Hackmaster On Tap!

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I've looked through Hackmaster and it's funny. But it's never struck me as something worth buying. If I want to play 1E AD&D then I'll just bust the original books out and play.

Hard8Staff

First Post
Flexor,

Glad you liked the humor and thanks for the kind words.

I do have to correct one point, though: HackMaster changed more rules from 2e/1e than 3e did.

And specifically for the GMG, it is a source of TONS of extraneous and useful material for ANY fantasy rpg. Stuff on poisons to diseases to determining family heirlooms to random dungeon dressing to things found on the trail to new magic items to...you get the idea.

:)

Game on!!!

Dave

Tiefling

First Post
I got the Hackmaster PHB and read through it, definitely a great book to read (despite being liberally peppered with errors). The only problem is I'm never going to play it because I hate 2e like nothing else in the world. :)

Geoffrey

First Post
HackMaster is definitely where the action's at.

If you can't afford to buy HackMaster because you're buying something else.....DON'T BUY THE OTHER STUFF!

Let whatever else it is (D&D, SL, FR, LGH, DS, etc) wait its turn.

Because HackMaster is first in line!

Go buy it. It's not one of those sissy games.

Tsyr

Explorer
Geoffrey said:
HackMaster is definitely where the action's at.

If you can't afford to buy HackMaster because you're buying something else.....DON'T BUY THE OTHER STUFF!

Let whatever else it is (D&D, SL, FR, LGH, DS, etc) wait its turn.

Because HackMaster is first in line!

Go buy it. It's not one of those sissy games.

Disclaimer: Food is not general included in the "other stuff to not buy in favor of Hackmaster", although luxurey items such as chips and pop for you gaming group are... trust me, they will thank you later :)

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Flexor, I see your point. However, HM provides so many twists to the old game - most all of them beneficial - and the GMG, in particular, is so chock-full of easily portable material, I highly recommend it for anyone who plays any permutation of D&D.

I also want to stress that I was skeptical of HM at first. I was never a fan of KoDT - in fact, I really disliked it. The first Hacklopedia immediately helped me change my mind. I took a leap of faith on the PHB and bought it - and was blown away. Suddenly it made even KoDT funny to me. The GMG came out, and firmly established HM as one of the best RPG buys I've ever made. I know I must seem like a total shill for this game, but it really is because it merits the praise. The GMG especially, which is one of the most useful RPG books I've ever had the pleasuer to read - I finally can give my battered old 1e DMG a rest in a place of honor on my bookshelf, because the GMG has the bulk of that material and twice that amount in addition.

HM is what I call the "parallel universe" 3e; it takes the best of 1e and 2e (yes, there was some stuff from 2e that was good) and adds in a number of innovations of its own to synthesize a very familar yet new RPG. HM has crowded out a lot of good d20 stuff in my game budget due to its quality.

Geoffrey

First Post
Tsyr said:

Disclaimer: Food is not general included in the "other stuff to not buy in favor of Hackmaster", although luxurey items such as chips and pop for you gaming group are... trust me, they will thank you later :)

Umm, I don't buy food. I buy HackMaster instead, and I haven't ran into any problems. Of course, chips and pop are an essential ingredient in a HackMaster game, so I always buy those. I've found you can live on chips, pop, and HackMaster ;)

Agamon

Adventurer
It's a funny read for sure, especially if you like KoDT, as you'll recognize a lot of stuff. The PHB is well put together and quite nostalgia-inducing.

I just can't get over all of the horrible 1E/2E rules like multiclassing, XP charts, minimum stat reqs and all the rest of that crap that makes me want to slam my head aganist a wall when I think about it. I just can't go back to playing with those rules.

There are some cool new rules though that can be lifted and used elsewhere quite nicely.

Remove ads