• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Guess the LA!

dcollins

Explorer
I was going to say that specifying the natural attacks is pretty important. So we see it has 12, can you specify the damage?

wraith8

First Post
1d6 damage for each of the 9 claw attacks, 2d6 for each of the 3 bite attacks.

Note, of the 9 claw attacks, 3 are ruled as primary weapons, the other 3 and the 3 bites are secondary weapons.

Coincidentally, the description allows for the creature to wield instead of the 9 claws 6 medium size weapons instead....

The creture automatically has the feats alertness, multiattack, and multiweapon fighting.....

dcollins

Explorer
You're calling 5 natural armor negligible? That's like worth +1 LA all on its own (consider lizardfolk).

Anyway, from what you're saying the sharn's raw melee stats must look something like this -- Sharn: CR ?; AC 19; hp 38; Spd 10, fly 40; Face/Reach 10/10; Atk 3 claws +6 (1d6+4), 6 claws +4 (1d6+2), 3 bites +4 (2d6+2); SA quickness; SQ DR 10/cold iron, regenerate 2, etc.

The natural armor plus DR plus regeneration stacks up for a considerable defense. Running this through my melee simulator program, even as just a brute melee fighter the Sharn can hold its own against up to a 10th-level NPC fighter (assuming no cold iron or Lawful weapon). That indicates a baseline of +6 LA right there, without considering flight or any other abilities.

I'd ballpark another +3 on top of that for (1) flight, (2) the good mental stats, and (3) miscellaneous immunities, evasion, and "hex portals".

So my guess is LA +9. The base creature would have a total ECL of 13.

EDIT: However, by virtue of some online clues, I might guess that there are still other significant powers that haven't been addressed yet.

Last edited:

Elric

First Post
I doubt that this will be easy to balance. When you have one class level, your HP might be so low that you will just be really fragile. When you have 6 class levels though, you might be incredible thanks to all of the abilities.

Falconnan

First Post
Still need to know the creature type and spell like abilities. Creature type affects BAB, and skill points/HD.
All told, I'm thinking LA of +7, not counting the spell-like abilities. Please supply above info, unless I missed it.

Knight Otu

First Post
KaeYoss said:
I guess +6 as well, because of the 4 racial HD (which don't grant any special abilities)
Please don't forget that ECL is calculated as LA + Racial HD + Class Levels. Racial HD (officially) only affect the LA indirectly.

I cheated, and took a peek. Too low. Far too low.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Knight Otu said:
Please don't forget that ECL is calculated as LA + Racial HD + Class Levels. Racial HD (officially) only affect the LA indirectly.

I know.

With the additional info, my guess goes up quite a bit.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads