Greyhawk Oddities

Erik Mona

Adventurer
WizarDru said:
Erik Mona wrote an aritcle somewhere (quote possibly here on ENWorld) concerning his decision to codify the list and resolve the discrepancies. EGG clarified that at the time, they were considered demigods, but many were pushed up to minor god status afterwards in later products, and chalked it up to artistic license. I believe it was a conscious decision on Erik's part to map the gods to the alignments.

That article, the infamous "Last Word on Iuz and Co." was written long before EN World was born, and can be found here: http://groups.google.com/group/rec....&q="Last+Word+on+Iuz"&rnum=1#5a34646d1fa46d36

Hard to believe it was 11 years ago. Other Greytalkers, notably Gary Holian and Fred Weining went on to post corrections and comments to my Usenet post on Greytalk (the archive appears to be down at the moment).

Of course, the "Last Word" turned out to be more like the "first word," and dicussion rages on the topic to this day.

--Erik

Sandain said:
I remember reading somewhere that Philidor is a Golem - if so, who created him?

An alliance of good-aligned deities, including Pelor and Corellon Larethian, if I remember correctly.

This theory came from a forwarded email, purportedly from Carl Sargent himself.

It's not my favorite take on the character.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Grover Cleaveland said:
- Iuz, an avatar of Ralishaz, a proxy of Trithereon, an avatar of Erythnul, an avatar of Olidammara, an avatar of Heironeous, a proxy of Celestian, an avatar of Hextor, and an avatar of Obad-Hai
- Elminster, the Seven Sisters, Drizzt Do'Urden
Easily the best two choices, for differing reasons. :p

grodog

Hero
qstor said:
I believe he was added to serve as a balance to Iuz in the Vesve Forest. He might be extra planar since he has blue skin. I'm not sure there's an explanation to his origins anywhere.

Actually, Noel Grahahm (who knew Carl Sargent) posted some good info about the origins of Philidor on Greytalk several years ago. Until the GT archive is repaired, however, that data's not accessible :(

grodog

Hero
JoeGKushner said:
It'd be nice to see a book like Primal Order come out for the d20 system that focused on acquiring godly power and the various ranks that can be had within it. saints, hero-deities, quasi-deities, demi-gods, half-gods, godlings, etc...

I've pinged Peter about this a few times, but he's not biting yet :(

X

xnosipjpqmhd

JoeGKushner said:
But why does "canon" matter?
A while ago I finished up a long campaign set in the wilderness areas south of the Hold of the Sea Princes. We really fleshed out all the area around the Jeklea Bay. Then someone goes and plunks the entire city of Cauldron right next door!

(This doesn't really bother me, since it's a simple matter to ignore it for my campaign, but it does illustrate one of many issues with "canon".)

ironregime

JoeGKushner

First Post
ironregime said:
A while ago I finished up a long campaign set in the wilderness areas south of the Hold of the Sea Princes. We really fleshed out all the area around the Jeklea Bay. Then someone goes and plunks the entire city of Cauldron right next door!

(This doesn't really bother me, since it's a simple matter to ignore it for my campaign, but it does illustrate one of many issues with "canon".)

ironregime

? But how does it effect you? You finished the campaign no?

And unless I'm mistaken, Cauldron itself isn't actually mentioned in any Greyhawk books as opposed to being on the map from Dragon/Dungeon magazine.

Remove ads