GTS 2009 D&D Seminar - the Rouse discusses D&D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
Hi,

I read this blog post :

http://www.livingdice.com/1639/gts-2009-dungeons-and-dragons-seminar

and thought that it would be interesting for this community.

I want to quote so that you don't have to go there but can just comment here:

I will correct, expand, or further some of the notes taken in the live blog as I presented a ton of info in a short amount of time.

Overall our strategy for 2009 will be to continue to market to the existing D&D fans. Lapsed players, current players of other editions, and fans of the brand who participate in other ways like novels and video games. Our hope is that as D&D becomes a multi-generational brand with players now becoming moms & dads, the next generation starts being recruited with in existing playing families. we also will get some halo effect acquistion through our efforts focused on core fans. In 2010 we'll start to focus more on pure acquisition on non-players.

We are continuing to invest in expanding our Organized Play efforts including re-tool Delve night, 3 game days this year, and a new DM rewards program.

Our marketing efforts will focus mostly on core hobby media and less on mass type media. This will include a focus on bloggers, podcasts, core RPG sites, and more "viral" web based media. Print will be minimal with some trade adversting and a few core magazines like KQ and Level Up.

We really want top counter the perception that D&D is a tactical, combat focused war game. We want to show off the roleplaying potential with the system. I have been told Robin has written an excelennt chapter on storytelling inthe DMG 2 and we hope to demonstrate the RP potential of the system in other ways including a 4e version of Village of Homlet.

To clear up something on the PHB2 game day. We received feedback that the Paragon level play was a little too much for a game day event. This is not a concern that Paragon play has issues but in a limited time event with players (possibly newer players) using pre-gens of new classes this type of event maybe better using mid-tier heroic PCs.

Also, the MM2 game day will feature a pre-gen Paladin with preview content from Divine Power.

I'll add more later. I am going to watch Lost with my wife :D

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
To clear up something on the PHB2 game day. We received feedback that the Paragon level play was a little too much for a game day event. This is not a concern that Paragon play has issues but in a limited time event with players (possibly newer players) using pre-gens of new classes this type of event maybe better using mid-tier heroic PCs.
I just ran a lvl 12 playtest for a freelance project, and yeah - there was a big learning curve even amongst the experienced characters. It's a system that at higher levels seems to reward play over time, instead of a one-shot.

Thanks for expanding on these. Really interesting. You've managed to answer some of the strategy questions I wasn't able to fully nail down two weeks ago in that Q&A.

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
I´ll second the thanks - very nice stuff, looking forward to DMG2. Its so refreshing to talk about the game once in a while and not get the usual anger and flames.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
In 2010 we'll start to focus more on pure acquisition on non-players.
Can you give us any information on what this will entail? This sounds fascinating.

We really want to counter the perception that D&D is a tactical, combat focused war game. We want to show off the roleplaying potential with the system. I have been told Robin has written an excellent chapter on storytelling in the DMG 2 and we hope to demonstrate the RP potential of the system in other ways including a 4e version of Village of Hommlet.
Great. I'm really looking forward to this. Robin Laws should sneak in an "Over the Edge" reference too (shhhh!)

Saracenus

Always In School Gamer
Scott,

It has been mentioned that Sigil would be the mapped out city in DMG2. Can you let us know what product Village of Homlet will show up in? Or is that not on the schedule yet?

Thanks,

<SNIPY, SNIPY>
We really want top counter the perception that D&D is a tactical, combat focused war game. We want to show off the roleplaying potential with the system. I have been told Robin has written an excelennt chapter on storytelling inthe DMG 2 and we hope to demonstrate the RP potential of the system in other ways including a 4e version of Village of Homlet.
<SNIPY, SNIPY>

Jack99

Adventurer
The Penny-Arcade podcast drove 700k to the D&D website

If this means that 700k people came to wizards' website via a link on Penny Arcade, this sounds like a lot, doesn't it? Or is it just me?

Tuft

First Post

I don't think even more "oh, that fluffy stuff only the DM reads" chapters will change that perception.

I think what the game needs is cool non-combat stuff that draws the eyes of players, not DMs. When you build your characters, there should be abilities and capabilites that makes you go "Oh, I want to buy/use/try that!"; more skills/powers/rituals/magic items purely aimed at the non-wargame part of the game. Or rules for that sake, like an roleplay-focused advantage/disadvantage system or something.

The article on Familiars in Dragon makes a good example. They had cool non-combat stuff they could do, and they had wonderful little roleplayable quirks listed.

The 4E rules set is the first rule set I encountered that I did not stop while leafing through and say "ooooh! I want to do that!" in regards to non-combat stuff... :(

(I did not do that on combat stuff either, but that is because I've burned myself out on MMOs, and want table-top RPGs to provide what you cannot get in a computer game.)

Last edited:

Kelon

First Post
Perhaps WotC should release an adventure which focuses on interaction and mysteries and not mostly on tactical fights.
Only a fluff chapter in the DMG II will change nothing.

Our marketing efforts will focus mostly on core hobby media and less on mass type media. This will include a focus on bloggers, podcasts, core RPG sites, and more "viral" web based media. Print will be minimal with some trade adversting and a few core magazines like KQ and Level Up.
So, how does Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles figure into this? (You watch that show, right?)

Aside from that, I am sure the writers of Kobold Quarterly and Level Up like the title of "core magazine". ;)

On an unrelated note - I wonder if there are any plans to find a new distributor in Germany? I am accustomed to using English books, but not everyone is, and certainly not newbies...

Don't forget to add more such stuff in your adventures and your player-targeted stuff (PHB, <source> Power)

xechnao

First Post
Some questions:

1)
"2008 Global Brand Study US and Canada and part of Europe."
"Aided Awareness 89% (brand recognition)"

-What does "global" stand here for? Also I would like to ask what kind of people this survey reached. Random, casual people? WOW subscribers? People who frequent certain web sites?

2)
"80% WOW
"89% D&D

-What was the question of this answers? I would guess if respondents know about or recognize what D&D or WoW stand for but I aint sure. Clarification would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads