Harlot Adventures?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
So a player in my game has decided they want to be a Harlot, aiming towards rising through the ranks to become an influential Courtesan and possibly even gain the favour of the Goddess of Lust.

Which gets me to wondering are there any harlot-themed adventures in existence? Can anyone point to a Dungeon mag module or some other source that might help.

Any other ideas on how to service the desires of an adventuring harlot?

Shayuri

First Post
There's a book for it in 3.5. Kind of. Depending on y'all's comfort level.

Also, it seems like you've got it backwards there. Servicing desires is the adventure of the harlot, yes? :)

Celebrim

Legend
Oh this thread can't possibly go anywhere bad.

No, I don't think there has been anything published along those lines.

You might want to check out some fantasy stories for ideas. Try Hughart's 'The Story of the Stone' and the complete works of Jacqueline Carey.

Though frankly, I think you'd be better of having ordinary adventures and having the courtesan adventurer use her wiles to overcome whatever obstacles you'd normally face. Anything with court intrigue might be especially suitable, but really, if you are willing to work with the theme, basically we are talking about is a very specific form of diplomancy.

This might be awkward in a social game, especially one occurring face to face.

Last edited:

Mallus

Legend
Here's a weird suggestion. There's an iOS (maybe Android, too) choose-your-own adventure set in Tekumel. Choice of the Petal Throne, I think. It's really good. I kept playing though with the pleasure goddess as my patron (Dlamelish, maybe?). Might serve as a source of inspiration -- even if not, the writing is good, and easily worth a few bucks.

Shayuri

First Post
I was thinking the Book of Erotic Fantasy, but that's several editions old.

Even so, yeah, I can't see something like that working at a tabletop game unless...yeah, nevermind. Not going there. (^_^)

ccs

41st lv DM
What do the other players want to play?

Writing adventures for the harlot is one thing. Writing them so that the other players are equally involved....

Agree with both [MENTION=4937]Celebrim[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6803664]ccs[/MENTION].

Jacqueline Carey is a very good source for ideas. And, it seems like it would be very hard to run such an adventure for a typical party. Running such a things for a group of harlots would be do-able, but a harlot, a cleric, and a paladin? That might be .... difficult.

Mad_Jack

Legend
As mentioned, in a party whose other members aren't going to have an emphasis on social and/or sexual manipulation, being a harlot or courtesan is best going to work as a background element of the character or simply their preferred method of dealing with certain specific interactions/situations rather than the main emphasis and goal of the character.
Depending on character class, the character is probably best played as a standard diplomancer (emphasis on social skills and charm/illusion magic). Bard, rogue and cleric or some multiclass thereof would work well.

Surprisingly, although the 3rd Ed. Book of Erotic Fantasy was absolute unmitigated trash as far as 99.9% of the mechanical crunch was concerned, the discussion of things like introducing seduction and sex into a campaign and how to handle more adult-oriented issues in-game was actually quite good and worth reading.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
What do the other players want to play?

Writing adventures for the harlot is one thing. Writing them so that the other players are equally involved....

3 players, all mature and able to do social interactions. we we're looking at a more urban setting and riffing off a reference to the old harlot table. So one player (female) mentioned playing a harlot-wouldbe-courtesan and the other two piped in with "I could be your Pimp" and "we can roll the johns".

I sat there wondering how I could spin that into some adventures and even a campaign...

Remove ads