Harassment in gaming

Obryn

Hero
Yes, no, and maybe. I'm sure a lot of the complaints are legitimate. I'm sure some are real, but embellished (still bad, obviously). I'm sure some aren't real, and are just the result of people over reacting. And I'm sure are a few are just plain made up.

One of the issues facing us, or at least the more skeptical of us, is that we're dealing mostly with anecdotal evidence. Worse, much of the anecdotal evidence is anonymous. There's a reason why our legal system allows us to face our accusers. Yes, sometimes it can be very hard for the victim, but never-the-less is of great importance to accurately determining exactly what's going on. I do wonder how many of these stories could be dispelled if the other party was aware of the accusations being made and could offer up their side of the story. It very well could be zero, perhaps 100% were accurately reported. Or, perhaps, some aren't what they appear to be. Also, what portion of the overall interactions within our community are like this? Is it any more than what the average person experiences in the average Western society? Don't get me wrong, one incident is too much, but if for this to be a problem specifically facing our hobby one would assume that its some degree worse than what society is as a whole.
All evidence is that, yes, there is a specific problem in the gaming/fantasy/anime/etc. fandom. Nerd hobbies, so to speak. Look up 'cosplay is not consent' for example.

The 'facing your accusers' bit is fine if you're the accused and you're in court. That's not what's going on here, unless you are the one specifically being accused of something. Which as far as I can tell you aren't.

It's also weird to demand this amount of evidence about personal experiences. I mean, it seems like 'women describing harassment' gets placed under a certain very special sort of scrutiny that is otherwise reserved for actual criminal cases in a court rather than a discussion online. I mean, if I said, "I went to Gen Con and my wallet got stolen," you're not going to go around and demand I show the police reports.

Then there's another angle entirely, does it really matter? Do games have an effect on real life? If not, then is it really an issue we should concern ourselves with as much as we currently are?
Well, it's definitely a big enough deal that the women it's affecting say it's a big deal. The fact that it's not a big deal to you doesn't mean that you get to shut down the discussion.

Taneras

First Post
All evidence is that, yes, there is a specific problem in the gaming/fantasy/anime/etc. fandom. Nerd hobbies, so to speak. Look up 'cosplay is not consent' for example.

All we have is anecdotal evidence, and we have that pointing in two different directions. Some people say that they see it a lot and that its rampant, and some people say that they rarely see it and its about on par with what other groups experience.

I think its very disingenuous to pretend that all the evidence is pointing one way or another. There aren't any statistics backing this up, all we have are people discussing what they themselves have personally experienced.

I'd also like to add that I have a wide variety of interests that I'm heavily involved in (cars, games, fishing, religion/philosophy, football, music, etc.) - I have a great job and have a lot of free time ;) Unfortunately I've seen this same line in many of the hobbies I participate in. Not to derail this conversation, while I have opinions on religion I'm perfectly tolerant on peaceful people's views, but go look at atheism and "atheism+". A lot of other groups are all of a sudden having these same sorts of issues.

The 'facing your accusers' bit is fine if you're the accused and you're in court. That's not what's going on here, unless you are the one specifically being accused of something. Which as far as I can tell you aren't.

There's a reason why its done in court, its not some value that was arbitrarily plucked out of the air.

It's also weird to demand this amount of evidence about personal experiences. I mean, it seems like 'women describing harassment' gets placed under a certain very special sort of scrutiny that is otherwise reserved for actual criminal cases in a court rather than a discussion online. I mean, if I said, "I went to Gen Con and my wallet got stolen," you're not going to go around and demand I show the police reports.

Do you think if the roles were reversed, and you had men claiming that women were groping them at these events, that you'd have the entire community just nodding their heads in agreement that of course this happened just as they stated? Again I'm not in the crowd that says this never happens. I think it does, but I'm merely asking to what extent?

Well, it's definitely a big enough deal that the women it's affecting say it's a big deal. The fact that it's not a big deal to you doesn't mean that you get to shut down the discussion.

If there are no objective societal ills coming from sexism in games (even if we assume that all claims of sexism are actually instances of sexism), what makes this different from me not liking green beans? Without objective harm this seems to come down to just a difference in tastes. If this is just a difference in tastes get in line because I'm a mustang fan and I think camaros are ugly :p and that's a really big issue that's facing our society that we need to be made aware of!

Last edited:

MechaPilot

Explorer
But I admit I'm a bit troubled by a hard and firm rule that captives never get raped, because rape is unfortunately a pretty likely result of capture - particularly for women - but for men as well in many cases. And while I have no desire to play out such a scenario, it feels a bit odd to overlook the possibility, and a great many stories - both fictional and taken from history - involve rape or the threat of it.

/snip

Now, as I said, I've never felt the need to explore any of this in an RPG meant for fun, and if I did, I'd try to handle it sensitively - by suggestion, with "fade to black" - and not graphically. But I'm a bit troubled by a hard and fast "no rape in your content rule", because I try to run games that work as more than just games and have - I'd like to think - some literary or philosophical heft to them at times.

I don't feel that the reality of a thing is any kind of valid reason for it not being desirable to bar that thing from a game. There are a LOT of realities that games and gamers gloss over for the sake of simplicity, fun, and overall personal levels of comfort at the table:

1) Having to urinate and defecate is a reality: as a DM I don't make my PCs tell me the intricacies of how they are evacuating their waste.

2) The general inability for different species to interbreed is a reality: as a DM I have no problem allowing half-elves and half-orcs.

3) Getting a severe infection from a scratch because of a medieval understanding of hygene and medicine is a reality: as a DM I don't make my players roll for infection checks every time they get cut.

4) VD and pregnancy are realities for sexually active characters: as a DM I don't care to make or force VD checks when a PC spends some downtime at a brothel, and I don't make pregnancy an issue for sexually active female characters unless the player says she's interested in having her character become pregnant.

5) Dental problems are a reality: as a DM, I don't enforce checks for cavities, gingivitis, etc. or give the PCs bad breath if they don't tell me they somehow brush their teeth and/or gargle (with whiskey I guess. I don't really know what they'd use. I have heard that urine was actually used as a teeth whitener in ancient times. Which. Ew.).

Etc.

On the other hand, I even more back such a rule for Conventions and Gaming Stores than I would a no harassment policy. There are some subjects that do not need to be raised in public society amongst strangers, and there ought to be a reasonable assumption that - for lack of a better term - gaming tables will adhere to a "PG-13" standard during Conventions. To my mind, that just should be a hard no violations rule, and certainly if I was running one I'd insist on, not merely because of my own sense of right and wrong - but it just seems a good way to avoid litigation and bad publicity.

That sounds sensible to me.

I don't know much about the rules of "feminism" of the nth wave, but it seems to me that it ought to be enough to try to respect everyone in the room. So, as actually happened, if one of my players has a family member die IRL, and they say to me, "You know, right now, the plot line we've been having with my character's father just is too intense. I don't think I can handle it right now.", then of course I put the plot on hold until they are ready.

I don't know much about the different waves of feminism. I call myself, and am, an old-school feminist because I follow the original feminist ideal of all genders being equal under the law. I've heard about some extremists who call themselves feminists, and I refuse to acknowledge them. I'm not going to abandon our word to extremists who claim solidarity with us but pervert our core belief because they want special treatment or are overly sensitive to things like the leaked Joker-Harley slap picture (it's okay if the Joker slaps Harley. The Joker is not supposed to be a role model. He's a cool villain, but he is a vile character not worthy of emulating or aspiring to be).

I also applaud the sensitivity you said you would show in your example about the death of a family member.

I literally can't imagine what a GM was thinking that was so insensitive to not pick up on your distress and change the scene. It is just appallingly rude. The whole scene you describe has to get pushed out into my, "Does not compute." mental space just to keep my famously Spock like circuits from frying. Every time I try to contemplate what you described in your horror story, it makes me go, "Who are these people?" What rock did you kick over to find such a group?

I feel very certain that GM did pick up on my distress: I truly don't believe I could have hid it had I even be inclined to try, which I was not. I was white as a sheet as he described my character's clothes being cut off her, and I was literally shaking with fear (and then with rage) until I grabbed by things and fled.

As for where I found that group, through my local FLGS, which I never went back to again either. I didn't want to run into that DM or those other players there, and I didn't want to go back there in case they had shared the story with the staff (who I also didn't know personally, and who may have thought that group was entirely in the right for all I know).

The only reason I'd go to a different thread is that I feel that the essayist doesn't start this conversation in a very good place, and its distracting from any actual learning taking place.

If you want to start a new thread, go ahead. I'll copy my relevant posts over to it.

I'd like to say this was a humorous story of a player's immaturity and stupidity, but I suppose if you encounter that sort of stupidity often enough, like anything it stops being funny.

Well, I'm a woman. I've seen my share of menstrual humor from comediennes and other sources, and it's not all that offensive. The most offensive part was after the session when the player tried to get me to back him up about how he portrayed the character during her time of the month. He seemed to legitimately think a woman is a kind of monthly ticking time bomb.

For example, as a personal matter, I cringe whenever a stranger observes "Your really smart" or some similar thing. I know the person isn't trying to be hideously insensitive and I know they don't know what they are saying, but to me they might as well called me an SOB. It still hurts. And they aren't even throwing a lens or frame on me that would normally be taken as negative or denigrating.

I don't personally get that, but I also don't like when people say that to me. I am relatively well educated (ABA, ALA, BAC, all summa cum laude, and currently carrying a 3.90 in my MST program), however I am fortunate in that I have extra time to invest in studying. I live with my elderly father, we help each other out, and one of the benefits of that is that I only have to work part time to support myself while attending school. With no children, and no romantic life in sight, I can devote extra time to study to get the high marks that I've earned. I'm positive there are several people at school who have commented about my being smart, or even a genius in a few cases, who could do just as well if they had the time that I have to devote to studying.

I have had only one case of what we normally think of as rape occurring at my table, and it involved a female player using a male PC to rape the female PC of a female player. And oddly, they laughed all the way through the scene.

I have to say that I would have walked out on that scene. I don't get at all what they would have found funny about that. Of course, I also don't get the appeal that NC erotica has for some folks either.

If there was anything I would want anyone to take away from this, it is that I'm far less confident making assertions about this than many people in the thread seem to be. And I am genuinely curious about how other people view this, if for no other reason that I try very hard to be a skillful GM. I don't really even know if this discussion itself has left the bounds of good taste, or if I'm being a bit to frank about a subject that needs a more private forum. If this is too much, let me know, as I don't even know how much consent I need to discuss this sort of issue. My problem with the idea of a set of "Harassment Rules" for gaming in public spaces, is not so much that I oppose the idea, but I think it likely to be both more problematic to enforce and more likely to go wrong, then a set of "Decency Rules" requiring play to adhere to something like the Comic Code or a "PG-13" or some sort of standard where inflammatory topics were just assumed to be off-limits at least when in the public space. But in private spaces, I'm not really confident exactly where the laws have to be drawn. I have some idea where I'd personally feel a line had been crossed, and I have a notion that I should try to respect some other peoples boundaries, but yeah... after that it gets really vague, and the people who seem to think they've got it all figure out and can lecture you as to what is wrong or right to have in a collective story telling session make me vaguely uncomfortable. And I say that as a staunchly prude, Puritanical, traditional moralist that would feel rather strongly that I can assert what is right or wrong to actually do, as opposed to merely talk about. It seems to me that motive and presentation are rather important when discussing how story elements are handled.

I fear that my take on this has already been too complicated by having had too many female players and discovering they don't have any single set of standards they are sharing with each other and all agree to. However, when I hear some female gamers claim that things like pregnant PCs are signs of gross disrespect of women, I start to wonder if I missed something, and secretly some friend of mine has been fuming the whole time but afraid to tell me. So, I admit confusion. On the one hand, much of what I'm hearing just sounds wrong and coming from a strange place. On the other hand, I don't want to get this sort of thing wrong, since it's a bit more important than a game actually is.

I have no problems with continuing to discuss all these things with you. I think it might be better to address one individual concern or concept at a time when possible (because even as I type this I know this post is going to be HUGE on the screen), but I think the discussion itself has value in at lest educating people as to differences in perspectives (if nothing else).

Obryn

Hero
All we have is anecdotal evidence, and we have that pointing in two different directions. Some people say that they see it a lot and that its rampant, and some people say that they rarely see it and its about on par with what other groups experience.

I think its very disingenuous to pretend that all the evidence is pointing one way or another. There aren't any statistics backing this up, all we have are people discussing what they themselves have personally experienced.

I'd also like to add that I have a wide variety of interests that I'm heavily involved in (cars, games, fishing, religion/philosophy, football, music, etc.) - I have a great job and have a lot of free time ;) Unfortunately I've seen this same line in many of the hobbies I participate in. Not to derail this conversation, while I have opinions on religion I'm perfectly tolerant on peaceful people's views, but go look at atheism and "atheism+". A lot of other groups are all of a sudden having these same sorts of issues.
"All of a sudden having" or "finally speaking up about"?

If you want statistics, you can look up the statistics posted upthread about the percentage of women convention-goers who have experienced harassment or assault.

Do you think if the roles were reversed, and you had men claiming that women were groping them at these events, that you'd have the entire community just nodding their heads in agreement that of course this happened just as they stated? Again I'm not in the crowd that says this never happens. I think it does, but I'm merely asking to what extent?
Probably. But that's not what's happening, you'll note. Heck; you've noted it across other interests.

If there are no objective societal ills coming from sexism in games (even if we assume that all claims of sexism are actually instances of sexism), what makes this different from me not liking green beans? Without objective harm this seems to come down to just a difference in tastes. If this is just a difference in tastes get in line because I'm a mustang fan and I think camaros are ugly :p and that's a really big issue that's facing our society that we need to be made aware of!
Did you actually just compare sexism with disliking green beans?

I want to make sure I am clear before I respond to this, because if so, that's just wacky.

Elf Witch

First Post

If you want statistics, you can look up the statistics posted upthread about the percentage of women convention-goers who have experienced harassment or assault.

Probably. But that's not what's happening, you'll note. Heck; you've noted it across other interests.

