• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Half-Celestial (w/out Wings)

Outergod

First Post
IIRC, the 1/2 Celestial template's ECL is +4. Is this with or without wings? Would a 1/2 celestial without wings be +3?

Thanks,
Outergod.

Descritad

First Post
In 3.5, Half Celestials possess wings 100% of the time - up from 75% in 3.0. The ECL in 3.0 was the same whether you had wings or not. The 3.5 Half Celestial is very different from the old one though, being weaker in some areas but much stronger in others.

Thresher

First Post
Anyone got any good ideas for converting my 3.0 HC over to 3.5? The +1 to the ECL and some big changes kinda made it really hard for my HC cleric its sort of in limbo as to if I will keep playing it. :(

Tessarael

Explorer
By Savage Species rules, Wings are a +1 level adjustment. So without wings, it would be 1 level less ... a nice theory, not sure if the game designers followed this when calculating 3.5E Monster Manual ECLs.

Thresher, did your character have wings before? If not talk to your DM about keeping no wings and same ECL. What other changes are problematic?

Thresher

First Post
Well it was mostly just the "its changed, thats how it is" explanation from 3 to 3.5 and the fact the next level it gets, (assuming I keep playing it) basically buys off the additional +1 ECL from 3-4. It did have wings in 3.0, I was just using the template out of the back of the Monster Manual back however many months ago I made it.

IMO-
Didnt like the changes to the elemental immunitys
DR 10/magic is utterly worthless
SR isnt high enough to have any real effect in game either.
Maybe if it was just the same with wings and +4ECL I'd live with it but I preferred the immunities and the rest as is, just like how I made it.

Maybe Im just being pedantic but I like characters to be just as I made them rather than some game companies whim to change them add-lib with no effort to explain.
I really liked that character a lot. It sort of hurts when someone mucks with it.

Last edited:

sithramir

First Post
Yeah isn't 10/magic a good thing for monsters? I mean typical creatures trying to claw at you its useful.

SR doesn't work for PC's because you are lower level than the rest. That sucks but the point is when youfight some big baddie he has decent SR with hat template. If you wanted to boost it so it was useful for a PC you'd have to make it the same for an NPC. And that 9th level paladin half celestial would be one mean mofo with more SR hehe.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads