Hall of Many Panes

S'mon

Legend
Col_Pladoh said:
;)
Actually, I mention in the module that if a group is not able or interested in playing through the many scenarios in it the DM can use a goodly number of them as individual quests or parts of other adventure material he preperes.

The difficulty with this is that the scenarios seem mostly "You are/have become X, in situation Y. To progress you must solve puzzle/challenge Z" - the biggest problem for the GM is without the Panes structure, how do you make the PCs into X (the castle guards in one scenario, say, leaving acornism aside) and/or how do you get them to want to do Z if there isn't the big stick of "you must do this to complete the Pane".

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
S'mon said:
The difficulty with this is that the scenarios seem mostly "You are/have become X, in situation Y. To progress you must solve puzzle/challenge Z" - the biggest problem for the GM is without the Panes structure, how do you make the PCs into X (the castle guards in one scenario, say, leaving acornism aside) and/or how do you get them to want to do Z if there isn't the big stick of "you must do this to complete the Pane".
Those are quite soluable problems for the inventive Game Master, certainly... even the one with characters being turned into acorn-like creatures is managable. Who hasn't a potent magical entity in his campaign that can accomplish such a transformation?

Don't be such a stick in the mud :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
S'mon said:
Any usable advice welcome. :)
Let us be reasonable;)

I don't know your campaign, GMing style, or your players, so obnly very general and lengthy essays regarding the various panes could bE given...and that assuming you were playing either the LA game, OAD&D, or C&C rules.

The most direct solution is to have your players be daring and play the adventure as written.

Cheers,
Gary

JRRNeiklot

First Post
I've only read about 3/4 of the first book, but so far, I love it. My only criticisms are the mobius strip pane - it made my brain explode - and the pane where three people demand your help, but only two of the three options are detailed, the rest bein left up to the dm. I don't have a lot of time for writing my own stuff, thus the reason I buy modules*.

* Of course, if I was aun unemployed hermit living in a cave near the Keep on the Borderlands, I would still buy this one!

dcas

First Post
S'mon said:
Any usable advice welcome. :)

Step on a teleporter, get turned into an acorn.

Otherworldly entity gates the characters in, but something went wrong with the process.

Etc.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Col_Pladoh said:
You have it!

It is good to note that another gastronome can sort through the seemingly complex matter with such ease :cool:

Ciao,
Gary

My pleasure!

Thanks for continuing to share your creativity with us! I'm looking forward to both Castle Zagyg and Hall of Many Panes.
:D

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
JRRNeiklot said:
I've only read about 3/4 of the first book, but so far, I love it. My only criticisms are the mobius strip pane - it made my brain explode - and the pane where three people demand your help, but only two of the three options are detailed, the rest bein left up to the dm. I don't have a lot of time for writing my own stuff, thus the reason I buy modules*.

* Of course, if I was aun unemployed hermit living in a cave near the Keep on the Borderlands, I would still buy this one!
Well...

The fact is that my brain was twisted like a mobius strip when I came up with the scenario, and my head still aches when I recall LMing it for the group. They never did figure out that they were on a path that seemed to lead to another dimension but it was a single connected way, a dimension with only one side and one edge, only half of which could be seen at one time. So when you run the adventure fake it as necessary as I think I ended up doing :lol:

The other scenario is the one in the Bazaar, right? All three of the persons seeking out the characters should state a reason--the fat man, the beautiful woman, and the small sinister chap with the protruding eyes, right?

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Akrasia said:
My pleasure!

Thanks for continuing to share your creativity with us! I'm looking forward to both Castle Zagyg and Hall of Many Panes.
:D
The last corrections to the map for the Free Town of Yggsburgh and its environs have been sent off to Darlene, so the whole just might make GenCon Release :heh:

What is your favorite cusine? Mine is Italian (Northern preferred), then Chinese, French (excluding nouville), and then perhaps hungarian. I really enjoy much english cooking--crown roast of beef with yorkshire pudding, leg of mutton, mutton chops wrapped in bacon, steak & kidney pie (with lamb kidneys included), and a plum pudding or a trifle for desert. Good wines assumed in all cases...

Cheers,
Gary

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Well...

The fact is that my brain was twisted like a mobius strip when I came up with the scenario, and my head still aches when I recall LMing it for the group. They never did figure out that they were on a path that seemed to lead to another dimension but it was a single connected way, a dimension with only one side and one edge, only half of which could be seen at one time. So when you run the adventure fake it as necessary as I think I ended up doing :lol:

The other scenario is the one in the Bazaar, right? All three of the persons seeking out the characters should state a reason--the fat man, the beautiful woman, and the small sinister chap with the protruding eyes, right?

Cheers,
Gary

Yep, that's the one.

Remove ads