I want to make sure I am clear before I respond to this, because if so, that's just wacky.

I read and that and went WTF can he really be that clueless?

Elf Witch

First Post

There's a reason why its done in court, its not some value that was arbitrarily plucked out of the air.

Are you serious that you don't understand the difference between sexism and not liking green beans? Your not liking green beans does not effect anyone but you. Being a sexist jerk effects the women you come in contact with it shapes your views on where we should be allowed and what we should be allowed to do.

I think if men were being groped and were unhappy about it and spoke up most women would not demand proof and since many of us have faced behavior like this we would have some empathy. What I can't figure out is why you think this is a female only issue. No one and I repeat no one deserves to be bullied and harassed. It is not just women being harassed but POC and LGBTQ as well.

The real problem is not women joining the game; the problem is that the proportion of real nerds is decreasing.

As a game becomes mainstream, it attracts more people from the middle of the bell curve, and you must now deal with idiots, whereas before, be they boyz or galz, you only had to deal with smart, mostly respectful and studious people.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The real problem is not women joining the game; the problem is that the proportion of real nerds is decreasing.

As a game becomes mainstream, it attracts more people from the middle of the bell curve, and you must now deal with idiots, whereas before, be they boyz or galz, you only had to deal with smart, mostly respectful and studious people.

"Real nerds"?
"middle of the bell curve"
"must now deal with idiots"

Where do you get the impression that members of the hobby before some point "T" in time before today that nerds were statistically better citizens than everyone else? When was this "Golden Age of Geekdom?

I mean, you do realize we're all humans, and as such, are just as vulnerable to all the same flaws as others. "Nerd-dom" does not innoculate you from being a misnthrope. A con-man. A stalker. A rapist. A killer.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
There's an almost religious fervor in your posts that is creeping me out. "Listen...believe...have faith...submit...":angel:

I find the exhortation to 'just believe' repellant, not just because the willful stupidity involved but because it infantilizes women to consider them incapable of lying or trolling for their own aggrandizement.

There is a third option to belief and denial: skepticism. One is skeptical when they're withholding belief but open to changing their mind as further evidence comes to light..

So take a look at the evidence then. The number of women and times they've claimed harassment (even just is cosplay alone) versus the number of times it has been determined a man was falsely accused by a woman for harassment. What's the bigger number?

If you're so much into "skepticism"... it seems to me that you really should be looking skeptically at the MEN who claim they've been falsely accused. Because the number of times that's been proven as actually true in comparison to the number of women proven right to having been harassed is miniscule.

I think it says a lot that you need hard evidence before you're willing to give all these women the benefit of the doubt, but have no problem giving it to the guys.

Taneras

First Post

I honestly don't know. I'd most certainly lean towards the latter if the trend in the past few years wasn't what it currently is. Feminist blogs about how men simply smiling at women is sexism, college students claiming they need therapy because someone wrote, in chalk, "Trump 2016" on some of their universities sidewalks. The screeching girl yelling at one of the Deans at Yale saying, in so many words, that Yale wasn't about creating an intellectual space for students, it's purpose should be to make them feel safe (this all came about because of Halloween Costumes and people dressing up as if they were members of a different ethnic group - which made many students at Yale feel unsafe). What I see, honestly, is a big jump in hypersensitivity. The issue I spoke about with atheism+? A woman in an elevator at an atheist convention was asked if she'd like to have coffee in a guys room, and from that calls for anti-sexual harassment policies and an entire split in the atheist community that's still present.

Again, don't take this as me discounting all claims, or even most. I'm just skeptical about the frequency.

For some reason this website is super slow loading, and I'm seeing over 20 pages. Do you know about where (first few pages, middle, or a few pages ago) it was discussed?

Probably? If you'd like we can go into statistics about how, generally speaking, men claiming to have been sexually assaulted by women is neglected by the authorities and glossed over by the public at large. Perhaps table top gaming communities are an outlier, but I really doubt it.

And I'm not trying to turn this into a conversation about male sexual assault victims, as this is about sexism, racism, etc. within the table top gaming community. I brought that up to show that on issues like these many people are generally skeptical regardless.

Yes, but not in the way you're understanding. Please re-read what I've said. Sexism in games. Unless sexism in games influences sexism in real life, and unless we're going to argue that the characters in said games are actually real, have rights, and are suffering because they're exposed to sexism then it's simply a matter of taste. If there is no harm being caused besides people's sensibilities being offended, which can happen with any activity mind you, then what's the issue?

If sexism in games doesn't cause sexism in real life, and those characters experiencing sexism in those games aren't actually real people, then there's nothing wrong with it. You might as well be pointing to a violent movie where people are being killed as wrong because murder is wrong. Well unless that movie, and movies like it, actually affect the population, and unless the movie is fake and those people really aren't being killed, we're back to simply a matter of taste.

Last edited:

Remove ads