D&D 5E [GUIDE] The Sorlock – Guide to the tormented divine soul with Xanathar's Divine Soul(17)+Hexblade(3) [Updated 12/20/21]

gyor

Legend
What do you think of the new races from Eberron and Ravnica coming out?

Changeling, Kalashtar, Simic Hybrid, and Viashino seem like they could be incredible choices (make the Viashino's tail blade your pact weapon, same with the Simic hybrids tentacles of you chose that).

I am starting a (hopefully) optimized Sorlock at Level 7, using your guide as my inspiration. Could you, or anyone who understands the intricacies of this guide, spell out what you would take at Level 7?

It's a strange break point in my eyes, assuming that I am going 17/3 divine soul/hexblade route. I've settled on starting 5/2 and taking 3 on my next level. Any pointers?

Additionally, I'm struggling as to itemization. Assuming average gold for a level 7 character, and a +1 item of my choice, if anyone had any optimization pointers, or would be willing to spell out specifically what you'd take, I'd be in your debt.

I believe it would help clarify the build at lower levels also, and its relative power level at that break point, which should inform the guide, based on my reading of these 11 pages.

Stephen Morris

First Post
I chose an alternate build for mine when I was 7 that was ultimately going to end up 12 warlock 8 sorc. So I was 4 warlock 3 sorc at 7 and would have gone 5 warlock at 8 then 4 sorc at 9. But that's a melee focused spell storing build but it was awesome...

But the more traditional sorlock I'd probably go 5 sorc since your more spell caster range focused and 2 warlock. Then probably 3 warlock at 8th.

As far as itemization goes, great thing about this build from my experience is besides components for casting and your standard armor and maybe a shield. Your not item dependant at all.

I found myself passing on most magic items simply because others needed more.

If I had to pick something make your armor +1 imo.

Last edited:

Obliza

Explorer
I am starting a (hopefully) optimized Sorlock at Level 7, using your guide as my inspiration. Could you, or anyone who understands the intricacies of this guide, spell out what you would take at Level 7?

It's a strange break point in my eyes, assuming that I am going 17/3 divine soul/hexblade route. I've settled on starting 5/2 and taking 3 on my next level. Any pointers?

Additionally, I'm struggling as to itemization. Assuming average gold for a level 7 character, and a +1 item of my choice, if anyone had any optimization pointers, or would be willing to spell out specifically what you'd take, I'd be in your debt.

I believe it would help clarify the build at lower levels also, and its relative power level at that break point, which should inform the guide, based on my reading of these 11 pages.

So the primary goal here is to find reliable ways of obtaining advantage, with the best 3 methods being.

Darkness + Devilsight
Greater Invisibility
Staff of Swarming Insects

One of the most powerful solutions is to make your item of choice a staff of swarming insects. This means advantage on attacks, disadvantage on attacks against you, no opportunity attacks to move away from enemies. Its also not a concentration spell. Keep in mind you would not be able to wield a shield until you get warcaster.

If this weapon is not allowed I would bargain for a Wand of the Warmage +1, this is going to be equivalent to a +1 sword, this also means no shield until warcaster.

Armor should be a breastplate or halfplate if you dont mind the stealth disadvantage and can afford it. Studded Leather is an option if you have high dexterity.

I would then make my invocations repelling blast and agonizing blast.

As for level 8.
Sorcerer
Empowered Healing is not worth writing home about.
For 3rd level spells I would suggest fireball, blink, haste, counterspell, spirit guardians, revivify, melfs minute meteors, hypnotic pattern, mass healing word, beacon of hope, fly.
There are a lot of good third level spells..
Polymorph at 9th level is certainly worth writing home about, could be worth delaying third level of warlock until 10th level.

Warlock
Main selling point of warlock 3 is the additional 2 sorcerer points per short rest.If you are going pact of the tome you want the book of ancient secrets as fast as possible.
If you would rather stick to repelling blast (I'm currently in love with repelling blast) you could go pact of the chain for an imp familiar. Although going this path and not taking voice of the chain master would feel bad.
Voice of the Chain Master
You can communicate telepathically with your familiar and perceive through your familiar’s senses as long as you are on the same plane of existence. Additionally, while perceiving through your familiar’s senses, you can also speak through your familiar in your own voice, even if your familiar is normally incapable of speech.

This gives you effectively another set of eyes, you are immune to the blinded condition unless both you and your familiar are blinded. You can see from multiple angles. I love this invocation. (Invisible Imp with +5 on stealth)

As for feats its Elven Accuracy > 20Charisma > Warcaster (I.E 15Cha Pointbuy, 17Cha Half Elf, 18Cha Elven Accuracy, 20Cha ASI (10th level (8th level sorcerer ASI), Warcaster)

Last edited:

For a preface; thank you, tremendously, for the in-depth and insightful answer. Truly appreciated.

My GM has houseruled that Devil's Sight / Agonizing Blast Combo is forbade. Thus, logically, I assume he's going to do the same for Staff of Swarming Insects and I am adjusting my build as a result, still choosing to go Divine Sorcerer / Hexblade. Would the ban on DS/AB create a situation where you would rethink your path and adjust it to Shadow Sorcerer instead?

For more information, my stat array is as follows, and I am half-drow:

Str 8
Dex 15
Con 14
Int 10
Wis 12
Cha 17

This factors in the drow bonus. I believe I have statted it correctly, assuming Elven Accuracy, at Level 7. If I have not, I will adjust it upon your advice.

Campaign-wise, my GM has limited my itemization to 1 +1 item, which I will then argue for a Wand of the Warmage +1, and any mundane items I desire, without limit.

As such, I will take your advice and use a Breastplate and Wand of the Warmage +1. Any other suggestions? Does this change your analysis? Or would you recommend with my 15 dexterity to go Studded?

I personally really like Repelling Blast, and since I can't do the DS/AB combo, I am uncertain exactly what to take in place of it.

Again, I very much am appreciative of your help OP, and the genius of this post is what attracts me to the build* (typo)

Last edited:

Obliza

Explorer
For a preface; thank you, tremendously, for the in-depth and insightful answer. Truly appreciated.

My GM has houseruled that Devil's Sight / Agonizing Blast Combo is forbade.

Just checking, do you mean that devil sight + darkness is forbade? Or that the devil sight innvocation & the agonizing blast innovcation are both removed from the game?

If agonizing blast is banned I would honestly pick a different build, agonizing blast is the centerpiece of the entire build.

Yes, I was typing too rapidly without thinking. Its the DS/Darkness combo that's forbidden. My minor OCD would normally require me editing my above post for clarity, but since you've clarified I'll leave it as is :cool:

Obliza

Explorer
Yes, I was typing too rapidly without thinking. Its the DS/Darkness combo that's forbidden. My minor OCD would normally require me editing my above post for clarity, but since you've clarified I'll leave it as is :cool:

Divine Soul is utility and healing, shadow sorcerer is the most effective for straight up combat.

I think if combat was my primary focus and devilsight/darkness was banned I would indeed choose shadow sorcerer.

Eyes gives you the combo
Strength of the Grave gives you a decent death save
Hound gives you the Heightened Spell invocation for "free".
Shadow Walk not quite as good as wings but fantastic if you are playing at night.

Although I would talk with your DM as if he has banned devil sight he might dislike you circumventing it this way.
You can always point out that everyone and their mother has a way of getting advantage.

I.E the spells Shadow of Moil, Guardian of Nature, Greater Invisibility.

I would consider staying at warlock 2 if you are happy with agonizing and repelling. Warlock 3 if you love having access to every ritual in the game but if you have a wizard in your party for example its not worth it.
With 15 dex I would go with medium armor. Studded is only worthwhile if you have +4 or +5 mod to dex.

Oh and I would be remiss if I didn't mention the hilarious combo of sending your spiritual weapon + invisible imp familiar into battle while you sit comfortably 60ft away reading a book (possible more depending on if you only treat the 60ft range is the casting range)

Last edited:

Remove ads