GTS 2009 D&D Seminar - the Rouse discusses D&D

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferratus

Adventurer
The one thing I'd like to know is if there is a 4e single-player module based video game in the works in the mold of Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights.

There are far too many classes I want to play, and far too little time in the next 10 years to play them on the tabletop. Something I could do on my own time for an hour a night would be excellent.

xechnao

First Post
The one thing I'd like to know is if there is a 4e single-player module based video game in the works in the mold of Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights.

There are far too many classes I want to play, and far too little time in the next 10 years to play them on the tabletop. Something I could do on my own time for an hour a night would be excellent.

The problem I see with video games and 4e is that AI could not be used to make a fun experience in the way Baldur's Gate did. 3e was a game based on resources and exploration, 4e is more chess like. Could they now create a solo video game that managed to provide a good experience with the 4e toolset? I think they would have to add other elements of resources to engage the player. Perhaps a game like jagged alliance 2 with big tactical maps where one combat could take place would be more suitable. But that would difficultly make a ground for some interesting story or plot development. It would make for a strategy game like jagged alliance, rather than a classic crpg game.

Were there any references in the show?

One episode was called Dungeons & Dragons, in the latest episodes featured
John Henry painting miniatures and later even playing a combat against various monster, including a Mind Flayer. He has shown the ability to roll whatever dice result he wants, making the Vorpal Sword he's using particularly overpowered.

Cadfan

First Post
If this means that 700k people came to wizards' website via a link on Penny Arcade, this sounds like a lot, doesn't it? Or is it just me?
Its a lot of people objectively speaking, but Penny Arcade has been known to destroy websites by posting links to cool things, resulting in huge numbers of people accessing the site simultaneously and overwhelming it. So the number doesn't surprise me.

avin

First Post
"new D&D website"

Yes, please. And merge RPGA database also.

"Robin Laws will have a chapter on storytelling in 4E. They have received feedback that the 4e game is a tactical wargame with limited role-playing"

As a 4E DM I salute you. While is a nice edition we're lacking a bit more of RP and incentive. I mean no offense here, but I have seen lots of 4E enthusiasts saying it doesn't hinder RP but, for new players, it does, as combat is very cool and there's no XP for roleplaying... :)

"future applications include “Campaign Tools” for monsters, enounters, maps and adventures for DMs"

Encounter Builder + Compendium + Easy Print.

"current players of other editions"

Compendium + Character Builder for older editions = tons of returning players.

Last edited:

JeffB

Legend
We really want top counter the perception that D&D is a tactical, combat focused war game. We want to show off the roleplaying potential with the system.

I've never understood this thinking either. But I've never run alot of combat in D&D whether it was the LBBs I started with or 4E. I think another thing that would help Scott is really pushing out the utility powers and rituals for the spellcasters- in particular utility powers that can be used creatively in combat if you have a clever player-not blasts and rays, and such.

I have been told Robin has written an excelennt chapter on storytelling inthe DMG 2 and we hope to demonstrate the RP potential of the system in other ways including a 4e version of Village of Homlet.

:D excellent. Homlett is always a win. Will this be in in the DMG2? or is this a separate product?

I would also suggest that the RP element not only needs to be "pushed" in the DMG2, but also WOTC published adventure material. I've avoided the WOTC adventures because of the "long string of combat encounters" style- I've exclusively spent my money with Goodman, as they are combining great story lines/plots, fun encounter areas and classic D&D feel (check out Isle of the Sea Drake, e.g)

Sounds like all good news Scott- Thanks! :)

Last edited:

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Overall our strategy for 2009 will be to continue to market to the existing D&D fans. Lapsed players, current players of other editions, and fans of the brand who participate in other ways like novels and video games.

I think you wanted a colon there. You're saying that "existing D&D fans" = lapsed players, players of other editions, and fans of the brand.

We also will get some halo effect acquistion through our efforts focused on core fans.

Who are the core fans? Does this mean current 4e players?

Am I understanding correctly that lapsed/prior edition fans aren't currently considered core?

Our marketing efforts will focus mostly on core hobby media and less on mass type media. This will include a focus on bloggers, podcasts, core RPG sites, and more "viral" web based media. Print will be minimal with some trade adversting and a few core magazines like KQ and Level Up.

Sounds good to me! Go where the geeks are. ;)

We really want top counter the perception that D&D is a tactical, combat focused war game. We want to show off the roleplaying potential with the system. I have been told Robin has written an excelennt chapter on storytelling inthe DMG 2 and we hope to demonstrate the RP potential of the system in other ways.

Hmm. I would not have guessed that among brand fans, the perception that it was a tactical combat game was the problem. D&D has always been a tactical combat game. I think 4e certainly highlighted/enhanced that existing "core brand experience."

Was there marketing research specifically to lapsed/prior edition players to find out why they did not adopt 4e? I didn't see anything here at ENworld. Is there a bigger, more accessible pool of "brand fans" who are not 4e adopters?

I'd like to know what's holding them back, and my guess is that the predominant reason is that 4e "breaks with the traditions of prior editions."

"Lots of cool, evocative tactical combat" is the one tradition 4e delivered in spades.

In my opinion, it's not that the play feels different, it's that the world feels different.

A fluff chapter in the DMG II will change nothing.

With all due respect, and much props to Robin Laws-- especially when Robin Laws is writing it. Robin could convince folks to play chess as an RPG.

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
Can you give us any information on what this will entail? This sounds fascinating.

Great. I'm really looking forward to this. Robin Laws should sneak in an "Over the Edge" reference too (shhhh!)

This tends to be broader reaching media, likely aimed at younger video game players. The messaging is typically different based on the demographic. We have not solidified any plans on this as of yet. Our 2010 marketing planning won't start until mid 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads