D&D 5E [GUIDE] My Word Is My Sword: The Paladin Guide

mellored

Legend
Armor of Peace (Lv. 3): With only 10 DEX the AC is still equivalent to chain mail, so that's nice if you want to go unarmored for the style points. Incompatible with Defense Fighting Style or a shield.
Armor of Peace with 20 dex = 21 AC, which is the same as a shield and defensive fighting style, but that just opens TWF. Paladins don't have any other bonus actions, so TWF is good.
Net effect is +3-5 initivive, and +5-11 damage.

Just ignore warrior of reconciliation, that's a pretty solid deal.

[*]Warrior of Reconciliation (Lv. 3): Charm an enemy you knock to 0 hit points. This requires the use of a simple bludgeoning weapon, all of which require STR to use effectively.
I wouldn't consider this a combat-ability. But more of a post-combat utility.
KO someone with your short sword or friendly barbarian. Tie it up, use lay-on-hands to revive it with 1 HP, then hit it with a mace. Proceed with your interrogation or have it check for traps.

Also, remember that no other paladin get's level 3 features.

1 good passive + 1 odd utility passive + and 1 weak channel divinity
vs
1 good channel divinity.

Net result are pretty good.

For Oath of Conquest, is the MO Sword and Board V. Human or Half Orc Greatweapon? Also you think Resiliant CON is worth it on him?

I'd go sword and board for Oath of Conquest. Without Sacred Weapon (Devotion) or Vow of Enmity (Vengeance), great weapon isn't all that worth it, IMO. Conquest is more about control than outright damage anyway, with Aura of Conquest and its synergy with Wrathful Smite, mass-fear Channel Divinity and Fear as Oath spell. You have Spiritual Weapon for those battles where you do need outright damage, which again doesn't depend on your weapon type.

And yes, Resilient (CON) is very worth it for Conquest. Helps you maintain concentration for Wrathful Smite on an enemy you've trapped in your Aura of Conquest.

Anıl Akbulut

First Post
I'd go sword and board for Oath of Conquest. Without Sacred Weapon (Devotion) or Vow of Enmity (Vengeance), great weapon isn't all that worth it, IMO. Conquest is more about control than outright damage anyway, with Aura of Conquest and its synergy with Wrathful Smite, mass-fear Channel Divinity and Fear as Oath spell. You have Spiritual Weapon for those battles where you do need outright damage, which again doesn't depend on your weapon type.

And yes, Resilient (CON) is very worth it for Conquest. Helps you maintain concentration for Wrathful Smite on an enemy you've trapped in your Aura of Conquest.

I was thinking the same but the appeal of playing a paladin screaming about conquest and domination while cleaving :):):):) with a greataxe is too damn appealing to me.

I love your guides by the way, built a flavourful as hell PDK and Mastermind thanks to em. I hope to see a Wizard guide sometime.

Well, apparently while I wasn't looking, Jeremy Crawford settled the Improved Divine Smite debate a couple months back.

As it turns out, you DO double-dip the damage when you use Divine Smite. So it's +1d8 on all melee attacks, and then an EXTRA +1d8 when you Smite.

Excellent ...

Sigh, and now Crawford took that ruling back. It's just +1d8 on all hits, no buff to the actual Smite itself.

Which is likely the way it ought to work in the first place, mind. And the way I had ruled it until Crawford confused matters with that first tweet that he finally took back a few months later. Still, be consistent, dude.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/6lfniz/crawford_changed_the_ruling_on_improved_divine/
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/880854156906340352
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/880852301140811777

Last edited:

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Honestly I would have never looked at it the way his first tweet implied, but it does make a lot more sense. So I'm just going to ignore the second tweet as one of the many mistakes he's made.

Building an Oath of the Crown Mountain Dwarf, for my first ASI I'm torn between Shield Master and Sentinel. Any synergies that I'm missing that might make either of the feats edge infront of eachother?

smbakeresq

Explorer
Building an Oath of the Crown Mountain Dwarf, for my first ASI I'm torn between Shield Master and Sentinel. Any synergies that I'm missing that might make either of the feats edge infront of eachother?

Shield master was my choice with same build. It's on all the time and you choose when to use it. Sentinel requires your DM to let you use it, by triggering the conditions.

Also, if you can get the prone in, your attacks will be with advantage, which greatly increases your damage and gives you 2 chances to land that double damage Smite.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Last edited:

Remove ads