Hall of Many Panes

S'mon

Legend
I do wonder if the art b*lls-up may have soured my initial impression. Maybe if Troll Lords were to respond to my email requesting the bound art book... (hint, hint) ;)

glass

(he, him)
DaveMage said:
So the key is to have Gary Gygax be the GM!

Wasn't that suposed to be the case with Everway too? It'd have been a massive success if they could just have found a way to package Johnathon into each box! :D

glass.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
I'm looking forward to picking this up in the near future. :)

With respect to some of S'mon's comments, I think that if the GM makes the nature of the module very clear to players up front (viz. that it will test their wits as players, and not the mechanics of their PCs), and they are fine with that, then it should be a lot of fun.

If I run this mega-module, I think it will be with Castle Zagyg (using C&C) for a full-blown 'Gygaxian' ('Zagygian') campaign.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Akrasia said:

With respect to some of S'mon's comments, I think that if the GM makes the nature of the module very clear to players up front (viz. that it will test their wits as players, and not the mechanics of their PCs), and they are fine with that, then it should be a lot of fun.

If I run this mega-module, I think it will be with Castle Zagyg (using C&C) for a full-blown 'Gygaxian' ('Zagygian') campaign.
You have it!

It is good to note that another gastronome can sort through the seemingly complex matter with such ease :cool:

Ciao,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Steverooo said:
HA! You DID "rush right over", Old Troll! :p :lol:
Errr... :uhoh:

Well, maybe not "rush," but I did come to this thread sooner that I had planned. There was a link to it on the Pied Piper boards, and so I followed that, read, saw Noj's posts, and thought one or two of mine own were in order.

This sort of thing keeps me from feeling guilty for not doing creative work, don't you know :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

S'mon

Legend
Akrasia said:

Yes! I'm not saying "Don't buy this module"! I think it could work well if the players are informed of and up for a certain kind of play experience. I don't think it feels like a 3e module at all, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I personally have more of a problem with it being a puzzle/problem-solving module, rather than a simulationist module, in that I guess I was expecting more "here are umpteen different worlds, what do your PCs do?" rather than "here is today's puzzle/problem, how do you (the players) solve it?". So I was hoping for 'real' worlds, with possibility for re-visiting some, maybe interaction between the different worlds, that kind of thing. The module isn't set up to support this.

I do definitely think the GM needs to think carefully about it.
1. As mentioned above, don't expect to be able to just read out the read-aloud paragraphs, you will need to go over them yourself and restructure them into manageable chunks, probably discarding some bits.
2. You may not want to run all the Panes. As written, the scenario requires solving all the Panes to complete. It would be extremely easy to change this requirement though, by through solving a particular formulation of colours & shapes enabling completion.

Mystery Man

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
And here I was concerned that i had put in too many boring H&S encounters... :confused:

Heh,
Gary

I'm probably going to end up buying it. :) How modular would you say it is? Say if I wanted to take chunks of it out here and there to run between other parts of another ongoing campaign?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
;)
Mystery Man said:
I'm probably going to end up buying it. :) How modular would you say it is? Say if I wanted to take chunks of it out here and there to run between other parts of another ongoing campaign?
Actually, I mention in the module that if a group is not able or interested in playing through the many scenarios in it the DM can use a goodly number of them as individual quests or parts of other adventure material he preperes. However...

The work is best used as a whole, even if it challenges the players, stretches their capacities and forces them to think when they don't want to--typical of some young players and most avid participants of MMPs online.

When my group finished it they were elated, as if they had just completed trainig for the SEALS or the like.

Anyway, read through before reaching any conclusions ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Remove ads