D&D 5E [GUIDE] The Sorlock – Guide to the tormented divine soul with Xanathar's Divine Soul(17)+Hexblade(3) [Updated 12/20/21]

Obliza

Explorer
One thing I realized that wasn't mentioned, is how awesome elven accuracy gets with hexblade curse. You can alway re-roll your bad roll with advantage, so this means 3 chances of getting a critical hit, on a 19-20. This translates to a whooping 28.1% crit chance, so its very likely you are gonna get at least one critical hit per EB use (71% of getting at least one crit per EB, or 92% on a double quickened EB). I dont think you factored critical hit damage into your DPR math, but its cerainly not neglectable.

Only on the 5th round would casting hex do more, at 674 vs 648. So for "fast" fights that last at most 4 rounds, using only hexblade's curse for single target damage is the better choice.

Honestly I've been too lazy to try and do the math on both rolls of 1's, crits on 19/20 and advantage/elven accuracy. You make very good points though. I'll get around to it at some stage.
I definitely undersell the crit chance.

Thank you very much for posting this guide. It is exactly what I was looking for! However, I was also wondering if you could explain a bit more your level 1 spell choices? Why not something like Chromatic Orb for its higher damage output and elemental flexibility?

Thanks!

Sure,

Firstly force damage simply does not require elemental flexibility unless your DM is creating new monsters.
You really don't need damage spells like Chromatic Orb. Again, rightly or wrongly I focus on utility.

1 | Healing Word, Bless©
1 | Absorb Elements, Sleep(Early Game)
1 | Shield(HB), Armor of Agathys, Hex©

Healing Word allows you to get your allies off of death rolls, can be twinned.
Bless is great 1d4 on attack rolls is really nice but not better than advantage.

Absord Elements and Shield are fantastic Reaction Spells. Fairly Self Explanatory.

Hex is Hex.

Armor of Agathys is a fairly strong defensive spell. It can effectively be seen as a direct heal with a great side effect.
7th level heal for 35 and deal 35 damage to enemies who hit you.
I've never used it with a high level spell slot but it 'theoretically' seems fun.

Stephen Morris

First Post
What do you think of Avariel (flying elves) assuming bonus to stats is 2 dex and 1 cha. Worth giving up half elf drow to fly? Would your opinion change at all if the DM is giving a free feat to everyone?

Obliza

Explorer
What do you think of Avariel (flying elves) assuming bonus to stats is 2 dex and 1 cha. Worth giving up half elf drow to fly? Would your opinion change at all if the DM is giving a free feat to everyone?

I have not looked at the new races yet but base flying is very strong.

The main priority is getting to 20 Charisma no matter what you pick.

I'd probably go Shadow Sorcerer/Hexblade when playing Avariel. A free feat is amazing but, its going to be clunky to get to 20 Charisma unless you have dice rolled stats

If you workout a good path to reach 20 Charisma with Avariel i'd say go for it 100%

Last edited:

Stephen Morris

First Post
Awesome, thanks for feedback. Did you ever end up posting the 12/8 build? Was trying to figure out how that would look, sounds interesting. Thanks a bunch for the first guide, I found it more helpful than most the others I've read.

As far as my progression plan goes, I was thinking of starting with 8, 16, 14, 10, 12, 15. (elven accuracy with free feat at lvl one to bump that cha to 16, at lvl 5 or 6 take 2 cha with asi to bump cha to 18, 20 at lvl 11. So basically on same time table as the drow half elf. Would probably be smart of me to drop my int to 8. (kind of an oxymoron) for 15 con and bump that up to 16 with resil con in later levels but the DM makes you play at your intelligence which makes sense.

If you try to come up with an intelligent strategy as an 8 int goon he's going to tell you your to dumb to come up with that most likely..

Obliza

Explorer
Awesome, thanks for feedback. Did you ever end up posting the 12/8 build?

Not yet, I'm still working it out. Been busy playing a lore bard taking advantage of find greater steed.

As far as my progression plan goes, I was thinking of starting with 8, 16, 14, 10, 12, 15. (elven accuracy with free feat at lvl one to bump that cha to 16, at lvl 5 or 6 take 2 cha with asi to bump cha to 18, 20 at lvl 11.

You are missing the +1 charisma from Avariel.

Start at 15
+1 from Avariel to 16
+1 from Elven Accuracy to 17
+2 from ASI to 19

+1 from either ASI (With your stats the second point is useless unless you get another +1 from a feat like Resilient)
or
+1 from Actor.

If you are not planning to take medium armor master I would probably start at 16 Charisma.

Rick Sexton

First Post
For Adventure League, the character still seems solid as just a vanilla half elf right? Just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything terrible. Wouldn't be able to go the darkness///devil sight combo, but as its stated its not the best for team play anyway. All of the listed spells I'm seeing appear to just be PHB or XGTE.

Obliza

Explorer
For Adventure League, the character still seems solid as just a vanilla half elf right? Just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything terrible. Wouldn't be able to go the darkness///devil sight combo, but as its stated its not the best for team play anyway. All of the listed spells I'm seeing appear to just be PHB or XGTE.

Yeah vanillia Half Elf is perfect.

I'm not quite sure why you don't think you can go Darkness+Devilsight you don't have to be a drow for that.

ForumFerret

Explorer
Yeah vanillia Half Elf is perfect.

I'm not quite sure why you don't think you can go Darkness+Devilsight you don't have to be a drow for that.

Likely they’re concerned about impacting the party they’re with.

Really looking forward to the 12/8 build when there’s time - I’m looking at 14Sorc/6hex so I’m curious to hear what you’ve got as bonuses for 12/8.

Obliza

Explorer
Why is it everybody out there uses Half elve on Charisma base characters. Tieflings have the same +2 bonus to Charisma please explain?

You are welcome to play a tiefling but you do not get elven accuracy.

See the section on elven accuracy for the reason it is so essential.

Also Flames of Phlegethos & the Infernal Constitution feats don't at all compete with elven accuracy.

Please keep in mind this built was written in regards to min-max. Multi classing and optimal races don't always make for the best roll playing.

Remove ads