• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hackmaster

Ulairi

First Post
If you have a large number of players, you probably want the DM to track initiative just to maintain a semblance of order. In our Friday games, the DM uses index cards to track initiative and calls out each character's name when it is his or her turn. On the rare occasions when somebody isn't paying attention, they get a nudge. In the more likely event that they left the room for a bathroom or smoking break, the DM usually rules that they delay until they get back.

For my games, I use index cards with player info on them. That way, I can just tell a player if they are getting it and by what. Speeds up the game and makes for a better game.

But, if a player decides to get up and leave, they lose their turn that round. Bathroom breaks are ok. I'm really interested in seeing how to handle combat with HMB. I'll know next Tuesday when I have the book.

I'm super excited for it.

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
OK, here's a few more questions"

How hard will it be to convert monsters from the HoB's for compatibility with HMb5?

I'm sure the HMb5 will include several monsters, but I've got over 8 frikkin' volumes of HM4 on the shelf that I'd like to use as well... at least until the new HM5 Hacklopedias come out.

Voadam

Legend
OK, here's a few more questions"

How hard will it be to convert monsters from the HoB's for compatibility with HMb5?

I'm sure the HMb5 will include several monsters, but I've got over 8 frikkin' volumes of HM4 on the shelf that I'd like to use as well... at least until the new HM5 Hacklopedias come out.

The HM5 Hacklopedia will be 256 pages. The 8 core HM 4 Hacklopedias were 128 pages each. So I expect about 75% of the core HM 4 monsters won't be in the HM Hacklopedia unless they get up to a Hacklopedia 4 hardcover.

Mark Plemmons

Explorer
The HM5 Hacklopedia will be 256 pages. The 8 core HM 4 Hacklopedias were 128 pages each. So I expect about 75% of the core HM 4 monsters won't be in the HM Hacklopedia unless they get up to a Hacklopedia 4 hardcover.

You must be psychic - we haven't confirmed a page count yet. :) The single volume Hacklopedia for the new edition could be anywhere from 192 to 400 pages.

You can expect to see a lot of classic fantasy monsters, plus new ones, and some that appeared in the previous edition. We don't have a final list to announce yet, though.

I think converting humanoid monsters should be pretty easy, if you're interested in doing that. The more bizarre creatures might take some more work.

Voadam

Legend
You must be psychic - we haven't confirmed a page count yet. :) The single volume Hacklopedia for the new edition could be anywhere from 192 to 400 pages.

You can expect to see a lot of classic fantasy monsters, plus new ones, and some that appeared in the previous edition. We don't have a final list to announce yet, though.

I think converting humanoid monsters should be pretty easy, if you're interested in doing that. The more bizarre creatures might take some more work.

You are right, I was misremembering the numbers from this post where you told me you expected the not yet completed HM5 Haklopedia to be between 300 and 400 pages. Still a little less than the thousand pages from 8 126 page HM 4 Hacklopedias.

Mea Culpa. :)

Mark Plemmons

Explorer
Will there be Flumphs, or are those WotC intellectual property?

There won't be any WotC intellectual property. (You want flumphs? Seriously? :))

We're basing our monsters on historical and fantastical myths and legends, plus new 'imaginings.' Of course, TSR also used plenty of monsters that came from similar sources, so you're bound to see some familiar creatures.

We'll also be reintroducing some of our original monsters from HM 4th edition, like the Sturmwolf and others.

Last edited:

Hard8Staff

First Post
What about firing a bow while moving?

The reason shooting and movement don't need to be tracked separately, like they are in A&8s, is because no actions in HMb take less than one second...unlike in the western genre when you can empty your colt in 3 seconds flat (or less). See also gatling guns. ;)

Hard8Staff

First Post
Books are arriving at our dock today. You can still preorder by 5pm and it'll get mailed before origins (you can also go with the 'notify Plemmons' method and pick up your preorder at origins if you will be there).

Remove ads