• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E hafrogman's Hoard of the Dragon Queen (full)

Skarsgard

Explorer
Hunter had taken 7 damage and Jeni had Healing Worded him back 7, he'd taken 4 from the cultists and then rally 4 from Morgan, so he is on 26hp

kuey1975

First Post
My idea for Carad right now in positioning him in the rear is that if necessary, he would exit the temple adn chase down the commander if he should flee. Carad might be able to run him down, as Carad can move up to 90ft in one round (move + action dash + cunning action dash) to engage him in melee. But his AC of 14 is low, so preferably when the enemies are thinned out a bit. :) Also, if necessary, he can move the image of the smoke to create more confusion.

[MENTION=8858]hafrogman[/MENTION], not sure how you would rule on this for illusions. RAW says that physical interaction with silent image reveals it to be an illusion as things would go through it but how about illusion of smoke? Things are expected to go through smoke. Forums don't seem to have a consensus on this. Thanks!

Last edited:

hafrogman

Adventurer
I would rule that it still applies. Smoke, and even mist or steam tend to have smells, etc. associated with them. Also, the way they swirl around object passing through them. Once you're actually inside the cloud, you can see it's not real.

kuey1975

First Post
I would rule that it still applies. Smoke, and even mist or steam tend to have smells, etc. associated with them. Also, the way they swirl around object passing through them. Once you're actually inside the cloud, you can see it's not real.
Ok thanks. So if a creature was inside the smoke illusion would it be able to see out it? Just thinking if it is possible for Carad to be inside the smoke cloud firing out but would be unseen.

hafrogman

Adventurer
The smoke cloud was lightly obscuring, so he'd have the opportunity to hide himself in it, and people would have disadvantage on ranged attacks into it.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Same reason all the kobolds do.
Pack Tactics. The dragonclaw has advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one of the dragonclaw’s allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn’t incapacitated.
Not so bad alone, brutal in groups.

kuey1975

First Post
Hmm things seriously don't look good. I think our best bet right now is to try to capture the commander and threaten to kill him if the rest don't back away? Any other ideas?

kuey1975

First Post
Alright, how's this. Might work if we have some luck with the dice. Venn (hasn't taken his turn yet) cast Crown of Madness on the cultist at P6, commanding him to attack (subdual) the dragonclaw, hopefully taking him out. Jeni go bear, move to O8-P9, and take out the cultist at P7 (assuming he didn't move). Carad moves the smoke illusion to the the squares N7-P9. Hunter and Jeni, being inside, would be hidden from the raiders, causing disadvantage to the kobold's slings. (Not sure how DM would rule on those in melee range though.) Next round, Hunter disengages, grab Morgan and the dragonclaw (if he's down) and retreats behind Jeni-bear. After that, we can decide whether to intimidate the rest to flee since we have their commander, or we flee through the back door and link up with the townsfolk.

If the crown of madness doesn't work, my suggestion is we do the same except Hunter just drags Morgan out of the frontline. Then we hope Jeni-bear can take out the commander.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads