• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Guess the LA!

Voadam

Legend
Elric said:
I doubt that this will be easy to balance. When you have one class level, your HP might be so low that you will just be really fragile. When you have 6 class levels though, you might be incredible thanks to all of the abilities.

With a base Con of 10 the +10 con bonus gives it 4d8+20 hp before it gains a single class level and +5 hp at every class level after that. Plus it has DR and regeneration. Not too fragile compared to a lot of ECL creatures.

wraith8

First Post
Voadam said:
With a base Con of 10 the +10 con bonus gives it 4d8+20 hp before it gains a single class level and +5 hp at every class level after that. Plus it has DR and regeneration. Not too fragile compared to a lot of ECL creatures.

I'll give all (including wht i haven't revealed) the stats in a single post later.....

But yeah, the la is way too low....

dcollins

Explorer
Frankly, I was hoping anyone else would post the stats, as it's pretty clear the original poster just intends to tease.

According to an online ECL estimate website (here: http://csserver.evansville.edu/~jc84/DD3/Monster_ECL.htm ), someone computed the Sharn's level adjustment at +22. That indicates that there still have to be some significant powers no one has mentioned yet.

Last edited:

Firzair

First Post
I'd post the stats, but I think the sharn are IP and therefore no OGC.
But for those interested, the sharn stats update is in this web enhancement over at the WotC-Page.
After reading the web enhancement I want to play a sharn, its LA is given as lo and behold ..... +5 !!! They are just nuts.

Greetings
Firzair

Knight Otu

First Post
dcollins said:
According to an online ECL estimate website (here: http://csserver.evansville.edu/~jc84/DD3/Monster_ECL.htm ), someone computed the Sharn's level adjustment at +22.
As it happens, that was me, ages ago (note that it is the ECL, not the LA. According to the terminology, it would be called LA +18 now).
If I were to calculate it again today, it might be lower (Soldarin's system tended to overrate a number of things), but the official +5 (total ECL of 9) is way too low.
+8 at the very least, to cover the spellcasting levels, and the special abilities may well push it farther up.

dcollins

Explorer
Aha. The web enhancement is not the whole thing, just 3.5 updates. Nontheless, I don't think anyone mentioned this:

Change spellcasting levels to spells,but the function is the same:
A sharn casts spells as a 7th-level sorcerer and a 5th-level cleric.

Independent Action (Ex):A sharn ’s three separate conscious-
nesses allow it to take two standard actions and a move action,or a
full-round action and an extra standard action,each round.It can
thus cast two spells in a round,though the two spells must come
from the lists of different classes.

So in addition to everything else, it's also effectively a 7th-level sorcerer and 5th-level cleric that can cast two spells per round.

I'd be willing to go LA +15 at this point, barring any other abilities in the full text description.

Felix

Explorer
Fee-fi-foe-felms,
I smell the work of Forgotten Realms.

Again.

This monster is silly. Not that there isn't a place for silly monsters sometimes, but really, this is absurd.

LA? It's a level adjustment of +"does it really matter since the PCs are going to be ubersmench anyway?"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads