Grim Tales + Black Company = Big Fun!

nakia

First Post
Old One said:
Actually, the MDT for this one, since I was using FDH, was CON + 1/2 level + shield bonus (shield had to be readied)...I didn't want to count armor twice (like I did before). Most of the MDTs where in the 18-20 range. The one PC that got snatched up by the gargantuan scropion at the end of the scenario had improved damage threshold and a high CON, so her MDT was up around 23.

~ OO

Well, I hope I didn't accidentally add Maxian's armor bonus into his MDT as well. :eek:

If I did it right, his MDT should have been 22 (4 (level) + 14 CON + 1 shield +3 (improved damage threshold)). And it availed him naught against the giant scorpion and its + A LOT grapple check. :)

Henry

Autoexreginated
I had an 18 MDT, but I was perfectly capable of damaging myself, thank you. :)

Black Company uses CON score + level - that's a massive MDT score, to me. CON or CON + 1/2 level would be sufficient to keep you out of most trouble, but still count any smash that would knock you for a loop, anyway.

GlassJaw

Hero
CON or CON + 1/2 level would be sufficient to keep you out of most trouble

In most cases, I think your Con score is the best way to go. It also makes the Increased Damage Threshold feat worth taking (and useful). If you start adding armor and level to your MDT, there isn't much use for a MDT at all.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
nakia said:
Well, I hope I didn't accidentally add Maxian's armor bonus into his MDT as well. :eek:

If I did it right, his MDT should have been 22 (4 (level) + 14 CON + 1 shield +3 (improved damage threshold)). And it availed him naught against the giant scorpion and its + A LOT grapple check. :)

Even though I'm seeing naught but numbers, this sounds like an awesome game-- more and more Harryhausen in my imagining...

GlassJaw said:
In most cases, I think your Con score is the best way to go. It also makes the Increased Damage Threshold feat worth taking (and useful). If you start adding armor and level to your MDT, there isn't much use for a MDT at all.

SHOULDN'T YOU BE WORKING!?

Henry

Autoexreginated
Wulf Ratbane said:
Even though I'm seeing naught but numbers, this sounds like an awesome game-- more and more Harryhausen in my imagining...

Somehow, I just got the image of our Legionnaires, lock-step in formation but screaming, as two Scorpion Mounts with Riders, Stop-Motion attack the ranks... :lol:

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Does GlassJaw work at BadAxe?

And if you're firing him, I'll be looking for a job come August.

M.A. Eng - Rhet/Comp, great written and oral communication skills...

:D

I like just Con, but I want to playtest it a little in a higher-power Sword and Sorcery style game. I think FDH and medium/heavy armors will keep the MDT saves acceptable, myself.

--fje

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
HeapThaumaturgist said:
I think FDH and medium/heavy armors will keep the MDT saves acceptable, myself.

I think in this instance, limiting the Defense bonus by armor would be appropriate.

That way you'll have two very distinct and realistic approaches to combat-- don't get hit vs. don't get hurt.

Fenris

Adventurer
Wulf Ratbane said:
I think in this instance, limiting the Defense bonus by armor would be appropriate.

That way you'll have two very distinct and realistic approaches to combat-- don't get hit vs. don't get hurt.

Wulf, could you elaborate? limiting based upon max dex of the armor or the armor value?

Remove ads