Halfling God of Travel?

Wik

First Post
So, I was thinking of making a third character (roughly in time for December, when I get some more free time), and having her be a halfling cleric of a travel god.

Now, there wasn't a whole lot in the way of deities that really struck me as being worth it, so I was brainstorming adding a new demigod.

Basically, it'd be a hafling god of travel named "Uncle Spider" or something like that, and he'd be your typical halfling hero that wandered the world and did all sorts of crazy, mythical things. Not quite a god, but pretty close (and he grants domains, so I guess he's technically a god, eh?).

Favoured Domains would be Luck, Travel, and Chaos. And it'd be a god that's more or less similar to Fhalanghn. I was also thinking of writing up a feat that grants knowledge (Geography) and knowledge (local) as class skills, and grants some other minor bonus related to traveling (maybe being able to use your turn undead attempts to boost your speed for a round? I don't know).

Thoughts? Suggestions?

B4cchus

Explorer
A halfling specific God of travel strikes me as odd, at least within -my- view of halflings. I tend to see them als the tolkienian homeborrowers, not really into travelling and exploring. But that is just my personal view of the little folk.

I generic god of travel strikes me as far more interresting.

Trouvere

Explorer
Grendath is the god of luck, freedom and exploration, revered by halflings, with the Chaos and Luck domains, but not Travel.
Mongrel is the god of wanderers, with the Travel and Luck domains.
I think I remember reading somewhere that the idea of race-specific deities was generally discouraged - although there are drow and goblin mini-pantheons, so maybe not.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Trouvere said:
Grendath is the god of luck, freedom and exploration, revered by halflings, with the Chaos and Luck domains, but not Travel.
Mongrel is the god of wanderers, with the Travel and Luck domains.
I think I remember reading somewhere that the idea of race-specific deities was generally discouraged - although there are drow and goblin mini-pantheons, so maybe not.
We had the dark elven deities (and I've been trying to get rid of the word 'drow' for the most part to see if I could) before we could decide that we didn't want race-specific deities, but you are correct that we don't (and ugh! One of them had to be a 'spider queen'. Nooooooooo!) . And we do have Phyrah.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Patlin actually suggested closing the pantheon to new deities, but there was strong resistance to that idea.

That being said, I think that this god doesn't really fill any holes in the pantheon. Nor is it particularly unique. Mongrel sounds like he's right up your alley, minus the halfling focus.

As for the feat... That's a really weird feat. Are you modeling it off of anything?

Wik

First Post
The basic idea of the character is a clerical wanderer, who more or less repeats lessons that this traveling god "taught" someone in a mythical contest.

I didn't notice Mongrel earlier, and yeah, it does sound pretty close. I actually completely missed that one, when looking for something close.

This god, by the way, would be more of a "demi-god" or a "saint", than a true "Deity". It wouldn't have temples, and it would be a much more mythic character that does have a very minor religion attached to it (a la Heracles).

As for the feat, it's really just a way to put Knowledge (Geography) into the hands of a traveling cleric. Granting class skills through a feat has been done before - nameley in Eberron, I think.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Wik said:
The basic idea of the character is a clerical wanderer, who more or less repeats lessons that this traveling god "taught" someone in a mythical contest.

I didn't notice Mongrel earlier, and yeah, it does sound pretty close. I actually completely missed that one, when looking for something close.

This god, by the way, would be more of a "demi-god" or a "saint", than a true "Deity". It wouldn't have temples, and it would be a much more mythic character that does have a very minor religion attached to it (a la Heracles).

As for the feat, it's really just a way to put Knowledge (Geography) into the hands of a traveling cleric. Granting class skills through a feat has been done before - nameley in Eberron, I think.
We don't generally do it in LEW though. Also, you can get Kn: Geo by going Cloistered Cleric.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
I don't see anything wrong with making Uncle Spider a famous halfling cleric of Mongrel. There are plenty of legends of powerful people in the past (though the relative peace of the present has lowered the power level of the world significantly). I'd much rather see you introduce some flavor to an existing religion than concoct an entire new one.

Also, since it's fluff, I don't think it even needs approval. Just add it to the wiki and make a post in the Gen. Disc. thread. (Though I suppose you'd have to convince a judge to edit the Deities thread here.)

Wik

First Post
Rae ArdGaoth said:
I don't see anything wrong with making Uncle Spider a famous halfling cleric of Mongrel. There are plenty of legends of powerful people in the past (though the relative peace of the present has lowered the power level of the world significantly). I'd much rather see you introduce some flavor to an existing religion than concoct an entire new one.

Also, since it's fluff, I don't think it even needs approval. Just add it to the wiki and make a post in the Gen. Disc. thread. (Though I suppose you'd have to convince a judge to edit the Deities thread here.)

Yeah, I think I like that idea. Really, except for knowledge: geography, mongrel has everything I want, anyways.

Remove ads