Hall of Many Panes

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
Hi guys,

To answer Erik Mona's question, the text of the game was written solely by Gary for the Lejendary Adventure game system. Jon solely worked on the initial d20 conversion. My main role was to (a) check the rules for problems and SRD compliance, (b) rename all the "name" spells when they were removed from the SRD and (c) Update for 3.5 compliance when the Trolls decided it had to be a 3.5 release. I think this adventure first was on paper in 2001 or 2002, so it's been a long time coming. I also decided that new monsters, treasures, etc, should be put in appendixes and some LA specific definitions should be defined.

When I edited the stat blocks, all I did was check for compliance--making sure Jon didn't reference anything outside what the SRD covered, renaming the overloved Melf's Acid Arrow spell to acid arrow. The 3.5 conversion was a lot tougher--I only completed about 70% of it and let the trolls do the rest. (I emphasize, at least on my part--this was a volunteer effort, and I was starting to suffer from health problems at the time). That was a tedious effort, one I would not repeat.

For various reasons, Jon wasn't available at the time I was doing the 3.5 conversion. There may have been some weird judgements in monsters, or some accidental power problems with the translations--Jon used demons in the orignal conversion, but the demons seemed to get more powerful with 3.5.

Conversions from one game system to another are pretty hit or miss sometimes.

I wasn't exactly sure if EL can be used in an SRD only adventure, and some of Gary's scenarios didn't really fit Wizard's way of measuring that. Gary's stuff can be an acquired taste--his scenarios tend towards having the players figure out puzzles. Perhaps it should have been a C&C adventure, but I think this thing took almost 4 years to go from original Gygax manuscript to what you see today.

If you're disappointed with this, I think you might instead like Yggsburg. It will be C&C, but unless they change something with the editing, Gary's stats are similar to G1,G2,G3, actually keeping stat blocks out and instead just provding level and hp. It will probably require less work to convert. (But a few things might be--it's old school enough that an old Black Dragon only has about 77 hp! Wow. ;-)) Gary puts as much detail in a small area of land as you'd sometimes get in a campaign boxed set.

Last edited:

thundershot

Adventurer
*digs up this thread instead of making an old one*

This has probably been answered somewhere, but I started running this the other night, and the book refers to a "cheat sheet" to check off after you complete a pane.

I flipped through the map pages and the books, and found no such animal. Is there a pdf or something that I'm missing?

So far, so good.... I just had to adjust a few things for my own group, but it's going good.

Thanks
Chris

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
thundershot said:
*digs up this thread instead of making an old one*

This has probably been answered somewhere, but I started running this the other night, and the book refers to a "cheat sheet" to check off after you complete a pane.

I flipped through the map pages and the books, and found no such animal. Is there a pdf or something that I'm missing?

So far, so good.... I just had to adjust a few things for my own group, but it's going good.

Thanks
Chris
The Trolls lost my separate file on the "Cheat Sheet"--which I sent in late, and I have reminded them about it several times. I believe they plan to put it up as a free download, include it in the boxed set soon, but I'll have them respond here;)

Cheers,
Gary

zenopus

Doomed Wizard
*bump*

It's weird to be posting after a Gary post from 2005, but I thought this thread was a more relevant place to post than starting a new one.

Anyway - after all these years, I just got a copy of Hall of Many Panes for the first time. I was most interested in the oldschool dungeon level contained therein (Pane 8).

In this blog post, I take a look at the common design elements between this level and Gary's other dungeons from the 1970s.

http://zenopusarchives.blogspot.com/2017/12/gygaxs-dungeon-level-from-hall-of-many.html

Remove ads