Third the living Greyhawk Gazeteer.

mcintma

First Post
Your first decision with GH IMO is to pick one of the main timelines, so as to avoid confusion as you read the various setting fluff. Going off memory:

1) Pre-GH Wars: original Greyhawk boxed set, several AD&D modules (e.g. Temple of Elem Evil), GH City boxed set
2) GH Wars: appears to be what you have materials for (Carl Sargent stuff: Ivid the Undying, City of Skulls ...)
3) Post-Great Northern Crusade (after the fiends are banished by the Crook of Rao, GH 'settles down', Circle of 8 rebuilt): late 2e materials by Roger Moore, LG gazetteer

I personally love the grittiness of the GH-Wars period!

Talath

Explorer
Some people hate the after the ashes Greyhawk and some love it. It may be hard to find the original Greyhawk boxed set, so I'll throw in another vote for the living Greyhawk gazetteer.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads