Hands of Fate - Chapter 1 - The Orbs of Insight

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Hands of Fate

The current times have been quiet for the most part. It has been a long time since the name of Maximo Stonefist had been heard, other than wild stories of adventures and monsters. He has long since given up the brave life of adventuring and has been rumored to be living in a city by the name of Springside. Springside is a city that dwells in a lower valley beneath some mountains. It has always been a nice town, with the occasional chance for adventure popping up here and there. Many adventurers have made it their goal to make it to Springside, meet with Maximo, and learn all that they can from him. His teachings have been known to prove many adventurers as heroes in their own right. This is your destiny and your first decision is to make it to Springside.

The roads in this part of the country used to be numerous, with merchant caravans wandering around, from town to town. Unfortunately, Springside is somewhat cut off from most of the other routes, due to the mountains that guard it’s eastern and northern sides. The rest of the countryside is dense forest. Small rivers and creeks are sparse, and many wild animals roam the forest. The western edge of Springside is where the main road meets its gates. The roads frequently held many people traveling to this town for various supplies, aid for nearby villages, or the wandering adventurer looking for a quest to fulfill. It is a dirt road, with no cobblestones. Wagon tracks are very rare now these days, as times have changed. The southern edge of town opens into the large Valley of Draken. The valley is not desolate, and there are patches of hills, small groves of trees, and many scattered rock patterns. The mountains continue to border this valley to the east and dark skies have always clouded the upper region of the mountains. Blacktongue Mountain is the famous mountain that usually frequents most stories of Maximo. His greatest adventure was assisting in the slaying of a great dragon that loomed over the valley many years ago. The valley was in dire need of saving, and he, along with a group of able-bodied souls, set out and destroyed the dragon. Since then, the valley has had peace, or so it would seem. You can make your way to town via this valley, but it is usually deemed as a secondary route. You have each been sought out from your home and received a letter from Maximo Stonefist.

Each of your characters suddenly is approached by a hooded figure. It is small, a little over 3 feet high, but obviously not a child. He asks your names, and when you respond, he sighs. It appears that he has been traveling for some time to reach you. He takes out a parchment, and proceeds to mark on it. He then reaches into his cloak, and hands you a sealed envelope. Two large initials of MS mark the seal. Upon opening the envelope, you notice that the hooded figure has disappeared. You frantically search the area, but he is nowhere to be found. Upon opening the envelope, a small card falls out. It is dark red, with the only a number on it. The accompanying letter reads as follows:

"Dear potential student,

You may or may not know of who I am, so I will begin with an introduction. My name is Maximo Stonefist. I am the current master of the Academy of Stone, in the city of Springside. I am a teacher of sorts, dealing with the training of mind and body for quests of great note. I cannot reveal as to how your name is on this list or why you have received this letter, other than it is a matter of great secrecy that can only be revealed in person. I am requesting an audience with you, and if that goes well, you will begin your studies immediately. Please make your way to the city of Springside by sundown of the next new moon. Please do not discuss this matter with anyone. Please bring the enclosed card to my training grounds for further information.

Regards,

Maximo Stonefist - Master Teacher"

You now have a few days to make your way to this city and meet this Maximo Stonefist. Your new life awaits you, if you choose to take it.

Last edited:

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Kevin was stopped just before he went inside by a small hooded person that asked his name. When he told him the stranger handed him an envelope. The card in the envelope talked about some Stonefist man and a school. Kevin showed the card to Jonathan who got a strange look in his eye. Jonathan said his training was over and that he should go to see Stonefist.

With your newly acquired card, and your pack ready to go, Jonathan bids you well. With a look in his eyes that you are not sure of, he only says, "Maximo is not one to ignore. He commands the greatest respect, and his heart is true. Listen to him and show him what you are made of. You have a long journey, as Springside is a ways off."

He waits for you to finish packing, and when you are set, he approaches you, and hand you something very small. A ring. The ornaments on the ring are not very fashionable, but you do notice an inscription on the side that you can not read, as it is in a language foreign to you. "This may come in handy, and though it is not much, you may still need it. It will help you when needed, and Maximo can tell you it's purpose if you ask." (Rolled 7 on Appraise)

Setting out into the new day, you head south, towards the city of Springside. It will be a long journey, a full 8 days, and there is much to think about on your way. On the morning of the 8th day, you wake up in the small village of Bretonshire. Since your journey began, you have managed to get a few stories of Maximo in various towns where you stayed. He is known for slaying a great dragon, that threatened the region some 30 years ago. He now has gained enough fortune to start his academy, and train future heroes to look after the lands.

You wake early, hoping to arrive at the city gates quickly, and before sunset. The journey is quiet, and there are very few people to cross on your road to Springside heading east now, as you rounded the mountains about a day and a half ago. As you near the end of the day, you see the gates. Their stature is great, standing at least 20 feet tall, and flanked by sentry towers standing another 10 feet higher. With a quickened step you near the gates when to your amazement, the short hooded figure that delivered your letter only 8 days ago, is suddenly sitting on a large rock, to the north side of the road. You could swear he wasn't there a minute ago.

"Ah, so it seems as though you are the first to arrive! Come, sit, we must wait for the others." With a motion to sit near the rock, the figure keeps his hood on, and whittles away at a piece of wood.

Last edited:

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
In the past week, however, Belvar received a letter from Maximo Stonefist in Springside, a town he had been to just once. Having heard of the legends of Stonefist's academy and his title as dragonslayer, Belvar took the invitation as an obligation not only to Stonefist, but to Farlanghn himself. And so, with walking stick in hand, he sets out on the road to Springside.

The morning of the 10th day, after saying a quick prayer, he is suddenly startled by the sound of a hawk flapping it's wings directly above him. The hawk just stares at him, and flies away, eastward. With a chuckle, he sets out on his last days walk. Nearing the gates, however, he spies a pair of figures near the side of the road. It is about an hour before the sun begins to set, and it has been a long journey indeed, with the 10 days walk. As he walks the road, he recognizes the hooded figure as the one that delivered the letter to him. The hooded figure is sitting, whittling away at a piece of wood, and the other figure, a human male, is just beginning to put his things down and take a seat.

"Good, good. It looks like we are now only waiting on 4 more. They should be along shortly. Sit and rest. You can not go further until they arrive." The hooded figure sits and continues his task of carving at the wood.

OOC - It seems as though you two are the first to arrive, and may go about doing anything you would like to do while waiting for the others to arrive.

Last edited:

Awakened

First Post
Belvar's walking stick pierces the surface of the mud as he takes in the scene with a cold stare. After several heartbeats, he nods his head slightly to the hooded figure and perches himself upon a rock, taking care to prop his staff up so it doesn't fall. As Belvar stares at the marvelous statue, he extends his hand to the other traveler.
"I am Belvar, third son of the fourth generation of Clan Zosenheim, humble cleric of Farlanghn and Searcher for the True Path. Weary traveler, may I ask for your name?"
Belvars eyes keep to the statue unflinchingly.

OOC: I can reroll one roll per day as long as I don't see the result. If you're going to roll for us, what should I do about that ability?

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Awakened said:
Belvar's walking stick pierces the surface of the mud as he takes in the scene with a cold stare. After several heartbeats, he nods his head slightly to the hooded figure and perches himself upon a rock, taking care to prop his staff up so it doesn't fall. As Belvar stares at the marvelous statue, he extends his hand to the other traveler.
"I am Belvar, third son of the fourth generation of Clan Zosenheim, humble cleric of Farlanghn and Searcher for the True Path. Weary traveler, may I ask for your name?"
Belvars eyes keep to the statue unflinchingly.

OOC: I can reroll one roll per day as long as I don't see the result. If you're going to roll for us, what should I do about that ability?
The hooded figure, pausing for a second, only seems to glance at you, and the human, then turns to continue his previous task of carving the piece of wood. He seems to be content with just sitting and waiting.

OOC - Not sure what statue you are referring to. The piece of wood he is whittling at is fist sized, if that is what you mean. As for the re-roll, I would say that you do indeed get a free re-roll, but in tha case of it's daily use, I might have you note in the posting that if you fail a certain check, such as attack, save, spot, search, then you would like to re-roll it. This might get a little difficult, but it would go something like this:

Seeing the hooded figure on the side of the road, Belvar sits down, and peers into the woods, trying to spot anything he may have missed. He will greet the human, and tell his name. Trying to intimidate his actions, he will tell him that he is not one to mess with.

This posting has 2 cahnces for rolls. One for the spot check, and one for the Intimidate. If you were to want to try and use the re-roll, after the posting, please put an OOC text saying, "If he fails his Intimidate check, use his re-roll". This would allow you to re-roll the Intimidate check, with me having to roll twice, disregarding the first roll IF HE FAILED. I would not re-roll if he passed, and you would then keep your re-roll for that day until a time arose when it was used. The Spot check would not even be considered for this re-roll, as you would onyl state one check to possibly be re-rolled.

Does this make sense?

Awakened

First Post
Belvar decides to wait in silence for a response, but instead turns his attention to the wooden carving the traveler is working with. Belvar admires his skill, and, after a lengthy period of silence, he speaks again.
"You have skilled hands, traveler. What is it that you carve?"

OOC: "Their stature is great, standing at least 20 feet tall" somehow I misread this. Instead, he was staring at the marvelous GATE. I understand what you're saying, thanks.

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Awakened said:
Belvar decides to wait in silence for a response, but instead turns his attention to the wooden carving the traveler is working with. Belvar admires his skill, and, after a lengthy period of silence, he speaks again.
"You have skilled hands, traveler. What is it that you carve?"
The traveler, not really paying much attention to you, continues to carve away. You can see that he is deep in thought, and the knife slices over the wood with great speed and at an alarming speed. From your point of view, you can barely make out that he must have barely started, as the shape is rough, and looks somewhat like a circular figurine.

You can make out that the travellers shoes are made of leather, yet very well taken care of and seemingly too clean for being outdoors. With the patches of mud from recent rain, you do not see any footprints coming from the direction of Springside. You can only see those of the human. (Rolled 17 Spot, so I gave a little more info...)

The travellers robes are dark brown, and tied at the waist with a golden band. He keeps his hood on, and that prevents you from seeing his face or any other facial features. His hands do not show of any ornaments such as rings, but they seem very capable of hard work, as you see their tendons working in unison with his knife. The knife is a carving knife of sorts, with no real distinct characteristics, except that the blade seems to slice through the wood with reat ease. Almost like slicing through butter.

Awakened

First Post
Belvar begins to feel uncomfortable and begins to search through his hazy memories of the lands he's traveled to, trying to find something that would catch the traveler's attention. After a moment of thought, he abandons the conversation all together and approaches the human male on the ground.
"Hail, good fellow." Belvar says, and then more quitely, "Our host seems to be quite the entertainer. The road and travel are sacred, but one can become lonely on such an embarkment." Belvar draws his axe and rests it on the ground, leaning on the flat side of the blade. "Could I find an explanation of this place or at least a word of goodwill from you, m'lad?"

Drakknyte32

First Post
The young human looks at the dwarf and swallows something he had been chewing.

"Sorry for not replying dwarf, but that was the last piece of flavored jerky I had, and I wanted to savor it's taste for a bit longer."

He stands up and offers the dwarf a scarred and callused hand.

"My name is Kevin Hill. I'm the apprentice of Jonathan ChainSlayer. Or at least I was, it appears I am to have a new teacher now."

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Darius, waking in the morning, having travelled a long ways in your previous days, took it upon himself to make camp just southwest of Bretonshire, which is almost a full days walk west from Springside. He could have made the town, but it was late, and he found a small clearing that could provide a little safe rest for him. Not encountering anyone on his trek through his 'shortcut' through the forest, he did not seem to mind the night outdoors. Maybe it reminded him of old times, but who knows. All that matters is that he knows he will arrive in Springside this evening.

Travelling northeast for about an hour, he finally sees the receding treeline, and the main road leading to Springside. Having come out of the forest east of Bretonshire, he can clearly see the houses to the left, and where the town begins, but he heads east, to his destination. Having travelled for a few hours, not wanting to stop often, he begins to see a figure in the distance, walking in the same direction as he is. All he can make out is that it is human-sized and keeping pretty much the same pace as he is. It is behind him, seemingly coming from Bretonshire, and gaining little by little.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gray Sparrow, having awaken to the sounds of movement, rises suddenly, looking around quickly. Then she remembers. She is not in the temple anymore, and her life is now in her hands to carry out as she pleases. The small path, leading to a town called Bretonshire, was long and arduous from the previous night. She was glad to find that even though she would not reach Bretonshire by nightfall, she indeed found she was not alone. A small cart, with a group of 4 halfings and a half-ogre, was beginning to make camp for the night, and invited her to share their fire. Reluctant at first, she hisitated, but then realized that they seemed like honest folk. She decided that she would stay, and spent the night there. Now, the halflings and the half-ogre, seemingly trying to be quiet, woke her. The half-ogre was trying to walk around silently, but his movements and size were just not coordinated enough to keep as silent as he would have liked. As the morning sun rose, she shared a meal with the halflings, and learned that they knew of tales of Maximo. They told of the Black Mountains, where vile creatures were rumored to be still living. They warned Gray Sparrow to be careful if she ever enters the mountains, as monsters were sure to be here and there. They gave her a ride to Bretonshire, where she bid them farewell and headed east on the main road. After a few hours of walking, with a hustle in her step as she neared her destination, she could see a figure in the distance, ahead of her. It seemed as though it was travelling alone, and at the same speed as she was. After another 30 mintues or so, she found that she was indeed gaining on it and would catch up before too long.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Drakknyte32 said:
The young human looks at the dwarf and swallows something he had been chewing.

"Sorry for not replying dwarf, but that was the last piece of flavored jerky I had, and I wanted to savor it's taste for a bit longer."

He stands up and offers the dwarf a scarred and callused hand.

"My name is Kevin Hill. I'm the apprentice of Jonathan ChainSlayer. Or at least I was, it appears I am to have a new teacher now."
[Spot checks - 15 and 17 succeed for both] When the name of Jonathan Chainslayer is mentioned, you notice that the figure carving slows his process, and seems intent on listening more to your words, as his strokes slow down.

Remove ads