Half-Orcs and Prestige Classes

garyh

First Post
I think you might have a too narrow view on a half orc. Half orcs can be anything any other race can.

This could be true. Perhaps if I think of them as Half-Humans, PrCs will make more sense. :D

You're right - if I can come up with a good story as to why my Half-Orc is a Contemplative, than that Half-Orc will make a good Contemplative.

Crothian

First Post
garyh said:
I think you might have a too narrow view on a half orc. Half orcs can be anything any other race can.

This could be true. Perhaps if I think of them as Half-Humans, PrCs will make more sense. :D

You're right - if I can come up with a good story as to why my Half-Orc is a Contemplative, than that Half-Orc will make a good Contemplative.

Exactly. And sometimes it's great to play a character that goes against racial norms.

XCorvis

First Post
You can check out the Half-Orc Survivor at the Netbook of Classes. There might be other stuff there you think is appropriate. In general, tho, the class that best fits a character is the one that fits his personality rather than race or physical features.

Lela

First Post
garyh said:
I think we need to know what your version of the half orc is like

It's not that I have a specific character in mind (I'm currently looking for a game in Sacramento). It's that most of them don't make much sense for a Half-Orc.

Wait, wait, wait. This is not at all what you're looking for. As evidenced by your next statment.

garyh said:
As an example - let's take TaB. The classes in there that I think "fit" are Acolyte of the Skin, Blood Magus, and Dragon Disciple. (The Spellsword might work, though the Heavy Armor req makes Barb/(Sorc or Wiz) less workable.) 3 of 15... to me, that seems low. Maybe I'm wrong. It's been know to happen. :p

You just said you were looking for a Barbarian type. My answer:

There are 11 core classes in DnD! That means that only 9% (1/11) of PrCs should be good for Barbarians. Here, by your own judgment, we find that 20% (more than double!) of the classes would work well.

So, no I don't think the Half-Orc's been screwed.

dreamthief

First Post
XCorvis said:
You can check out the Half-Orc Survivor at the Netbook of Classes. There might be other stuff there you think is appropriate. In general, tho, the class that best fits a character is the one that fits his personality rather than race or physical features.

There's at least two others you might have missed. The Orc Scout and the Fiend Binder. I think Green Ronin is coming out with an Orc/Half-Orc book soon and you'll see a wealth of good classes for them.

PLUG: (location for the above two mentioned classes can be found at)
http://www.dreamthief.com/prc.phtml?race=Orc

garyh

First Post
Lela said:

You just said you were looking for a Barbarian type. My answer:

I simply meant that it's easiest for a HO to Multi with Barb. A HO could go Fig/Wiz and just have to keep his levels even.

For a decent number of PrC's, multiclassing is the best/only way to do them, and that's when you have to think of things like Favored Classes. That's all I meant with the Spellsword reference.

garyh

First Post
Azimer the Mad said:
The Rage Mage from Dragon would work pretty well. I think it was in the Steampunk issue.

I actually was just looking at that yesterday. The Rage Mage would certainly work, both in flavor and in playing to the race's stregths (Barb favored class).

reapersaurus

First Post
Nice to see another Sacramentite on the boards.
Welcome, garyh!

As for half-orcs, there are a few that fit quite nicely.
I don't expect that many, and really as long as there are a couple good ones, that fills more higher-level concepts than I'll ever be able to play.

The Mighty contender of Kord seems to match a half-orc the best. (Dragon #283 - Cleric issue)
The Tribal Protector (S&F) fits like a hand in glove, and the Frenzied Berserker (MotW) is just a natural, I'd think.

The Fiend Binder (Dragon 292) is an EVIL animal-torturing spellcasting PrC that uses CHA as its prime attribute.
Talk about a HIDEOUS PrC for a PC!

Where is the Orc Scout from?

Remove ads