Hanukkah D&D Campaign

diaglo

Adventurer
lior_shapira said:
The miracle with the oil can probably isn't historically accurate but its really fitting to a d&d session :) when they got the temple back they wanted to light a mennorah but they only found a small can of oil that should have lasted for one day. But miraculously it lasted for 8 days and that's why Hannukah is 8 days long, each day you add one more candle.

lior
or you can do it in reverse to symbolize the dwindling of the oil reserve in the tradition of Rabbi Shem (something sp?)

diaglo "who is not jewish but celebrates with his friends" Ooi

i would've suggested Testament too.

Tinner

First Post
Here's another vote for Testament.
This is a great idea for a family bonding activity, as well as a great teaching tool.
I'm not Jewish, but I have used Testament in my church to teach some history-type material to my youth group. It's an excellent game.

HalWhitewyrm

First Post
Elephant, as an observant Jew and a gamer, I think this is an excellent idea. Create your own family tradition for Hannukah and you'll ensure that the holiday takes on a new meaning for all involved.

I will go ahead and toss in another vote for Testament. It is simply the best toolkit for what you are looking to do, and can lead into further adventures using the same setting (hint: look at my sig, below ;) ). In fact, I'd be greatly interested to know how it turns out; one of the things I would like to work on this coming year is a series of holiday-related scenarios, such as a Chanukah series in which the PCs are part of the rebel band under Judah Maccabbee.

Good luck with your game.

PS: The miracle of the oil lasting eight days is at the center of the celebration, and the reason for lighting the eight candles in the first place (though you are also absolutely correct about the post-dated Sukkot celebration). Whether it is historically accurate or not is not really the point; it should play a big part in the story as you set up your game.

the Jester

Legend
I love this idea. I haven't actually seen Testament, but I've heard nothing but good about it. I think it would be a cool holiday tradition to start (speaking as a non-Jew who often celebrates Channukah by whatever spelling with Jewish friends).

Hannukhah is fun. :)

William Ronald

Explorer
diaglo said:
or you can do it in reverse to symbolize the dwindling of the oil reserve in the tradition of Rabbi Shem (something sp?)

diaglo "who is not jewish but celebrates with his friends" Ooi

i would've suggested Testament too.

I believe you are referring to the controversy between Rabbi Shammai and Rabbi Hillel. They are known for disagreeing and debating, much like our EN World board members. However, Hillel insisted that his students study Shammai's teachings as they too contained an element of truth. (Hillel himself is someone whom you can base an NPC or PC on. He started out as a day laborer before his keen intellect was noted by people at the Second Temple.)

Obviously, there are hazards in doing anything based on religion or history in gaming. Yet it can be fun and a useful teaching tool. (Indeed, one of the most important skills for students to gain is to understand how others feel and how they view the world around them. I have seen role playing and drama used to good effect in literature classes to help students understand a text.)

Ceresco

First Post
I'm a Jew. I approve. I reiterate the use of Testament to play this mini-campaign. I'd suggest emailing Daniel PErez at High Moon Studios. He's orthodox and may be interested in the idea.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
The 2E historical setting supplements from TSR had books on ancient Greece and Rome that are useful for information on those periods, they may be helpful in depicting the Greco-Syrian enemies that the Maccabees had to fight against. As a Jew I found the repeated mention of my people in that series of supplements without any rules to back them up infuriating, but they were still dense with good information about the goys of the time...

Remove ads