• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Handheld Database Options

talmar

First Post
I develop a lot of databases for my company, as well as personally. I am in the market for a handheld. I don't really care whether I use PalmOS or WindowsCE. I am however most interested in some kind of database program/utility to run on my handheld that will sync with my databases. I develop using Access and SQL.

Are there any good handheld database programs/utilities out there? Like I said, the database program will probably drive which OS I purchase. I know most handhelds will be able to work with word and excel and with Intellisync I can sync with my groupwise email system. All handhelds have phone and address and to do and such. Mobilizing my databases is the real reason I want a handheld.

Thanks for any and all help.

reanjr

First Post
talmar said:
I develop a lot of databases for my company, as well as personally. I am in the market for a handheld. I don't really care whether I use PalmOS or WindowsCE. I am however most interested in some kind of database program/utility to run on my handheld that will sync with my databases. I develop using Access and SQL.

Are there any good handheld database programs/utilities out there? Like I said, the database program will probably drive which OS I purchase. I know most handhelds will be able to work with word and excel and with Intellisync I can sync with my groupwise email system. All handhelds have phone and address and to do and such. Mobilizing my databases is the real reason I want a handheld.

Thanks for any and all help.

You may want to check out MS SQL Server CE (for Windows CE of course).

Free download if you have a license of Embedded Visual C++ 4.0 or Embedded Visual Tools 3.0. And, as far as I can tell, Embedded Visual Tools 3.0 is also free.

SQL Server CE More Info
Embedded Visual Tools 3.0 More Info

Fast Learner

First Post
Intellisync is a Microsoft-only thing, so you'll need to buy a PocketPC if you're planning on using it with work stuff.

Intellisync converts Access databases automatically, but it doesn't provide a user interface on the PPC... it just makes them readable by other stuff on the PPC. There are a couple of generic apps out there that read and write to these databases, but it's been a while since I've looked at them so I don't know what's good.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads