Halfling Homes

Should Halflings be from the Rivers (Swamps, Marshes) or from the Hills?

• Rivers (Swamps, Marshes)

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Hills

Votes: 53 45.3%
  • Flan

Votes: 23 19.7%

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
DreamChaser said:
halflings are not hobbits

But hobbits are halflings! ;)

There's no denying that halflings originated with the hobbits. They have, however, changed considerably over time. The 3e halfling was a drastic departure from the traditional D&D halfling. Where I felt the 3e halfling suffered was from identity. It was a bit of all prior versions, yet wasn't a complete whole. So I do applaud the designers for trying to give halflings their own flavor and feel.

That being said, I think there's room enough for both visions of halflings, and perhaps more. You could have all sorts of varieties, from the traditional hobbity-halfling (hairfeet) to gypsey-like river folk (tallfellow?), polar version (furchin or frostling), and even a "kender lite" version (lightfoot).

So it stands to reason, then, that there may be all sorts of different domiciles. Hairfeet can have the traditional hobbit-hole, tallfellows might live in riverboats. Polar versions could live in igloos with round doors (polar hobbit-holes - hehe!), and the lightfoot type could live in kender-like towns.

Anyway, I think there's room enough for a variety of views. Whatever the case, this thread has given me some nifty ideas on how to present halflings in my own game. :D

and the aren't the star of Willow.

Warwick Davis. I absolutely love Willow.

FATDRAGONGAMES said:
I say hills. :D

FDG0037b.jpg

Okay, that's just cool. :D

RandomCitizenX

First Post
being from south louisiana myself I can definately relate to the concept of hobits being a boating/trade culture from rivers and swamps. Will make my older sister very happy since she has always been a fan of halflings in our d&d games.

Belorin

Explorer
DreamChaser said:
*blech* darn hobbits.

why not put them in forests and call them nelwyn or peck?

halflings are not hobbits and the aren't the star of Willow.

give me rivers!

DC
No Halflings are reformed Kender, Hobbits are the only real Halflings.

Bel

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
FATDRAGONGAMES said:
I say hills.

FDG0037b.jpg

Please excuse the shameless plug...

Everytime I see that picture, I keep hearing "Time for Teletubbies, Time for Teletubbies" in the back of my mind... :uhoh:

I guess it's okay because the interior of the teletubbies home is clearly a TARDIS.

:D

Remove ads