• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Guidelines for swift spell creation?

drdevoid

Explorer
I'm pretty new to the swift/immediate action thing. The only guideline I can sense for creating a swift spell is that, generally, a spell that has an effect measured in rounds simply has it's duration shortened sharply to create a swift spell version.

Does anyone have an idea how to do this for direct damage spells? The only spell that I have for reference is a Sean K. Reynolds spell from the WotC site:

Kaupaer's Quickblast
Transmutation [see text]
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 free action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes

A tiny sphere of cold, electricity, or fire speeds from you to the target and deals 1 point of appropriate energy damage per caster level (maximum 5 points). The spell has the descriptor for the kind of energy you select; for example, this is a [cold] spell if you choose a sphere of cold.

You can cast this spell with an instant utterance. Casting the spell is a free action, like a quickened spell, and it counts toward the normal limit of one quickened spell per round.

Material Component: A drop of quicksilver and a blue, yellow, or red glass marble.

From this I guess that 5 points per spell level or say 2d4 per level is a dice cap (perhaps 2d6 if it requires an attack roll?)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads