• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Half Sold

maggot

First Post
I figured out what I don't like about 4E: It doesn't appear to fit my DM style. But once I realized that I realized I could play in a 4E game, just never run one.

I have a friend that is full-on in love with 4E, so he will most definitely run a game. With the game apparently so easy to run, I won't even need to buy a 4E PHB. I'll play something simple that doesn't requires a lot of book references. (I've gotten by in some 3E games when I didn't have one.)

I even have a character concept: a tiefling fighter who complains constantly about how she is drawn to evil. I'm hoping that the party has a good paladin so I can complain to him about wanting to commit some crimes, and then he can point out that I don't have to, and I'll say "good point" and move on.

So, I'm in for playing on the 4E side. Anyone else have the same opinion?

JohnSnow

Hero
maggot said:
I figured out what I don't like about 4E: It doesn't appear to fit my DM style. But once I realized that I realized I could play in a 4E game, just never run one.

Not that I'm trying to change your mind or derail your thread, but I'm just curious as to why you don't think you could DM a game with 4E? What about your "style" does 4E contradict?

Lucius Drake

First Post
"You don't have to do that, you know, right?"
"Ehhh... but I have such a good plan for it. Oh well. I'm sure you're right. Moving on then!"
:D

rounser

First Post
I even have a character concept: a tiefling fighter who complains constantly about how she is drawn to evil. I'm hoping that the party has a good paladin so I can complain to him about wanting to commit some crimes, and then he can point out that I don't have to, and I'll say "good point" and move on.
Don't forget to incorporate forgetfulness as part of that concept, so your PC can forget that they don't have to, and start complaining again. I think it's too good a schtick to just have as a one-shot.

I'm looking forward to making a human warlord without an army. He'll make a good foil for your character - I'll have him wander around asking random people "Have you seen my army?" and "Do you know which land I'm a lord of?" and "Why do I have magical powers?" Then he can look confused, and maybe have a good lie down.

Fun times.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
"You don't have to do that, you know, right?"

"Ehhh... but I have such a good plan for it. I've already figured out how to do it without you guys getting involved, or even knowing about it..."

EricNoah

Adventurer
I would certainly consider playing as a player, too. I am not interested in DMing it, either. As a DM my biggest barriers are a) scads of 3x stuff that I want to run -- and it is sounding like converting will not be a trivial matter, and b) I don't have faith that WotC's 4E character generator stuff will be adequate for the way I play (adding house rules, adding 3rd party stuff, usable offline, etc.). The computer support from eTools, as mangled as it is sometimes, and from calculating spellsheets is no longer a luxury for me.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
maggot said:

So, I'm in for playing on the 4E side. Anyone else have the same opinion?

Yeah, I'm there as well. I'll probably use a friends book to make up a character at first, but I think from what I've been reading about the game that it will be more fun to be a player than it would to run a game. Also, once again I'm not looking to invest any money into supporting a new edition (maybe a used players handbook after the first wave of errata, now that the SRD is very different than in 3.5) but I figure it'll be cheaper to be a player this time around than it would to be a DM.

I'll still be DM'ing 3.5 tho'.

Warbringer

Explorer
Same boat... Attracted to playing the game, but just not going to rebuild for DMing...

Re your character concept "drawn to evil", I'm sure your fighter will have powers that tend towards 'supernatural'. Mark these as 'inherited' and every time you use them make a note. AS the number of ticks increase, so do does your need to commit your act of evil....

Now, you not only have a concept, but the party has a consequence of your attempt at self redemption...

"Blast the dragon..." the paladin ordered
"I can't... I won't be able to control myself.... I'll want to hurt he elf again."
"I don't care," the paladin cried. "I only have 6 hit points left!!!"

:) not that that really ever happens in a game

Wormwood

Adventurer
I finally gave up DMing 3.5 a few months ago---I had too many other games which were easier and more rewarding to run.

4e has made me excited about running D&D again, and my group is really looking forward to playing.

Remove ads