Halfling God of Travel?

Wik

First Post
So, here was what I was thinking:

Uncle Spider
A saint of Mongrel, Uncle Spider is a mythical figure that is respected (and occasionally even worshipped) by some halflings.

There are many stories told about Uncle Spider as he travels the world. Some stories (such as how he caught the fire from a giant's breath and used it to warm a village in the north for a year) are obviously mythical, while others (such as how he taught a man that abusing his children and animals was bringing about his own ruin) contain muchy more truth. Many of the stories about "uncle spider" are, in fact, allegorical; they all, in the end, relay a moral.

Some halfling clerics, rather than worshipping Mongrel, instead worship Uncle Spider, respectfully repeating his tales to any who will listen. While not technically a god, halflings who are true to Uncle Spider's worship often receive spells. Most sages agree that the true source of these spells comes from Mongrel, who is greatly respected by followers of Uncle Spider.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Sounds great. I caught a typo. muchy -> much. FIFY

Wik said:
Uncle Spider
A saint of Mongrel, Uncle Spider is a mythical figure that is respected (and occasionally even worshipped) by some halflings.

There are many stories told about Uncle Spider as he travels the world. Some stories (such as how he caught the fire from a giant's breath and used it to warm a village in the north for a year) are obviously mythical, while others (such as how he taught a man that abusing his children and animals was bringing about his own ruin) contain much more truth. Many of the stories about "uncle spider" are, in fact, allegorical; they all, in the end, relay a moral.

Some halfling clerics, rather than worshipping Mongrel, instead worship Uncle Spider, respectfully repeating his tales to any who will listen. While not technically a god, halflings who are true to Uncle Spider's worship often receive spells. Most sages agree that the true source of these spells comes from Mongrel, who is greatly respected by followers of Uncle Spider.

Patlin

Explorer
Rae ArdGaoth said:
Patlin actually suggested closing the pantheon to new deities, but there was strong resistance to that idea.

Well, as I am on record as being opposed to new dieties generally, I might as well also be on record as opposing racial dieties specifically. If there is a god of travel, his hafling clerics might illuminate him as a halfling, but couldn't his other clerics of other races see him differently?

Wik

First Post
Anyone mind if I add Uncle Spider to the Wiki, as a side-version (as patlin suggested), or even Saint, or Mongrel?

Wik

First Post
Ha ha. Whoops. I kinda thought it had been approved, and all that.

Could I get some of the judges weighing in on this proposal:

1) That there is a sect of halflings who, rather than directly worship Mongrel, instead worship a halfling saint known as Uncle Spider.
2) That these halflings do not see Uncle Spider as exactly a "God", but more of a spiritual icon, and hero.

Boddynock

First Post
Although "not technically a god", I think we need to define the domains which Uncle Spider gives access to for those halfling clerics (would it only be available to halfling clerics?) who venerate him as a shining example of faithful service to Mongrel.

I like the idea but I do think we need to be a bit more rigorous in the wording of the proposal before approving it. So, would there be anything else besides domains and possibly the race of the cleric which we should be defining?

My own sense is that we say "domains as per Mongrel".

B4cchus

Explorer
Boddynock said:
Although "not technically a god", I think we need to define the domains which Uncle Spider gives access to for those halfling clerics (would it only be available to halfling clerics?) who venerate him as a shining example of faithful service to Mongrel.

I like the idea but I do think we need to be a bit more rigorous in the wording of the proposal before approving it. So, would there be anything else besides domains and possibly the race of the cleric which we should be defining?
My own sense is that we say "domains as per Mongrel".

Since uncle spider is not a god he doesn't grant any domains the way i see it. It's Mongrel who grants acces to spells and domains.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Sorry, I thought Uncle Spider was just a flavorful addition to the faith of Mongrel. Much like adding a city to the map, or putting a new NPC in your character's BG, I don't think we need approval to add a specific saint to Mongrel's faith. If we were changing the domains, yes, or restricting it to halflings, yes, or changing any rules at all, yes, we'd need judges approval, to make sure the rule was balanced. But as there are no rules being changed here, no official approval should be necessary, right?

Remove ads