Greyhawk Oddities

JoeGKushner said:
Philidor the blue wizard. At 25th level, wtf is he and why is he in Greyhawk? I mean, wasn't the Circle of Eight enough? Did Elminster get stonned one day and clone himself blue and sent it to GH to screw with 'em?

Tolkien said the gods sent 5 Istari to Middle Earth
- The White Wizard Saruman
- The Grey Wizard Gandalf
- The Brown Wizard Radigast
- 2 blue wizards who went to the east

In my campaign, Greyhawk is east of the River Running, etc. Mordor backs into the Sea of Dust (the Suel Imperium's old ruler is now the Witch-King of Angmar, chief of the Nazgul, and his lands are devastated, all part of Sauron's grand plan). The plains of Rhun back into the Plains of the Paynim.

So guess what Philidor the Blue is, and who Radigast City is named after?

The Lost Muse

First Post
haakon1 said:
In my campaign, Greyhawk is east of the River Running, etc. Mordor backs into the Sea of Dust (the Suel Imperium's old ruler is now the Witch-King of Angmar, chief of the Nazgul, and his lands are devastated, all part of Sauron's grand plan). The plains of Rhun back into the Plains of the Paynim.

So guess what Philidor the Blue is, and who Radigast City is named after?

YOINK!

JoeGKushner

First Post
So who are the nine trapped under Greyhakw castle anyway? Looking at one of the books, it seems that Zudoken is, but it just mentions that he doesn't manifest to his clerics anymore ,but that they still have access to their spells. Is there a list?

WizarDru

Adventurer
JoeGKushner said:
So who are the nine trapped under Greyhakw castle anyway? Looking at one of the books, it seems that Zudoken is, but it just mentions that he doesn't manifest to his clerics anymore ,but that they still have access to their spells. Is there a list?

There are multiple lists. It really depends on who you ask. There is Rob Kuntz's memory, there is canon and there are lots of internet guesses.

In the Oerth Journal, Rob Kuntz said the following:
"Robilar and the Nine Imprisoned Demi-gods: The freeing of Iuz and the other eight "demi-gods" imprisoned beneath Castle Greyhawk was instigated by Robilar, who released them (Robilar seems to like freeing things, being a free spirit himself!). This event occurred in the dungeons of Castle Greyhawk on a dungeon level known as the "Bottle City," which was a level created by E. Gary Gygax.

Robilar, who was 10th level at the time, entered the containment room, and viewed the nine imprisoned creatures mounted a top pedestals VERY carefully before deciding to deal with the many-handed one first (i.e. Hextor). Robilar decided to dispatch (singly) the toughest melee capable of the lot first, in case all nine were to animate simultaneously (the nine imprisoned were: Iuz, Ralishaz, Trithereon, Erythnul, Olidammara, Heironeous, Celestian, Hextor, and Obad-Hai). In the ensuing melee with Hextor, the other eight "demi-gods" were "accidentally" released, as loosing one seemed to have a domino effect. As the nine "demi-gods" turned their attentions toward destroying each other, Robilar executed a tactical withdrawal (i.e. he ran for his life) to lick his wounds.

Robilar later returned to the room to investigate. Before returning, he heard the sounds of a great battle occurring (which was another reason for returning to investigate). Upon re-entering the containment room, he saw that all of the pedestals were empty, with no beings in sight. All nine of the gods were loosed upon the world.
"

EGG has backed this list up, but I'm not sure that the canon maintains it as correct or not.

Rob Kuntz's list is not canon - for one thing, most of the gods he mentioned are not demigods in the present continuity, though they may have been at the time in Gygax's home campaign.

Canon-wise (that is, according to the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer), the list of imprisoned demigods includes Iuz, Wastri, Merikka, Rudd, Zuoken, and the others are unrevealed. Vecna, whose reappearance in the Flanaess is roughly contemporary with the release of the nine, was likely one of them as well, though this is disputed. It's been suggested that the demigods corresponded to the nine alignments.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Grover Cleaveland said:
Rob Kuntz's list is not canon - for one thing, most of the gods he mentioned are not demigods in the present continuity, though they may have been at the time in Gygax's home campaign.

Canon-wise (that is, according to the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer), the list of imprisoned demigods includes Iuz, Wastri, Merikka, Rudd, Zuoken, and the others are unrevealed. Vecna, whose reappearance in the Flanaess is roughly contemporary with the release of the nine, was likely one of them as well, though this is disputed. It's been suggested that the demigods corresponded to the nine alignments.

Like I said, there are multiple lists. :D

Erik Mona wrote an aritcle somewhere (quote possibly here on ENWorld) concerning his decision to codify the list and resolve the discrepancies. EGG clarified that at the time, they were considered demigods, but many were pushed up to minor god status afterwards in later products, and chalked it up to artistic license. I believe it was a conscious decision on Erik's part to map the gods to the alignments.

A better question would be WHY did he do it...although I gather from various sources that it was part of his process of ascension. Funny that they didn't really seek retribution afterwards.

diaglo

Adventurer
Grover Cleaveland said:

the LGG is not canon to some of us. :p

WizarDru

Adventurer
Ah, here's the one I was thinking of.

Short quote: Along with, "how did Iuz help with the Temple of Elemental Evil when he was imprisoned?" and "when did the short war happen?" this question should be bronzed and inducted to the Greyhawk Hall of Fame.

The exact same topic has come up on Usenet and on the mailing lists countless times already. In short, "officially," the only other prisoner with Iuz in Castle Greyhawk was Wastri. This information comes from "Bathtime for the Hopping Prophet," an adventure card from the City of Greyhawk boxed set.

Given the fact that there were nine prisoners, and that nearly everything Gygax has ever written has included, in some way the number nine, it's safe to say that there is a pattern here. The basis of this pattern, of course, are the nine celestial alignments. These alignments played a huge role in Gygax's game, and unless I'm mistaken, there's evidence to prove that everyday people perceived alignment as "fact." Anyone else remember "alignment languages"?

So, it would seem to make sense that Zagig Yragrene, in order to steal a portion of the Obelisk's power, needed to capture nine demigods; one of each alignment. This raises a very real concern. Not counting Mayahaine (because she wasn't on Oerth yet) or Gaknulak (because his ties to Oerth are tenuous, and he rarely visits), Oerth has but two other demigods. If we assume Rudd and Zuoken were brought along for the ride, we're still five demigods short.

In my game, the Unsought One (and the freedom he gained from Castle Greyhawk) became an integral part of the game.

Last edited:

St. Ceril the Relentless - LN quasideity of order, law, and opposition to chaos.

According to a very old Dragon magazine, St. Ceril was the patron saint of those who hunt the undead. But it seems that part of his sphere of influence has been stripped away. Humph.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Joshua Randall said:
St. Ceril the Relentless - LN quasideity of order, law, and opposition to chaos.

According to a very old Dragon magazine, St. Ceril was the patron saint of those who hunt the undead. But it seems that part of his sphere of influence has been stripped away. Humph.

That was Saintly Standards, Friends of the Gods, wither others like St. Kargoth, King of the Death Knights.

Is he a god or just the quasi-deity? I don't recall seeing anything on him in eons.

Remove ads