Half-Orcs and Prestige Classes

Pramas

Explorer
garyh said:

Where are all the PrCs appropriate for Half-Orcs?

I mean, unless you want to be an eye-gouging Gruumsh-lover, you're kinda stuck.

Am I wrong? Thoughts?

If you can hang on until September, I think you'll appreciate Wrath & Rage: A Guidebook to Orcs and Half-orcs by Jim Bishop. There's all kinds of goodness in there for half-orcs, including prestige classes.

http://www.greenronin.com/cgi-bin/product.cgi?prodid=1102

Look for a web preview towards the end of August.

dreamthief

First Post
XCorvis said:

Not trying to hijack the thread, but are you going to be including non-WotC classes, Dreamthief?

Edit: I just saw you already have. Gonna add the Netbook of Classes?

I certainly hope to, XCorvis. But doing the data entry is no fun. I have a list of non-WotC PrCs and it has about 250 entries, without description/requirements etc. I'll need to modify the engine further to search for WotC, d20 and just web-hosted PrCs but its a life-draining task.

If someone is willing to put in the data for the Netbook of Classes, it'll certainly be up in a jiffy. Also if you need to host the netbooks temporarily, I have more than enough server space to provide.

Email at dreamthief@dreamthief.com for any questions, or offers of help. :)

Regards,
DT
PS: Thanks to those who have done some data entry already. Greatly appreciated and relieves me of some of my emerging carpial tunnel syndrome. :p

Pramas

Explorer
Nightfall said:
Just curious Chris, how soon until we get to see Book of the Righteous?

We're getting 100 shipped directly to GenCon, so if you are there you can check it out hot off the presses. It should hit retail stores a couple of weeks later.

The second web preview should go up on Monday. This time, an entire church.

DM_Matt

First Post
Anything involving GO BIG SMASHY!!!!

IMC, the half-orc id a Barb/Frenzied Berserker. Not only is it a very powerful PRC (IF you make sure that you have a Calm Emotions handy AT ALL TIMES), but it fits in with the HO's favored class, stat adjustments, and temperament. Even the required feats are appropriate, like Destructive Rage and Intimidating Rage.

garyh

First Post
reapersaurus said:
Nice to see another Sacramentite on the boards.
Welcome, garyh!

Thanks, Reapersaurus!! Say, I don't suppose you have any openings in any of your games? :D

I only moved up here two weeks ago, but am currently looking for a game.

Outside of your charity, do you know any good places in Sac to try to find a game? Comic book shops, game shops, what have you...

Thanks!

garyh

First Post
Re: Re: Half-Orcs and Prestige Classes

Pramas said:

If you can hang on until September, I think you'll appreciate Wrath & Rage: A Guidebook to Orcs and Half-orcs by Jim Bishop. There's all kinds of goodness in there for half-orcs, including prestige classes.

http://www.greenronin.com/cgi-bin/product.cgi?prodid=1102

Look for a web preview towards the end of August.

Thanks, Chris - that's PERFECT!! Congratulations, you just sold yourself a book! :)

JoeGKushner

First Post
It's funny that Wrath and Rage is up so soon because Bad Axe Games mentioned in a few places that their next Heroes of High Favor would be on Half-Orcs. Oh well, at least we don't have a Mongoose book for 'em yet.

Storminator

First Post
garyh said:
I think we need to know what your version of the half orc is like

It's not that I have a specific character in mind (I'm currently looking for a game in Sacramento). It's that most of them don't make much sense for a Half-Orc.

As an example - let's take TaB. The classes in there that I think "fit" are Acolyte of the Skin, Blood Magus, and Dragon Disciple. (The Spellsword might work, though the Heavy Armor req makes Barb/(Sorc or Wiz) less workable.) 3 of 15... to me, that seems low. Maybe I'm wrong. It's been know to happen. :p

Tome and Blood is the wrong book to look in. HOs have INT and CHA penalties, meaning they make poor arcane casters. Really any of the other splatbooks would be more appropriate. And can't you see a Half Orc Warpriest?

PS

garyh

First Post
Storminator said:

Tome and Blood is the wrong book to look in. HOs have INT and CHA penalties, meaning they make poor arcane casters. Really any of the other splatbooks would be more appropriate. And can't you see a Half Orc Warpriest?

PS

Warpriest would certainly work. As for TaB, true, anyone playing a HO arcanist is kinda asking for it, but I'm looking at things outside the standard HO Barb that would still give a good feel for the flavor of a HO.

Let's look at the fighter PrC's from Sword and Fist. (I think we can all agree asking for a HO fighter PrC isn't TOO much.) :)

Cavalier: Appropriate for a very civilized HO.
Devoted Defender: Neutral. I don't see a lot of point to this class for anyone, but hey...
Duelist: Only for a very untypical HO.
Fist of Hextor: It works, but how many PC's worship evil gods?
Ghostwalker: Neutral. If you want your HO (or anything else) to be a Clint Eastwood clone, this PrC's for you. If not, oh well.
Gladiator: Very appropriate.
Halfling Outrider: Racially Prohibited.
Knight Protector with the Really Long Name: Racially Prohibited.
Lasher: Very appropriate.
Master of Chains: Would work, but the 13 Int for Expertise is a bit tough. The combination of 6 feat requirements and 14 ranks in non-fighter skills also makes it a long road. You have to go Fig/Rog to get the skills in a reasonable time, but then you slow down your feats, and come to think of it, there are WAY too many feats required for a lot of these SaF classes, but that's another rant. :D
Master Samurai: Only for a very untypical HO (in a campaign that allows Eastern flavor in the first place).
Order of the Bow: It works if you accidentally made your Half-ELF archer a Half-ORC. ;)
Ravager: It works, but not well as a PC class. See "Fist of Hextor," above, regarding evil gods as well.
Tribal Protector: Very appropriate.
Warmaster: Workable, though emphasis on CHA (Diplomacy, Leadership) makes it a bit tough.
Weaponmaster: It'd be great if it wasn't for the Expetise = Int 13 thing again.

I guess you could look at that list and see a lot of options, or you could look at that list and see a lot of things that don't work very well. It's a "Are you a half-full or half-empty person" test, I suppose.

Remove ads