GREYHAWK CY963 GOLDEN ERA CAMPAIGN: HEROES OF DYVERS: CHAPTER 4

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
The Golem is NO MORE!

OOC:
Posting for Respen, at his request, via our cell phone conversation.

Without moving, without saying anything, without flash or fanfare of any kind, his complete concentration on the task at hand, Respen removes the Move Earth scroll--his second of only three--from his scroll tube, and begins to read the runes aloud.

GM:
Scroll caster level: 11th
Scroll spell level: 6th
Respen's caster level: 8th
Respen's INT: 16 (can cast up to 6th level spells)
Chance to read scroll: DC 12 Caster Level Check (roll: 1d20+8, result must equal 12 or higher, i.e., the roll on the die must be 4 or better.)
Roll = 10+8 = 18 (Success)

Golem is against the cavern wall. The Move Earth spell will push him 120 ft., which means he will suffer 12d6 falling damage.
Golem has 10 points of damage reduction.
Damage taken from Move Earth spell = 3d12 = 28 pts. of damage.
Damage taken from fall = (12d6) - 10 = 35 - 10 = 25 pts. of damage.
Total damage taken from Respen's spell = 53 pts.
Total damage taken this round = 125 pts.
Golem has been destroyed!

As the runes are read aloud, the parchment begins to glow, and then the air around Respen begins to sparkle. The Golem reacts violently, flying against the cavern wall, as if a huge fist had suddenly slammed into it. There is a resounding "crack" as the Golem's form breaks in half, and the glow in its eyes fades to nothingness. The Golem collapses in a heap, and ceases to move!

[COMBAT HAS ENDED! What are everyone's intentions at this point?]

Last edited:

Diarmadhim

Explorer
I poke the golem with my greatclub, hesitating a moment before giving an audible sigh. "Well that could have gone far worse. I need to work on my accuracy more." Turning to the others, I grin, "What say you all we explore this section a bit more? I would like to examine these portals and see if there's a way to disable them. Be careful - they are most assuredly trapped with some sort of electrical attack. I saw the rune for lightning as I was charging. Equally interesting note; the golem was modified with a light rune and a fire rune. The fire rune strengthened it, but I have no clue what the purpose of the light rune was on it. Any ideas?" I ask as I begin to examine our environs and the portals.

OOC: Spellcraft checks of 26 and 27.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Taking a Look Around...

GM:

Supplemental Info garnered from Dewydd's Spellcraft checks:

The cavern is mostly natural, only the edges have been smoothed out / slightly shaped. The stalactites and stalagmites are most certainly natural.

Careful examination of the circles without touching them reveals:

The Yellow Circle goes to coordinates which are far to the West of here, likely somewhere in the mountains, because of the runes that refer to the destination's precise elevation; precise elevation is normally only needed when one's destination is above or below ground level, and these coordinates are above, hence your guess at mountains. This circle might lead to a cave in the middle of a cliff face, or some similar location. Or it might lead to an area on a peak or plateau.

The Red Circle goes to coordinates which are deep underground, so much so, that you surmise that the destination is likely within The Underdark, most probably within one of the Drow cities, such as Shalistaurimon.

The Blue Circle goes to coordinates which are far to the North, and also deep below ground level. However, there are also runes which form an air bubble around the user, suggesting that this circle might lead to an underwater destination.

All of the circles are trapped with some sort of electrical effect; if the proper command word is not spoken, stepping onto the circle turns it into a hot plate, although you surmise that if you survive the effect, you will still likely appear at the proper destination. Nothing about the electrical effect is connected to the destination effect.

The command word is hidden, because although the runes that describe the word are there, they are enchanted to shift and morph and shimmer, hence you cannot tell what the command word actually is. (Or, if it is possible, you are not a skilled enough Wizard to be able to do so.)

These circles REEK of POWERFUL magic. So much so, that you question the wisdom of tampering with them.

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar puts away his lute. Thankful at not needing to use his song. I say we collapse the cavern on top of those portals, or set a trap of our own for anyone who uses them.

redraider629

Explorer
Kleborn:
Kleborn cautiously enters the room and approaches the circles. He has been through a teleportation circle before and did not care for it. These are much more dangerous than those. He realizes that if it takes a powerful wizard to decipher the command word, it must have taken a powerful wizard to create them. He also notices that this golem was following more than a single simple command. All this leads him to think there is a very powerful wizard about. He addresses the group "I noticed that this golem is using more than one simple command, indicating that either his creator is near, or we are dealing with a very powerful being who created a very powerful golem. As well as powerful and dangerous teleportation circles."

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Lathir Joins Dewydd

Breathing a sigh of relief at the demise of the golem, Lathir moves over to where Dewydd is examining the runes.

"What say you all we explore this section a bit more? I would like to examine these portals and see if there's a way to disable them. Be careful - they are most assuredly trapped with some sort of electrical attack. I saw the rune for lightning as I was charging. Equally interesting note; the golem was modified with a light rune and a fire rune. The fire rune strengthened it, but I have no clue what the purpose of the light rune was on it. Any ideas?" I ask as I begin to examine our environs and the portals.
"I do not know how much I might help, but I will give them a look."
OOC: Spellcraft: 16 + Skill: 1d20 12 = 28

Sylvar B. said:
Sylvar puts away his lute. Thankful at not needing to use his song. I say we collapse the cavern on top of those portals, or set a trap of our own for anyone who uses them.
Lathir looks up at Sylvar's comment.
"I do not think that collapsing the cavern on the portal will do any good. It is possible that the stones would be transported. Respen might be able to set a trap. We could enclose this area by trying to collapse the cave back at the split. Maybe."

redraider629 said:
Kleborn addresses the group "I noticed that this golem is using more than one simple command, indicating that either his creator is near, or we are dealing with a very powerful being who created a very powerful golem. As well as powerful and dangerous teleportation circles."
Lathir -
"I noticed that as well. I do not think that the wizard is near. This thing seemed to be following a predetermined set of instructions. It was speaking directives aloud to itself. I would also surmise, though, that whoever we are dealing with is very powerful, indeed."

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:

Lathir, your result of 28 reveals 2 things that Dewydd's check did not:

1. The electrical effect is actually the Chain Lightning spell, a potent spell that would affect everyone in the room, not just the person who steps into the circle.

2. You manage to read the command word for the Yellow Circle; it's "Nosnra."

You still can't tell what the command words for the Red and Blue circles are.

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Respen & Vale Survey the Cavern

Vale:
~ I wondered if you might speak to me again, Able the Axe. Can I name you Able?
Can you sense anything unusual about the cavern or these circles, their magic, or their origin? I shall take from any silence that you do not.
~

Vale surveys the golem closely, examining to see whether the elemental in it remains. He knows enough about them to be cautious.

" I wonder if the source of the golem's power still lingers. If she does, and we can avoid an open fight, she might tell us more about what imprisoned her in the golem. "

Vale looks around the cavern, examining the teleport circles as well, stretching his knowledge as far as he can for any detail. If this was simply a waypoint, then were the undead similar to the golem; were they protecting this transport node.

OOC: Spellcraft: 31; Religion: 18; Planes: 15; Arch/Engin: 21

GM: The Golem is completely destroyed; the elemental inside of it has been released, and is long gone. Indeed, Vale does get the sense that this is some sort of waypoint between two major destinations, and that the purpose of the Golem and of the Undead was to protect it.

"Elf (addressing Respen), you have a curious look. What say you on these circles?"

RESPEN:

~ Scrolls well-purchased. Something about these circles is familiar, though. Auror described them in passing. More advanced magic, like the Mirror of Mental Prowess Auror possessed. Wait. Where did Margull go? ~

GM: All you know of Margull's destination (from what Vega said) was that it was somewhere in Blackmoor, in a large forest.

"I say that I'd like to know how to control them, and if not, as Lathir suggests, trap them." Respen looks around, stroking his chin. "Or trap the tunnels instead."

"When I was with Vega before you arrived and examined Margull's maps, the original coordinates of his Mirror were very much north of Dyvers, across the sea. I didn't look for elevation or depth. However, the transport method was not completely dissimilar. "

Respen looks for recent tracks into the circles. Does any circles have more movement around it than the others? Is it possible to tell what kind of creature or humanoid?
OOC: Track = Survival Check = 12

GM: All of the circles have only the lightest of traffic, indicated by smudged areas where the slimy algae that covers everything down here has been disturbed. It is impossible to tell what made these smudge marks, other than it looks to be a boot heel of a humanoid.

Respen thinks for a moment and has an idea. "I say we check the other passage to make sure we didn't miss anything, and then figure out how far this cavern is straight-line from the well. It's reasonably deep, but if less than 120 ft., it might be possible to magically move earth a big ugly whole on top of this. In the daylight, if undead use this thing, they might be met with an uncomfortable end." The conversation has Respen contemplating learning more about traps.

"But that is secondary to figure out how to use them. If it's possible to control them, and perhaps redirect the lightning to those coming through, or even shut it off completely at will, it might present a bit of a balance to the sorceress, or at least a few of her lieutenants." Another thought dawns on Respen. "Thallok, do you recognize any of these locations?"

Respen examines the circles himself, careful not to stray too close. He spends a little time with the Runes.

OOC:
What does he see, if anything additional? Spellcraft = 24; Knowledge Arcana = 33
Does he recognize anything regarding the Geography of the locations? Knowledge Geography = 19

GM: Nothing additional. Geography is impossible to tell; the runes ONLY refer to x/y axis points (right/left/up/down)

Last edited by a moderator:

Waynan

Adventurer
Though all this "magic" is seemingly fascinating, Tam-Tam finds it a bit out of his league. As the rest of the party continue to wonder and surmise over the portals and the golem's remains, Tam-Tam is nonchalantly perusing about the cavern (away from the portals) for any treasures lying about --- especially gems and jewelry; but anything to line his pockets and pouches would be nice. A treasure chest would be a real boon --- anything to practice his real skills upon.

redraider629

Explorer
Thallok:
Thallok's demeanor changes noticeably upon hearing the name Nosnra. He knows Nosnra as the king of the Hill Giants. They have an alliance with the Pomarj, the land he comes from. In fact he along with the other giant chiefs have pledged their allegiance to Gurrock Mak, the leader of the Orcs. He thinks that this portal must be his doing. He also realizes that there are dangerous forces working together if the Drows are also involved. The last thing Thallok wants is to come across his old unit. Thallok warns the group about this dangerous alliance. "I feel uneasy at this point. I too think we need to find a way to destroy these portals. The forces behind these portals could spell trouble for us."

Last edited:

Remove ads