• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gygax Statue Memorial Update

Vegepygmy

First Post
I know you were kidding, but I'd kind of like these threads to avoid going into that "build a dungeon/the PHB Idol" type of tangents.This is a project that will take some funds to do, and has to be approved by Lake Geneva's local government. (I'd hate for any of them to take some of these suggestions literally).
I agree, but...

Memorial Fund Website said:
A bronze bust of Gary, facing the lake, is the proposed memorial. We hope to incorporate gaming elements into the design, with a bench for viewing and reflecting.
...sounds a bit lackluster to me. I guess it depends on exactly what those "gaming elements" turn out to be, and how they are "incorporated" into the design.

I mean, there has to be a dragon in there somewhere, right? And for some reason, when I think "Gary Gygax memorial," I imagine a statue of Gary with a sword in one hand and some polyhedral dice in the other. You know, something that communicates "Gygax the Legend" as opposed to Gary the Actual Person.

Am I the only one that thinks this is a little creepy?
Seems likely.

...sounds a bit lackluster to me. I guess it depends on exactly what those "gaming elements" turn out to be, and how they are "incorporated" into the design.
Bear in mind this is going to be a public display, not only for the edification of gamers. They don't have free reign on the design either, as pointed out it must be approved by the municipality which will be displaying the statue.

The more extreme the design, the less likely it will be approved and the more likely non-gamers will just find it bizarre, and perhaps worthy of scorn.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com

Byronic

First Post
Am I the only one that thinks this is a little creepy?

While not creepy... a bit meh. I just don't like memorial statues. I can stand them when they're for important events but, not for people.

His name is printing in every edition of DnD. Now that's a memorial I like.

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
I think there are plans for a bench, if not a table.

As far as memorials, every local town usually has a memorial to famous locals, if in name only. So I don't see this as a bad or creepy thing. It's not like they're building an idol for gamers to worship.

Look how many libraries and public buildings in your local town have names of people from 50-150 years ago.

His name is printing in every edition of DnD. Now that's a memorial I like.

Well, the cool thing about memorials is that they last longer than paper. 100 years from now there could either be a 25th edition of D&D, or it might not exist (or be completely changed), and no book would attribute him...but the memorial will still stand.

Kind of like Lake Geneva's statue of Andy Gump. How many people in this era remember "The Gumps", yet here's an icon to remember them and its creator.

Welcome to Lake Geneva, Wisconsin: Discovery: Fun Facts

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I think there are plans for a bench, if not a table.

As far as memorials, every local town usually has a memorial to famous locals, if in name only.

Just a thought: If you run into problems with getting an actual sculpture approved, you may be able to name (or re-name) a city park or nearby patch of wilderness for Gary. The town that I grew up in has a few parks and wilderness areas named (or re-named) for important locals.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Just a thought: If you run into problems with getting an actual sculpture approved, you may be able to name (or re-name) a city park or nearby patch of wilderness for Gary. The town that I grew up in has a few parks and wilderness areas named (or re-named) for important locals.

The Hargrove Grove? Har! :D

Remove ads