Hackmaster Basic

Treebore

First Post
Treebore, that is far too much gaming.

Is the initiative system similar to Car Wars?

Hackmaster sounds like it pulls from a lot of rule concepts that existed by say, the mid to late 80s. And, as in that era, some are clearly inspired by a search for realism.

Few random questions: is there a way to bypass armor so you can still try to hurt an armored opponent with, say, your dagger?

Also, does it have crit tables with nasty effects?

I have heard of there not being enough gaming, but too much?

I never played Car Wars, so don't know.

HMb definitely goes for realism, too much, IMO.

There are a few cases where DR of armor is completely bypassed, and I am sure there is more to come in the Advanced rule book.

Crit and Fumble tables will be in Advanced, and play test samples have been released. Not sure if it was in KotDT or in their Journal. Maybe both.

theemrys

First Post
Treebore, that is far too much gaming.

Is the initiative system similar to Car Wars?

Hackmaster sounds like it pulls from a lot of rule concepts that existed by say, the mid to late 80s. And, as in that era, some are clearly inspired by a search for realism.

Few random questions: is there a way to bypass armor so you can still try to hurt an armored opponent with, say, your dagger?

Also, does it have crit tables with nasty effects?

Ok... very late comment but haven't been here in a while. :)

As for the bypassing armour, right now there's only two ways in basic that I've seen... First is some monsters can (with touch attacks), and the second is that thieves get the bonus in a rearward strike to reduce DR by 1/2 their level. That is to simulate the getting the dagger in the "chinks". It should be noted though that we damage that "penetrates" (roll max on die and get to reroll, wash rinse repeat) a dagger that does 2d4 can add up in a hurry. At our table we've had it go up to 35+ with lucky rolls. Also when backstabbing (thief from behind when opponent not aware) you "penetrate" on a max or max-1 value... so on a dagger (must be small weapon) you would reroll on a 3 or 4 for each d4. It adds up fast.

Treebore

First Post
35+ on 2d4p? Dang! I thought it was unbelievable when one of my players got 26 damage! Those penetrating dice definitely give an element of crazy uncertainty, that's for sure!

Remove ads