• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Guidelines for magic items for high level characters?

Hyperlexic

Explorer
I have to admit, I miss the guidelines from 3.5 and 4e.

I'm running a high level one-shot (17th level). Cleary the PC's should have some magic items but I have no idea how much. Anyone have any rules of thumb?

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Why should the PCs have some magic items?

What sort of power level do you want to give them? The base game is balanced if they don't have any, and so the more/more powerful items that you give them, the higher power they will be compared to the baseline.
Decide how much additional capability that they need, and whether you want to give them anything particularly thematic based upon their backstories. Use that as your basis for what to give them.

Quickleaf

Legend
I have to admit, I miss the guidelines from 3.5 and 4e.

I'm running a high level one-shot (17th level). Cleary the PC's should have some magic items but I have no idea how much. Anyone have any rules of thumb?

There are lots of approaches. Probably the kind of approach you're looking for – judging by your referencing 3.5e and 4e – is someone reverse engineering the treasure horde tables in the DMG...

One roll on Table A for every level from 1 to 5.
One roll on Table B for every level from 6 to 10.
One roll on Table C for every level from 11 to 15.
One roll on Table D for every level from 16 to 18.
One roll on Table E for levels 19 and 20.
One roll on Table F at level 4 and again at level 7.
One roll on Table G at level 10 and again at level 13.
One roll on Table H at level 16.
One roll on Table I at level 19.

Which translates to...

1 common consumable every level from 1 to 5.
1 uncommon consumable every level from 6 to 10.
1 rare consumable every level from 11 to 15.
1 very rare consumable every level from 16 to 19.
1 legendary consumable at level 20.

1 uncommon permanent item at level 4, and another at level 7.
1 rare permanent item at level 10 and another at level 13.
1 very rare permanent item at level 16.
1 legendary permanent item at level 19.

Read more: Analysis of Typical Magic Item Distribution

Hyperlexic

Explorer
This is what really confuses me about CR in 5e. Do the CR's assume NO magic items? If so then your comment makes sense.

In terms of roleplay / backstory: ordinarily, yes... but this is purely intended as a system / tactical experience. We have a regular game at lower levels for our RP fun.

Why should the PCs have some magic items?

What sort of power level do you want to give them? The base game is balanced if they don't have any, and so the more/more powerful items that you give them, the higher power they will be compared to the baseline.
Decide how much additional capability that they need, and whether you want to give them anything particularly thematic based upon their backstories. Use that as your basis for what to give them.

Quickleaf

Legend
Thanks, that's helpful! To be clear: those counts are for a full party of 4, not per character?

Well, those counts are roughly per PC.

But you really owe it to yourself to read that link I posted, if 3.5e/4e style magic item accounting is important to you. [MENTION=3424]FireLance[/MENTION] gives a really good thorough breakdown.

I'd skip magic items for a one-shot.

Giving each character a rare a couple uncommon items wouldn't be out of line tho. But roll randomly. Letting players pick is potent.

Remove ads