• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GSL news.

Xorn

First Post
So this means that VTTs like Fantasy Grounds will be able to provide a ready made character sheet and SRD module, correct?

Halivar

First Post
My prediction is that we can stick a fork in Pathfinder as an independent system.

EDIT: Kudos the WotC. While I never purchased, nor cared to purchase 3rd-party content, it pleases me on an ideological level that WotC has decided to offer the GSL as a free license with an SRD. It shows good-faith and good-will; something the corporate gaming industry can continue to learn from.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Xorn said:
So this means that VTTs like Fantasy Grounds will be able to provide a ready made character sheet and SRD module, correct?

We won't know until June 6. The SRD won't be publicly available until that time.

JeffB

Legend
Halivar said:
My prediction is that we can stick a fork in Pathfinder as an independent system.

Maybe as some kind of competition to WOTC sales (if it EVER was), but Pathfinder I'd suspect is FAR from "done" as a system. It will continue to be a refuge for those who dont want to go with 4E or become disenchanted with it after trying it.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Halivar said:
I hope not. They're going to do great things. They're just different great things than the 4e line.

To confirm, no one paid the $5K licensing fee. So no problems there.

And heads up, gang: this is NOT the thread to discuss merits or concerns about Pathfinder, except specifically how Paizo is affected by the GSL. Please shunt that conversation off into a different thread if it interests you.

Last edited:

Baka no Hentai

First Post
Well I'm sure the fact that A.) There is a GSL out and B.) Publishers wont have to buy-in to it is good news for those that enjoy buying third party products.

Im curious to see just what exactly it allows publishers to do with 4E and what other restrictions may be in place, but its good to see some movement on this front.

Halivar

First Post
JeffB said:
Maybe as some kind of competition to WOTC sales (if it EVER was)
That was the implication I was making; not that Paizo would suddenly drop it (if I remember correctly that the lack of GSL was not the reason for the creation of the Pathfinder system).

For the success of 3rd-party content, (I believe, IMO, that) community involvement is essential. Without a GSL, Pathfinder is the obvious second-best place for 3rd-party publishers "re-center" the open-gaming community. With free-and-clear GSL, I don't think there will be such a shift at all.

Hence the "stick a fork in it" comment. Sorry if there was confusion.

Remove ads