D&D 5E Halfling non-magical damage options in the first tier of play

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Currently I think a rogue, particularly the swashbuckler or assassin, will put out the most damage over three rounds for a non-magical halfling.

Other options - Fighter with a spear in versatile, or a rapier.

What else should I look at to be a little person who deals out damage?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Paladin can put out Smite damage on every melee hit (until they run out of spells). Just fine being a finesse weapon. In first tier can easily out-damage a rogue for a few rounds (especially if dual wielding for more chances to smite), adding 2d8 to every hit. But once they run out they wont have much to add.

Blue

I hear ya, it's hard to break the mold. I played a swashbuckling "urban paladin crimefighter" back in AD&D 2nd and love to experiment with non-archetypal paladin concepts.

famousringo

First Post
Probably because I'm old I would never consider a Halfling Paladin, and yet... that sounds fun.

With the 3rd Ed Forgotten Realms setting, halfling paladins became a thing. Made sense because the big patron goddess of halflings, Yondalla, is lawful good.

Even better, halfling paladin/monks became a thing, and had their own order. Fists of justice, baby!

Okay, back to the original question, let's break down martial damage at level 3. Let's assume STR is 14, Dex 16:

Barbarian - When raging, you can dual wield for 2d6 + STR + 4 = 13 (10 when not raging)

Fighter - Action surges are fun, but most rounds you'll get the best from dual wielding 2d6 + 2*DEX = 13 (+6.5 on a surge per short rest)

Rogue - Dual wielding 4d6 + DEX = 17 (31 on a surprise round)

Paladin - Duel wielding for 2d6 + DEX = 10 (+9 for each smite, three smites per long rest)

Monk - 1d6 + 1d4 + 2*DEX = 12 (+5.5 on a flurry, 3 times per short rest)

Ranger - Messiest for last. Dual wielding 2d6 + 2*DEX = 13 (-3 if you apply Mark, +7 if Mark is already applied, +4.5 if target is bloodied or +6.5 if adjacent foe)

Conclusions: For burst damage, assassin wins in a surprise round, paladin wins if you are able and willing to burn spell slots. But paladin lags considerably in sustained damage output, while rogue is the king (as long as advantage/adjacent ally holds up).

In fact, in a day with two short rests where smites are rationed, the fighter will have very comparable burst damage and much better sustained damage than a paladin.

I'd say the monk does even better, being only slightly behind on sustained damage compared to fighter, but being able to burst 9(!) times on a day with two short rests. Almost rogue-like in damage reliability.

Special shout out goes to ranger, with solid sustained damage, and situational damage bursts that are very efficient with resources and can rival a fighter surge, or even a smite spamming paladin, when conditions are right.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Thanks for all of that. I'm not generally one who builds based on the math. I'm looking at a city watch type halfling, and it felt odd to be a rogue, though there is some precedent within literature. I'm currently looking to go towards Battle Master for the little bit from Superiority Dice, though I think a "lawful" rogue or monk would fit the concept well.

famousringo

First Post
Thanks for all of that. I'm not generally one who builds based on the math. I'm looking at a city watch type halfling, and it felt odd to be a rogue, though there is some precedent within literature. I'm currently looking to go towards Battle Master for the little bit from Superiority Dice, though I think a "lawful" rogue or monk would fit the concept well.

Hm, medieval beat cop, eh? You'll probably want proficiency in Insight and Investigation, then. Insight is pretty easy to get, but Investigation isn't covered by the official backgrounds, and of the martial classes, only rogues and rangers have access to it.

You wouldn't be the first person who re-fluffed a ranger into an urban manhunter. Hunter's Mark will help you track down that miscreant so you always get your man. On the other hand, an open hand monk's mobility and control abilities could prevent him from getting away in the first place. Plus... tonfas!

Blue

Great breakdown [MENTION=6792445]famousringo[/MENTION]. Only comment is you're talking expected damage on hit and when you put in chance to hit it changes damage and not only in expected ways.

Barbarian using STR can get reckless attack to hit more often, but with Str lower than Dex by 1 it's not quite as good base. Still an improvement. As a side note, if not raging and not using reckless attack, the barbarian can use Dex to attack.

Rogue does their sneak attack once a turn. This means that one hit will still do 3d6 (possibly +Dex), you don't lose as half to a single miss. Good thing for rogue.

Paladin only uses smites on a hit. If you assume every other class (but rogue) loses half their damage to misses, the paladin will aways get all of their smite damage. (Well, if combat over a day doesn't go long enough to get three hits, that's a different story.)

Ranger may have an extra attack or extra damage in there from the Hunter subclass.

Fighter at 3rd will have either twice the chance for crits or superiority dice. Both will increase the damage.

Also, the math changes a lot at 5th when Extra Attack kicks in. Rogue is the only one above who doesn't get it, but they get +1d6 sneak attack. Paladin gets more smites, ranger gets more spells for Hunter's Mark.

Halfling Paladin.jpg

Remove ads